How to get to the top with no shuttle car???

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I wish I had that sucker when I lived near the north shore... that said, climbing in rain/hail/snow taught me to cimb really well :) and letsbe honest, you gravity assisted guys need the exercise :p

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
So I doubt this would help, at least not if you want to do things legally.

Spec page of the web site says 3.5HP, no wonder it rips up that hill in the video. 3.5 hp = 2.66Kw, or 2660 watts.
Exactly. if you want a motor bike, buy a motor bike and find somewhere legal to ride it.

The advantages of pushing up the hill, extra fitness/strength: good way of inspecting the trail (you'd be surprised at how you can spot different lines while walking up the trail): Opportunity to do a little bit of trail maintenance on the way up, remove that stick, kick that sand out of the berm, fix that bit of loose rock armouring...

DJT

Likes Bikes
The advantages of pushing up the hill, extra fitness/strength: good way of inspecting the trail (you'd be surprised at how you can spot different lines while walking up the trail): Opportunity to do a little bit of trail maintenance on the way up, remove that stick, kick that sand out of the berm, fix that bit of loose rock armouring...[/QUOTE]

This Hit The nail on the head, and burried it.

atschool

Likes Bikes
Exactly. if you want a motor bike, buy a motor bike and find somewhere legal to ride it.

The advantages of pushing up the hill, extra fitness/strength: good way of inspecting the trail (you'd be surprised at how you can spot different lines while walking up the trail): Opportunity to do a little bit of trail maintenance on the way up, remove that stick, kick that sand out of the berm, fix that bit of loose rock armouring...
Most of the DH tracks I've ridden in WA, QLD and VIC are shuttled by 4WDs. Don't really see how attaching a motor onto your bike is going to be any worse in terms of the environment in these situations.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
Most of the DH tracks I've ridden in WA, QLD and VIC are shuttled by 4WDs. Don't really see how attaching a motor onto your bike is going to be any worse in terms of the environment in these situations.
Never said anything at all about it being better than 4x4 environmentally. But 4x4s are legal to dirve on public roads, unregistered motor bikes are not.

Interestingly one of the more outrageous arguments BM residents put up against legalising OBR was the polution caused by the fact that all DHers shuttle in "massive, fuel gussling, smog spewwing" 4wds.

Not just normal 4wds mind but "massive, fuel gussling, smog spewwing" ones:(

atschool

Likes Bikes
Never said anything at all about it being better than 4x4 environmentally. But 4x4s are legal to dirve on public roads, unregistered motor bikes are not.
Point taken. But with a lot of DHs being located pretty far from built up areas and hence 'the eyes of the law' I don't think legality will be an issue. If it is, then people sitting in the back of utes shuttling up the hill (which was common a few years ago, don't know about now) would be equally problematic. FWIW I think there is a place for these things. With a bit of common sense (i.e. not using it on public roads or in "green" zones) it could be a viable alternative to 4WD shuttling or the dreaded walk up.

Interestingly one of the more outrageous arguments BM residents put up against legalising OBR was the polution caused by the fact that all DHers shuttle in "massive, fuel gussling, smog spewwing" 4wds.

Not just normal 4wds mind but "massive, fuel gussling, smog spewwing" ones:(
That's just strange:confused:

flamshmizer

Likes Dirt
You could easily find a car for $800 and take turns in shuttling with some friends..
Yes, but then you also have to pay rego, and be old enough to drive and lets face it, anyone old enough to drive that enjoys downhill probably owns or is saving for a ute anyway. That said, 800 bucks is probably out of the price range of most people who aren't old enough to drive, leaving this product looking for a niche.....

Reubs

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I could only see this as a useful thing if you had a car and it was a super long shuttle. Stash it in the bush at the bottom of the hill, drive up, ride down, pick up said contraption, rip up the hill to pick up your car. Otherwise what a waste of money. There is no f---ing way I would carry that p.o.s. around in a backpack while riding.

solokiter

Likes Bikes
Good concept

I think the concept is brilliant, however the practical side may raise a few eyebrows... Especially the Greenies.

On the You Tube video he is shuttling back up a long gravel mountain road = perfect. However, shuttling back up the main road with cars etc. = not so good.

Last edited:

simplesimon76

Likes Dirt
i'm with old mate, packing that thing on your back, go hurdling down a mountain and then crashing, scary, to me, that would be the biggest downer, before tyres and greenies and stuff.