HRM's which one?

DaGonz

Eats Squid
Ok,

So I'm contemplating a new HRM. I currently have a Polar AXN 500 which has served me well over the last 4 or 5 years, been reliable and comes with great software but starting to consider if it's time for an upgrade or replacment. Primary reasons are less bulky wrist thingy and integration with wheel sensors etc...

my requirements are basically:

* have at least 14hrs no fuss battery life
* have ability to download data to my laptop easily (preferably USB or iRDA)
* be convenient to use between bikes
* be reliable
* be intuitive/simple to use and have clear displays
* Integrate wheel/cadence/altitude etc...

The obvious choice is the Garmins, but I'm worried about the battery life and reliability, both seemingly issues for those with edges. Another polar I guess could also be on the cards but in that case I might as well stick with what I have.

Are there any others out there that are worth considering that I'm missing? or is the market really boiled down to essentially Polar or Garmin? How have people found the newer Edges and Polars? or other devices?

Of course, I could just go and buy a bunch of cheap computers for my bikes :)

Cheers
Gonz

akashra

Eats Squid
I'm not sure about models newer than the S725X, but the 725X you would have to drop down to 5 second sampling to record 14 hours if you have HR, speed and cad, or remove one of the sensors. Not sure about the CS models. HR strap reliability is definitely much better on the Garmin than Polar though.

Garmin have a new Edge 500 coming out 'very soon', you could investigate that for battery life. I've yet to run my 705 out of battery with the backlight at 50% in the 6hr enduros I've done - if you ran it with the backlight off, there's a USB battery pack you can get which Some Guy uses, that'll certainly extend the life beyond 14 hours. The 500 also has a barometer which the 705 doesn't have, for altitude.

DaGonz

Eats Squid
I'm not sure about models newer than the S725X, but the 725X you would have to drop down to 5 second sampling to record 14 hours.

Garmin have a new Edge 500 coming out 'very soon', you could investigate that for battery life. if you ran it with the backlight off, there's a USB battery pack you can get which Some Guy uses, that'll certainly extend the life beyond 14 hours. The 500 also has a barometer which the 705 doesn't have, for altitude.
That's good to know about the 500. The battery dongle is what I'm keen to avoid. Maybe for long rides it'd be ok but races and stuff I think it's one more bit of kit to have dangling off your bike I'd rather not have.

Cheers
Gonz

akashra

Eats Squid
It just sits behind the 705 - has the same footprint so just makes it deeper. But yeah, for races it means more weight.

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
The edge 500 looks quite good - more of a training tool than the 705... its on the Garmin site now. Looks like it'll record GPS data but not display it on the unit... but is ANT+. 18hrs of battery is pretty good. This might be the ideal pair for my powertap hubs... not quite enough battery for a 24hr though...

Be interesting to see how useful it is at post ride anaysis... I don't really need to maps etc while I'm riding but the ability to overlay once I download the data would be useful... also why does a GPD need the barometer? I thought they could work out altitude as well?

Schtinka

Banned
Polar CS300

It would be worth considering the Polar CS300, its a great all round cycle computer and crosstraining device (has just the right amount of gadgetry on it, without going over the top). You can attach a speed sensor and cadence device and it has the ability to cover 2 bikes.

* have at least 14hrs no fuss battery life - TICK
* have ability to download data to my laptop easily (preferably USB or iRDA) -TICK
* be convenient to use between bikes -TICK
* be reliable -TICK
* be intuitive/simple to use and have clear displays -TICK
* Integrate wheel/cadence/altitude etc... - TICK

I recently bought mine from CRC for $250 (think its cheaper now) and am more than happy with it.

Check out this link with more details (free shipping on orders over $500), so definately consider bundling it in with more items if u can think of any...
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=37651

JD26

Likes Dirt
I have used the Polar 725x over the last 2 years. My girlfriend also has one of these which she has had for 4 years.

I just got a Polar cx800 about 8 weeks ago.

It is a big outlay of cash obviously, but they defintely serve their purpose appropriately.

The 725x has a larger screen with larger output than the cx800.
The Cx800 is more 'watch like'.
The Cx800 has better wireless (speedo, cadence) technology than the 725x
The cx800 has better software and good software functionality (than what came with the 725x -- bought a couple of years ago - later stuff might have the later version of software)
725x is cheaper - you could probably get 2 of the 725x (ebay) for the price of one cx800 (LBS)
725x is being discontinued

I have never had any issues with any of the HR straps. My 725x went through a bunch of batteries and then just died. My girlfriend has replaced the battery once in 4 years. They are electrical items - it's a lottery!

I would love to have the Garmin for the GPS functionality as I think this could assist in a few areas.

DaGonz

Eats Squid
18hrs of battery is pretty good. This might be the ideal pair for my powertap hubs... not quite enough battery for a 24hr though...
"Up To 18hrs" is very nominal statement. is that turned on while you're sitting in a car park without GPS or back light? for 24's I could just stick with my Polar, or get a 2nd head unit.

