How to Bunny-Hop to Fakie

Roly

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Can anyone give me advice on how to bunny-hop to fakie?

I am relatively sure i have the bunnyhop height to do it (about 1.5-2 feet) but I don't know how to go the 180 degrees - there was an article in AMB ages ago (from Naz i believe) but thats been long since and was also relatively difficult to interpret :p .

If anyone has some sort of step-by step method on what to do that would be rad.

Thanks!
Roly

|Matt|

Banned
Are you trying to do a flatland 180 then fakie out of it? I'm a little confused?

If its the flatland 180 and then fakie, I can help you with that.

Roly

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yer thats it

i guess not knowing how to do comes from not knowing how to say and describe it :p

bunnhyop 180 to fakie is what im looking for

billymtb

Likes Dirt
if its a 180 to fakie

carve 20 - 30 degrees, lift up the front and bunnyhop

whilst your doing this flick the back around turn your head the way your spinning

matty hall

Likes Dirt
okay.
1. steadily roll art a walking pase to start of
2. untill you get it dialed you mite want to wobble you bars side to side to get into the motion
3.bunny hop and similtaniasley (sp) look to your prefered side and dont stop looking until you hit the ground again.
4. once you landturn your bars the direction you were alreadys spinning andyour front wheel will roll aroud and you will have done it.

hope it helps. im not very good at explaining.

LJohn

Likes Dirt
okay.
1. steadily roll art a walking pase to start of
2. untill you get it dialed you mite want to wobble you bars side to side to get into the motion
3.bunny hop and simultaneously (sp) look to your prefered side and dont stop looking until you hit the ground again.
4. once you landturn your bars the direction you were alreadys spinning andyour front wheel will roll aroud and you will have done it.
It's a b of a word.

But you're bang on. Just try and look at your arse after you've hopped.

Bretty.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
commitment, commitment, commitment and practise! Don't think about it too much, or it'll start to get to ya. When your just randomly riding along, try it. Alot of the time its just a matter of commitment, and if you kill the time your brains take to register and flee from the risk, you less you freak out.

Last edited:

poppa_johns

Likes Bikes and Dirt
not really because you are only moving slowly, and if you do then you have no chance under roatiting a 360

Tomsy

Likes Dirt
180 2 fakie

I found that if i roo hopped the 180 it was easier to land both wheels at once. ps its hell easier on a BMX.

Chumbo

Likes Dirt
give it a good carve and commit to popping the back up like you would in a normal bunnyhop. thats the key to getting it around. To land in a stable fakie you should work on landing both wheels together and with your weight balanced well over the bike. Sounds like you have plenty of height, perhaps just need to avoid dropping/dragging the back around before you have the rotation. Also if you practice hopping over/off/from a kerb or even just a line on the ground it can help you get a better feel for it.

Roly

Likes Bikes and Dirt
thanks for the help guys

my problem right now is multi-faceted:
a) i have issues committing and find myself (involuntarily) looking forward again and looking away from behind
b) my brain is finding it hard to combine the bunnyhop with the twist-and-look of the upper body - i end up only getting the rear wheel a little off the ground and landing majorly rear-wheel first at only 90 degrees
c) also today i landed with my ankle in an awkward position which really hurt :(

how long did it take people to get it because im a bit put off right now by the difficulty? I guess my main problem is how on earth to get a whole 180 degrees instead of my current 9. anything more to add?

thanks again :)

Chumbo

Likes Dirt
I used to do it gumby style hopping both wheels at once and just twisting, I guess it took me a while to learn and make myself use the proper bunnyhop style especially when going fast.

If you can do 90, try going across a really mellow slope and hop your 90 or whatever you're comfortable doing so you roll out fakie. When you get comfortable and start having fun with that eventually you will progress to more and more spin and eventually have your 180. The slope might also stop your back from dragging/dropping too soon. If its worrying I suggest going real slow and use a really mellow slope.