Howdy from the new guy

Salce77

Squid
Hi guys
Names Anthony from Kilcunda in Victoria. Been into mountain bikes for ages and after a short stint off them I'm getting back into it.

I mainly ride Lysterfield, Beaconsfield, Officer and the Yarra trails. I've also been as far as the You yangs and Beechworth. I'm currently riding a Scott Reflex duallie but want to upgrade to something with 140 to 150 mm travel. Been looking at Giant trance's, Trek fuel ex's and Rocky Mountain Slayers.

Planning on doing a ride at Mt Buller before the season ends and would like to take something a tad more capable with me. Looking for second hand with a budget of around $2000, (unless my 1996 GSXR 750 sells then the budget will rise to $3000).

What are everyone's thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Hi Anthony,

Surprised your intro hasn't been mobbed by all and sundry with advice yet...

I'm also a newbie to RB and mtb's more generally. Being in QLD I'm not familiar with the trails you mention, but regardless I think your $2k budget would best be spent on a better quality second hand dual-suspension bike as opposed to new; at the $3k mark you could go either way. There are plenty of new 2015 bikes on sale around the place, and there are also some good looking bikes here in the for sale section. Giant, Trek, Norco, Scott (and Canyon?) would all have suitable bikes in your upper price range - go for a test ride or two perhaps.

Salce77

Squid
Thanks for the advise, I'm planning on buying second hand now as I now I'll be able to pick up a better spec bike than if buying new. I have had a quick look in the for sale section but as I'm unable to post in it it makes it difficult to contact sellers. Most bikes I've seen on eBay etc that I'm interested in are all up your neck of the woods which is rather frustrating really.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Let's hope that car sells! $2k should land you a sweet second hand ride, $3k even better. You may even score a good new bike for that price. I've certainly haggled down some good bikes to $3k over the years.

Stick to the major brands for best value. Giant...ugggghhhh, but unbeatable value most of the time.

Brow

Big Block
Let's hope that car sells! $2k should land you a sweet second hand ride, $3k even better. You may even score a good new bike for that price. I've certainly haggled down some good bikes to $3k over the years.

Stick to the major brands for best value. Giant...ugggghhhh, but unbeatable value most of the time.
That's a motorbike he is selling, Suzuki road bike. Only mention this as his reply might take time to be approved and get lost in the thread.

I agree too that Giant are good value. I own a Giant Road bike (sorry for swearing around here) and a XTC hardtail. Both have been purchased after a lot of research and both had best value for money in my budget.

I think if you are spending upwards of $4500 then the field opens up or you get the parts you want and put something together, or buy the bike with the frame you want and upgrade the rest.

As a relatively new MTB rider and not much experience with changing stuff around on them, I found anything new worked well and felt good. The only other things are how the geometry felt when riding them.

Look out for ride days sometimes put on by bike shops or distributors.

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for the advise, I'm planning on buying second hand now as I now I'll be able to pick up a better spec bike than if buying new. I have had a quick look in the for sale section but as I'm unable to post in it it makes it difficult to contact sellers. Most bikes I've seen on eBay etc that I'm interested in are all up your neck of the woods which is rather frustrating really.
You can still send sellers private messages

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
I agree with poodle and Brow; check this out too Anthony: https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/2...es/avanti/vic/preston/torrent-s-7-2/102728548

I don't know anything about Avanti, but this bike is discounted by nearly 40%. It might be worth looking at to see if it's your size, and may also be close to your budget and your location? Ok, so it's a demo but that's still better than second hand as you'll get full warranty. I've seen similar discounts on lots of other brands too from time to time - it pays to look around.

Last edited: