How to: Convert Sprung Boxxers to WC's

mike-

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Had a few happy people when I did abit of a How to on bleeding the brakes, thought I may aswell give it ago for this.

Now I'm sure people might disagree with this, blah blah different stanchions and I did it wrong, but I'm sure some people will be happy.

This will work for Boxxer Races, Teams, and converts them too the same intnerals as Boxxer World Cups.

Now before you attemp this, PLEASE read, study, worship, completely understand the Boxxer Service Manual that can we downloaded from the Sram website.

What you will need:
-Boxxer WC solo air spring ASSY (Part # 114311492000)
-Boxxer WC solo air top cap (Part # 114311493000)
-Fork Oil (I used 5wt)
-Grease (I used slick honey)
-24mm socket
-Thin Nosed Pliers
-4 and 5mm allen keys
-Metho, lots of it
-Rag on a stick

How to do it:

First of all, you need your left hand stanchion out of the fork (you can actuall leave the motion control (right hand side) one in to do this).

Firstly undo the bolt on the bottom of the leg 2 turns. Then put a bit of wood on it then give it a whack with a hammer. Hit it so the bolts sits flush again. Then completely remove the bolt (Oil will drain out the bottom leg at this point, be careful, mess is bad).

Now loosen all the bolts in the crowns holding the stanchion in place. Then give the stanchion a pull, it should come straight out.

OK now we need to pull apart the internals of the stanchion. First undo the top cap with the 24mm socket (bit of a hint is to just loosen this slightly when the stanchion is still locked into the crowns).

Once the top cap is off, push the rod from the bottom of the stanchion, and this will push the spring out of the stanchion.

Once the spring is out, turn the leg upside down and let the rod fall through aswell.

Next you need to remove the C-clip on the bottom of the leg. Can be abit of a bitch to do, just use the nose of the pliers. There are a couple of washers that will now come out too.

You should be left with just the stanchion.

Cleaning.

Get the metho, clean all the grease/oil out of the leg. Make sure it's perfectly cleen. Then get your rag on a stick and give it an extra clean out.

Then clean it again to make sure.

(NB. This is the point that some people polish the inside of their stanchion, I plan to get WC stanchion's soonly).

Next we need to put the new air cartridge into the fork.

But first, get your grease and coat all of the O-rings. I pretty much covered the whole cartridge.

The new air cartridge goes into the bottom of the stanchion. Just slide it in and put the bottom plastic stopped thingy (yes very technical) into the groove it sits in.

Lastly put the new C-clip back into the stanchion, holding the air cartridge in place.

Next I put a few mL of 5wt fork oil into the top of the stanchion.

I also completely cleaned out the lowers, and put some oil into the lowers.

Time to put the stanchion back onto the bike.

Just slide it down the crowns the same way it came out.

Just be careful not to get the edges of the fork seals folded in.

Once the stanchion in the whole way in, screw the bolt back into the rod.

Set your crowns at the right height, then tighten all the bolts again.

Grease the threads of the top of the stanchion. With the 24mm socket screw in the new top cap.

Go get your shock pump, and fill that bloody huge hair chamber (it's abit of an effort if you pump doesnt have a low pressure setting or whatever it's called).

And we should be done.

Attachments

Last edited:

heath_92

Banned
Thats wicked. There will be a few people that do this I reckon. I've got a mate who I'm sure will give it a go.

{ScarFace}

Likes Dirt
Props on the great thread. If only I was technically minded enough to do it.

Can I ask how you learnt how to do it? I would think that SRAM and Rock Shox wouldn't be too keen on showing it around.

mike-

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Download the manual.

It tell you how to pull apart the Team, and put back together the WC.

What more do you need :rolleyes:

BLAKE-2234

Likes Bikes and Dirt
one question

is it absolutely neccessary to have the inside of the staunchion polished or (the air staunchion) or can you run it just like you have by giving it a thorough clean?

very interested aswell as how much those parts cost?

cheeers

edit i have the same alan key set as you lol
oh and also may be a great sticky thread or a thread with all this guys how to's in it

Last edited:

mike-

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Photographs, real life description and ability to discuss the topic with someone else who has done it?
If I managed, I'm sure anyone else can.

But really, I have pulled Boxxer's apart before, and knew that their internals really are simple, so I was fairly confident.

If anyone has any questions be sure to ask :)

As for the polish stanchion. The advantage I can see (But i don't know) is that the polished surface will provide less sticktion (sp?) and prolong the life of O-rings.

supergayracer

Likes Dirt
word to the kids!!!!!!!
you will be better off if you use minimal grease ( but still coat everything ) in the air spring assembly... also just use 4-5ml of oil in the top of the stanchion and about 3 ml in the negative side... using too much oil and grease can lead to problems with the self adjusting negative spring thingy...am interested to know how well the air spring performs without the polished stanchion

VTSS350

Likes Bikes and Dirt
-Mike- is buying a new stauntion, but as he said you can polish the inside of the race or team stauntion. I have converted 6 or 7 now and they are all running perfectly.

Last edited:

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
a ride report from mike last night said just pushing up and down they felt the same but as soon as you got into riding it, it was a whole different ride coming off a team

were going for a good ride this weekend and im sure hell have a good report by then

DINGUS

Likes Bikes
So to get the parts do i just go to my LBS or have to order directly from rockshox? also how much are they?

mike-

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep I know too much grease is bad. I just coated it all nicely.

So far the air is working 100% perfectly without the polished stanchion.

It has a tiny bit of noticable sticktion when just sitting on the bike, but when your off riding you can't feel that at all.

The feeling of the air below me rather than the spring is the biggest difference I can feel so far, but that is to be expected with a completely differt type of fork.

I chuck the shock pump on to check I hadn't leaked any air, still sitting at 130psi which is good.

I guess I'll be able to give a better indication after the weekend, and they have to put up to a DH track.

Cave Dweller

Eats Squid
3ml's-5ml's of oil is all you need in the air spring side. No more, no less.

You don't need to excessively grease everything on the solo spring either, that is what the oil is for. The more sticky grease you slap on the more chance it will block the solo air piston, and it will not make your fork feel as plush. Just a little to get the air spring in without damaging the o-rings is all you need.

You should follow the proper rebuild notes on the SRAM sight regarding where and what to grease and proper oil levels. There is a full step by step instructions with pictures.

http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/95-4311-775-000 2006 Boxxer Service Guide.pdf

Lastly, you should use the honed leg, or at least polish the inside of the existing leg to get the best performance out of the fork.

Cave Dweller

Eats Squid
I chuck the shock pump on to check I hadn't leaked any air, still sitting at 130psi which is good.
It shouldn't leak any air seeing the solo air assembly is new. but without the polished stanchion you may find air will be leaking from positive to negative side internally, but this can't be detected by a shock pump.