How much should I pay for a wheelbuild?

Smacks

Likes Bikes and Dirt
See title.

I've been quoted anywhere from $2-300 for a 36h build with $2 spokes.

Am I being over/undercharged?

moodybluebob

Likes Dirt
well there around $72 for spokes, lets throw in $30 for labour.

so nah.. it shouldbt be $300.. unless your buying the rim included into it.

'Ross

Eats Squid
$60 is the standard for a quality build, at least at Shifterbikes (top wheelbuilder for Mavic) and the guy at BSC (some good reputation) That being said Im building my next wheelset myself:cool: Ill probably take it in to someone proper after to true/tune it though.

Stacks!

Likes Dirt
as was said,m $72 for spokes is unavoidable, but i wouldn't be paying more than $40 for labour. That's what my lbs charges and they do a awesome job every time. Wheels that just refuse to break, even with dh

tallongdownhill

Likes Dirt
We recently got a rim built up for my mate,we supplied the hub and needed a rim and to be laced to the hub.We were supplied with a mavic ex729 rim and DT spokes all fitted and trued for $195 form my local LBS.If they are sayin 200 to 300 just for spokes fitted and trued, I would look elsewhere.:)

Matt H

Eats Squid
Yeah, I'd say you're being F'd in the A.

Where I work we usually charge $50 tops for labour, depending on the wheel.
If you like the store just say you've been quoted x amount somewhere else and if they'll match it for you or something. $230 for labour is definitely exorbitant.

Ty

Eats Squid
I've charged $30 to $50 depending on the the pattern, quality required and who I was building it for, I'd expect to pay about the same if not more for a quality job with a re-true/tension after a few weeks.

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
expect to pay about the same if not more for a quality job with a re-true/tension after a few weeks.
That's the good stuff. Anyone can build a wheel and have it hold true for a few weeks. But it's the ones that are willing to back their work and offer a quick check/tension over the next few weeks that are worth looking at.