How to deal with a drunken mate?

jackmac91

Likes Dirt
Ok guys, I need some help here.
We all have a mate or 2 who get a few to many drinks into them and screw things up bad. I'm not talking about getting smashed and tripping over shit.
I'm talking about getting so smashed that it goes way past the point of having fun to the point where said person is starting fights with their mates and saying stupid shit to the people that care about them..
And most of all, When they do the same shit every god damn weekend untill their mates have had enough.

Anyone had to deal with it?
Can you help me out?

Cheers, Jack

jackmac91

Likes Dirt
Hey plow thats actually a pretty good idea.. I might have to give that one a shot.
I may just get punched for doing it but might be worth it.
Anyone else got some advice?

DJninja

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Most annoying thing at parties are the mates like these. Usually I just walk away because it pisses me off to much. That's only if I'm 99.9% they can look after themselves/are in a safe environment. If your at a big open or a venue with a lot of people you don't know then it's a lot harder, probably just try and get them out of there.

Also tell him to man the fuck up and learn how to drink responsability and let him know that every time he gets smashed he is ruining the night for everyone else.

Alec McJo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Kick him in the teeth.

But in all seriousness, this is why I hate people who don't know when to stop drinking. I had one of the worst nights of my life trying to look after 3 people who made complete idiots of themselves and if it ever happened again I would actually walk away, which is the best option. It really showed me why theres a legal age for drinking though!

BUSHPIG

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Tell him the next day that when he gets drunk he acts like a complete fwit and makes his mates pissed off.
Then tell him that you won't drink with him anymore if he can't control it.

Macr

Likes Dirt
For a start is he 18 yet? Seriously. I looking at the 91 in your name and taking a punt you are born in 91 and your mate is around the same age.
I like the bit about the video camera, but if he is such a farkwit, then maybe he should not drink at all. I tend to dump idiots that act like that when they are drunk and disassociate from them, from that point on. Let them know why though, because the last thing you want is to be in trouble with the court system, especially if he glasses someone and you did nothing to stop him.

mrcurlyhead

Likes Dirt
well what you could do is give him more alchihole untill he passes out there he will be nice and quit unless he snoorze wich will F**K you up lol

but i mean dont go out with them if there gonna be asses

jackmac91

Likes Dirt
Mac'r
He's not 18 and neither am I.
The thing is that all my other mates know when to stop and can control themselves, Even If they do have to much they know to go and take a break, have a glass of water and chill the fuck out. Nobody else I drink with causes trouble.
I don't want a lecture on underage drinking.
It looks like the common idea is to give a good kick in the ass and tell him to sort himself out.
Who's actually done that? Results?

C.H.B

Likes Dirt
well what you could do is give him more alchihole untill he passes out there he will be nice and quit unless he snoorze wich will F**K you up lol

but i mean dont go out with them if there gonna be asses
thats
not bad advice,if he realises his friends dont have anything to do with him anymore then maybe he'll consider his actions.Other than that all i can say is be responsible yourself (which it sounds like you are)and try and help your friend anyway you can without getting hurt yourself even if it means apologising to people he offends or hurts.Does his parents know he's a pisswreck?

jackmac91

Likes Dirt
Does his parents know he's a pisswreck?[/QUOTE]

Telling his parents was an idea that another mate and I had.
It will almost certainly end that friendship...
they know he drinks and they have seen him so drunk he can't walk. but he doesn't do anything like what I've mentioned while he's around them.

DeBloot

Feeling old
Really, drinking like he does is indicative of a deeper problem. Bottom line is that he won't change, so you have to.
Stop telling him where you're going or avoid him when you're there.
I don't know how to go about avoiding him, but I do know for sure that you can try to change his behaviour as much as you like, but he ain't changing one bit until he admits he's got a problem and needs to do something about it.
And I'll bet you that according to him, he's got no problem. He just likes a drink.
I'm not saying he's an alcoholic necessarily, but he does have a problem. Anyway, my opinion is he's no mate. He's a selfish prick who needs to grow up. Plenty of fun people to be mates with - drop this one.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Telling his parents was an idea that another mate and I had.
It will almost certainly end that friendship.
Sounds like his behaviour is going to end a lot of friendships if he can't/won't leave the piss alone for a while and sort himself out.

He may not be an alcoholic yet, but if he keeps going like he is, it'll only be a matter of time.

copps

Likes Bikes
This reminds me of a couple of guys I was really good freinds with when I was younger. They were idiots on the piss, always looking for a blue, and then losing, or having the rest of us sort it out for them. We went our separate ways at one stage and I didn't see them for five or six years. Then they ended up back on the scene one day, and of course wanted to "catch up" and go out on the gas. I agreed, but told them that I wasn't down for any of their old shennanigans. So off we went to the Mean Fiddler. The night ended up in an all in brawl, which luckily the Staff managed to control eventually. I cracked it and said thats it. It took them about six months to get me to agree to go out with them again, and then you guessed it, another punch up. I quite simply had nothing more to do with them after that. One of the two was much worse than the other, and he ended up getting hospitalised by a group of guys at the Quaker inn a few months later.

Bottom line, guys like that can seldom help themselves, and sometimes all you can do is walk away.

l +Jarrod+ l

Likes Dirt
IF you want to still be his mate, and you his, then just do it slow but obvious. Ignore him, dont mention the next party, say he did some very very stupid crap and your all over it, he will see your all fed up with the crap, and he'll sort himself out or worse, walk away from you and end up drinking him self dead. Try not to make him stop (Video camera, etc), he wont learn nearly as much as if he made the decision to stop himself.

or COMPLETELY ditch his arse, he will feel lonley which will let him think about it, and then most likely come back asking forgivness.....(give it to him)

Anyway, basicaly alot of good can come out of the already screwed up situation.

kyleman

Likes Dirt
  1. Film him at his worst
  2. Tell him after every drunken night he hooked up with some disgusting as chick or even a man, make it convincing though

hodges

Likes Bikes
As a non-drinker it hard for me not to complain about everyone of my mates that drinks. But, even i know when the line gets crossed.

I like the idea of getting a camera and filming them to show em what knobs they are as it could be very effective.

I find though, because my mates all know i cant stand drinking and it pisses me off. I'll yell at them fair serious and get stuck right into them, generally this clicks something in their heads and they know to settle down.

So i think sometimes you've just gotta get on their case and they will if only temporarily slow down or stop!

*Kind of bad also, but my ex used to say to me, stop me from drinking too much before i'd do stupid stuff, i never did and she did stupid things. When she complained and asked y i didn't tell her to stop, i reminded her that its her own lack of self control/responsibility for her drinking not me!

Hope this helps

Last edited:

|Matt|

Banned
I've had this problem with one mate several times before. I've wanted to smack him into the next week a few times. He gets angry, horny and everything that is bad when you are pissed.

Long story short, don't invite them next time and after a while of hearing people talking about how good the gatherings were they might realise why they weren't invited.

People need to know when to stop. I mean, even at a mates 18th I asked a mate that I could really trust that if I got past the point of any sort of reasoning (about when to stop) that he take my drinks away from me and once I had sobered up a bit then I could have more. Its good to have a mate like this, especially if they don't drink much.