Be interesting to see how useful it is at post ride anaysis... I don't really need to maps etc while I'm riding but the ability to overlay once I download the data would be useful... also why does a GPD need the barometer? I thought they could work out altitude as well?
Yeah I'm the same really. really just looking for numbers for post ride analysis and stuff. don't know if power taps are ANT+ but could be a neat little device!

it's all in the triginometry! GPS's don't do veritical stuff very well...

Cheers
Gonz

spikenet

Likes Dirt
I've got a 705 and have found it capable of doing everything I could possibly need for training and datalogging, it would fit all your requirements except 1. The only limitation I can see for you is the battery life, cant really see a way around that unless you use an external power source.

you can get ANT+ powertaps but they are pricey! however, you can use software to calculate power based on your existing GPS data that is useful to a limited degree.

McDiesel

Likes Bikes
I bought a Polar CS300 and liked it.

Then I bought an Edge 705. I've never used the Polar since. So far, coming up to 12mths the Edge been bomb proof, although I did bust the little tab off a mount. My fault though.

And 705s do have a barometer don't they, just no temp sensor?

Toward the back end of a 24hr race you're not really using the HRM anyway, are you? Surely by then it's a matter of trying to keep your HR up, not down.

DaGonz

Eats Squid
Toward the back end of a 24hr race you're not really using the HRM anyway, are you? Surely by then it's a matter of trying to keep your HR up, not down.
True, but it's a good sign of problems and good for post race analysis. If the device only lasts 8-10 hrs from new though then it's pretty useless for a 10-12hr ride let alone a 24hr 14hrs is 12+a bit+some battery decay... 2x for a 24 if you can justify a 2nd head.

I figure I'm only going to do 1 or 2 24's a year, but multiple rides that will go longer than 8hrs. so it makes sense to me not to rule out a device just 'cause it won't go the distance in a 24, but should last a decent long day or multi day...

Cheers
Gonz

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
It seems to be the main issue with power recording devives... Garmin units can store the data but don't have the battery. The powertap head unit has the battery but not the storage... sigh...

fezi

Likes Dirt
Judging by your requirements it would be a no brainer to grab a polar product. If GPS was an essential requirement then maybe a garmin would come into the equation.
I've had my 725x for well over 3 years and haven't got a single complaint with it. Garmin battery life is considerably less than stated. My 305 often dies after less than 6 hours. Where as my polar has recorded over 12 hours of data no worries. Garmin if GPS is needed. Polar if battery life is required. Or SRM if crazy dollars need to be spent...

bear the bear

Is a real bear
CS600 for hr functions
Garmin 705 if you want pretty pictures ;)
I think the Garmin's battery is only rated for about ~12hrs so you won't get through a 24hr with one.
Price off the top of my head the garmin can be had for about $au530 and the polar for about $au400.
Comes down to whether you want a bit more data to play with

ETSX

Likes Dirt
Personally I'd go the Garmin, and I'm sure it won't be long till your training with power ;), so the just get the power tap and it would be all good :rolleyes:. Go on Spoony you know you want too.
BTW, McAvoy has the 705 so send him an email and I think he has sold his polar 725. I'm sure he will send you in the right direction.

jmcavoy

Likes Dirt
Personally I'd go the Garmin, and I'm sure it won't be long till your training with power ;), so the just get the power tap and it would be all good :rolleyes:. Go on Spoony you know you want too.
BTW, McAvoy has the 705 so send him an email and I think he has sold his polar 725. I'm sure he will send you in the right direction.
I have a Polar 720 and a 725x, used these for about 5 years and they have been great. The HR strap for my 720 went flat, so the 720 is just lieing around, although the watch needs a new battery. It's all yours if you want it matey.

The 725x I used in Canmore, because my Garmin has 12hr battery life (or something else less than the 24hrs we need). I could have popped on an external power supply, but swapping it between bikes in a solo (let alone with an extra battery pack) is not a real option now is it? :)

If you want light weight and HR only, how could you go past the Polar? Tried and proven, the new CS units look the biz, but are bike mounted (in a 24 solo, wrist mounted has to rule IMO).

If you want power or GPS, well, the Garmin 705 is the go, or if you just want power and think GPS is a battery wasting feature you don't want, and you can wait, go for the new Powertap Joule which looks the bizo, or go the Garmin 500.

My 2c and happy shopping, let us know what toy you end up with!

PS: My 725x is pretty much brand new and has HR, speed and cadence sensors in the box, only used it twice, it could be prized from my hands if you were after one cheap :) And again, if you are OK to put a new battery in my 720 (which has all the features of the 725x, just without the bling fake carbon), it's all your for nicks.

PPS: One thing I *love* about the Garmin 705 is that it has two sensors, the powertap hub and HR strap, both wireless, yet on the display I can have all sorts of goodness (and record it every second for nerd heaven later); 16 bits of data at the touch of a button; eg: gps position, speed, cadence, avg/max/current HR, power, torque, climb, lap time etc etc, and the auto lap feature is just cool. This post on my blog might make you want one... That said, it's a nerds tool to be sure, and a Polar 725x would meet all your requirements, and give you months of battery life, not hours, for much less cash :)

Last edited: