How to bleed Hayes Mags help!!

smarty

Likes Dirt
:evil: arrrh!!! 1st time bleeding a brand new hayes mags disk brake, 2 nights, 1 bottle of dot4 wasted, but still no enough power, feel somehow spongy, I know theres air in it but I pumped a whole bottle of dot4 through but still seems no bubble coming out :( any tips guys?
I followed every step on the hayes manual, using hayes bleed kit, bike on 45", push pistons back etc, is there anything else I should know which is not on the manual? do you press the lever in and out during bleeding?

Thanks!!

Regan

Eats Squid
1: make sure there is no leaks in the system

2: Make sure you have thread tape on the bleed nipple thread. If you don't it can drew air in here.

3: Take the caliper off the bike and give it a light tap and a shake while bleeding as bubbles can be caught in areas of the caliper.

No you should not press the lever during bleeding. Only give the lever a few short flicks (about 5mm) when you see fluid appearing in the hose that is attached to the lever.

NightRider

Likes Bikes
I got better results by replacing the bottles with 50ml (or 25mL) syringes. You can push the fluid in from both top or bottom, which helps dislodge any bubbles. Giving the levers a bit of a flick also helps. Be VERY careful not to push the pots outs. Very messy (from personal experience :oops: )

The first time I bled my Mags, I had to do it a couple of times to get a decent results. Practice makes perfect.

And for other first time brake bleeders - have a whole bunch of rags handy. You might need them!