How to do I sell a less than perfect car?

carpetrunner

Likes Dirt
Burners, kinda opposite of the Project cars thread...

My partner's VW caddy is less than perfect, there is a lot of internal rust due to carting salty wet dogs to and from the beach, the rear doors don't open any more, cause the locks are stuffed full of sand and there are some bent panels. It looks like crap, but it drives well and has a fantastic 1.9 TDI with the older/good/reliable DSG gearbox, 8 months of rego and 250K on the clock.

I could spend a few weekends "detailing" the internal rust, but unless I get the external panels straightened it will still look like crap - and I'm not interested in plowing a couple of thousand in to sell it for a couple of thousand.

What should I do?

So how do I sell a crap car?

- carpetrunner

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Same as any other car, but price it lower than nothing else in good condition, or allow for enough of a discount to account for the repairs. Just be honest in any advertising you do so buyers don’t get annoyed when they turn up to inspect.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Sounds like it should be cheap and described honestly. There will be a trader or a backpacker wanting basically sound mechanically but not fussed on cosmetics.

Clean out the locks and get everything basically working though - working doors would be worth the effort to sell...

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Sounds like it should be cheap and described honestly. There will be a trader or a backpacker wanting basically sound mechanically but not fussed on cosmetics.

Clean out the locks and get everything basically working though - working doors would be worth the effort to sell...
just make an offer, least he can say is F...O..!

moorey

call me Mia

Can’t see it possibly passing a RWC with the described rust.

T.3

Likes Dirt
I had a T4 transporter that developed a loud whining noise and was cosmetically less than perfect. I was completely honest in the ad about it and priced it accordingly. It sold within a day.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Quite often I hear a whining noise from the passenger seat. Goes away when I am the only one in the car.