How to change slx m7000 brake lines over

Flip666

Likes Dirt
Had a groupset arrive from Merlin today for a hardtail build. And the brakes are arse about, I've undone the nut from the lever but the hose doesn't want to come out ? Anyone know how they come out?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Pull. That's it. Once the nut is off, you just pull the hose out. It can be a little jammed in because the olive gets squashed in, but that's all it is.

Flip666

Likes Dirt
Pull. That's it. Once the nut is off, you just pull the hose out. It can be a little jammed in because the olive gets squashed in, but that's all it is.
Thanks, I just tried the other one and that came out fairly easily. But the other one is super stuck! I'll keep trying.. can you get away with reusing the olives?

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Don't reuse the olive & barb - just get yourself to a local bike shop & buy some more. They are not expensive.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Olives & barbs are single-use, although if you're not changing hose length you can get away with just plugging them back in, but it's not recommended to do too many times. The brakes *should* come with a spare of each, because the stock hose lengths are generous and usually need cutting down to suit the individual bike.

Flip666

Likes Dirt
Olives & barbs are single-use, although if you're not changing hose length you can get away with just plugging them back in, but it's not recommended to do too many times. The brakes *should* come with a spare of each, because the stock hose lengths are generous and usually need cutting down to suit the individual bike.
Thanks ducky, on further inspection of the bag of goodies there are spares in there. And the hose is miles to long. So will cut down. Do I need special cutters as to not mash the hose or a good sharp pair of side cutters sufficient?
I might do a test cut near the end and see how it looks

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Don't use side cutters. At a pinch good "parrot beak" type cable cutters will do a passable job, but better to use the supplied clamping blocks (yellow plastic with a groove along one face) in a bench vice and cut with a very sharp blade. Then while the hose is clamped tap the new barb into the end.