How strong are TWE hubs?

jonathan_k

Likes Bikes
I'm hunting for a new set of wheels for a Pivot Mach 6 which currently has 650b Sun Ringle Charger Comps on it (burping them with 30psi+).

Seems like DT Swiss 350 or Hope 4 Pro hubs are the defacto standard for heavier duty use.

I saw that local wheel builder TWE gets pretty good reviews but use their own hubs.

Does anyone have experience with the hubs? I'm a bit concerned about an unknown hub as historically I've been pretty hard on them, chewing then out. I went through 3 or 4 before settling on a bombproof Aireal when I was riding a few years back.

TWE will build wheels with DT Swiss 350 but I reckon it will push the wheel set over my budget (around $800).

The best I've come up with is CRC built Easton ARC 27's with Hope Pro 4 for $710 (same wheelset priced locally at $1050...).

PUL54R

Likes Bikes
I cant really comment about the MTB hubs but I have a set of Road wheel built by TWE, when i ordered a replacement freehub body, to covert it from 10sp to 11sp road, it was a Novatec one.
My guess would be the MTB hubs might be Novatec also, just make sure the hubs are convertible to different axle sizes, since there seems to be a new standard come out every other year.

One comment is the bearings in TWE hubs seem to spin better than any hub i have owned in the past (DTSwiss 350, 240s or Hope)

clockworked

Like an orange
i went through one of his 142x12 hubs in about 6 months. the freehub ate itself, then the replacement wouldn't fit. I got sick of dealing with him after that

Opposite Lock

Likes Bikes
Got two sets. One are XC build, and the other heavy trail bike use.

Both sets of hubs have been bulletproof. The trail riding wheels have now done 4800km in total, including some serious abuse, trip to Canada, 7 day stage racing and general smashing locally.

Can't fault them (hubs or entire wheels). I'm 90kg.

Only ever broken one spoke - due to a stick !!!

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
If you are wrecking the free hub of other brand hubs I would seriously invest in DT Swiss. Instead of having a pawl system with 4-6 points of contact they have a dual ratchet system with 18 or 36 points of contact (depending if you upgrade them). Their free hub also pulls off without tools so it's easy to clean and lube.

I used to have frequent issues with Hope free hub springs breaking. My DT hubs have been faultless for 10,000km.

DT hubs might seem expensive, but they are a one off expense that will be cheaper in the long run.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have a set of TWE wheels and a pawl broke in the free hub over the weekend. These wheels have not had a very hard life but I have had them for 2 years. Now I need to go through the pain of trying to find a replacement pawl or freehub.

asa572

Likes Dirt
I cant really comment about the MTB hubs but I have a set of Road wheel built by TWE, when i ordered a replacement freehub body, to covert it from 10sp to 11sp road, it was a Novatec one.
My guess would be the MTB hubs might be Novatec also, just make sure the hubs are convertible to different axle sizes, since there seems to be a new standard come out every other year.
Pretty sure they are just Novatec re branded as TWE.

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
+1 for contact Greg, as clockworked hinted, the hubs have evolved and I got sent the wrong end caps at one stage, and then the wrong xd driver, but both times Greg sorted it right away

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

bmar560

Likes Dirt
The front hubs are fine.
I've had issues with the pawls on the rear hub, fixed it once and then the issue re-occured. So I upgraded the rear hub to a DT240, money well spent.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I got onto Greg about my broken pawl and he is sending me a replacement pawl and a stronger spring posted free, great service.