How to measure steerer length

DVS969

Likes Dirt
Im lookin at buying some new forks for my 2006 Specialized P2 and am wondering where i measure to find out what steerer length i will need to look for. Thanks

Craftworks

Craftworks
Really depends on what headset, stem and stack height you want to use... If you buy the forks news the steerer comes super long so you can cut to the right length.

Best way to sort it out is to dry assemble the whole lot the measure to the top of the stem, minus 2 mm so the steered doesn't bottom out on the top cap. Make sure you measure this properly - working in shops I have seen people cut steerers too short by accident making the forks useless..

To make it easy to get the steerer long enough and not bottoming out on the top cap (prevents headset being able to be adjusted) I always use a >5mm spacer on top of the stem - also insures that the steerer is supported properly.

If you are not sure take it too your LBS

DVS969

Likes Dirt
Im lookin at a set with a 160mm steerer, they will be going straight on with the stock headset and stem so other than pulling the forks out and measuring the steerer i thought i might be able to measure it on the bike.

skwiz05

Likes Bikes and Dirt
measure from top of fork crown to bottom edge of steerer cap, minus 2mm. Should put you in the ballpark.