Hub help

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
G'day all,

Towards the end of my ride today I noticed a grinding noise coming from the back wheel.

On closer inspection I realised that the noise only happened when I was free-wheeling and stopped when I was pedalling.

So from that I figured this is a free hub issue?

It's a Shimano M525 10 speed hub. Do I just replace it with the same thing or are they repairable? Budget is tight so definitely the lower $$$ spent the better.

Cheers everyone.

Last edited:

kwikee

Likes Dirt
Pull off the cassette and you'll likely find the freehub body is cracked through the body from the core to the edge and probably the threads. Easy to replace, got mine for $40-odd. Apparently an issue with the 142x12 hub design.
Search SLX freehub failure for my experience.

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
Pull off the cassette and you'll likely find the freehub body is cracked through the body from the core to the edge and probably the threads. Easy to replace, got mine for $40-odd. Apparently an issue with the 142x12 hub design.
Search SLX freehub failure for my experience.
Cheers, not that mechanically minded but will have a look next weekend. Any special tools required?

And is this what I need? http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/shimano-deore-disc-hub-rear-m525a/rp-prod3310 is it as easy as removing the free hub from the new rear hub and replace the one on my bike?

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
Thanks guys,

The only reason I linked the entire hub from CRC was because it was only $5 more than just the free hub so thought it was better bang for buck.

Will get some tools while I'm at it, googled it and figured I needed a chain whip tool and cassette tool but didn't notice the cone wrench.

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks guys,

The only reason I linked the entire hub from CRC was because it was only $5 more than just the free hub so thought it was better bang for buck.

Will get some tools while I'm at it, googled it and figured I needed a chain whip tool and cassette tool but didn't notice the cone wrench.
Pretty sure the cone wrenches are 17's, but if you can get 2 15/17 ones (I have 2 park ones in this size - but they don't seem to make them any more) then you should be sweet.
Changing the hole hub is more complicated - not a bad option to rebuild your entire hub into the existing body (new bearings etc). Just make sure you pull the hub down somewhere you can find the bearings when (not if) you drop them.

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
Pretty sure the cone wrenches are 17's, but if you can get 2 15/17 ones (I have 2 park ones in this size - but they don't seem to make them any more) then you should be sweet.
Changing the hole hub is more complicated - not a bad option to rebuild your entire hub into the existing body (new bearings etc). Just make sure you pull the hub down somewhere you can find the bearings when (not if) you drop them.
I wasn't planning on re-building the whole rear hub as that's way beyond my ability.

I was more thinking of buying the complete rear set up as it basically the same price as the free hub body alone and also includes the bearings and a skewer (i.e this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/shimano-deore-disc-hub-rear-m525a/rp-prod3310?utm_source=awinus&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=generic&_$ja=tsid:54495|cgn:awin|kw:85386&awc=5623_1410752536_445cb1260dedbc663bf5cb568ab96b28). Then I would remove the free hub from it and install it on my existing rear hub - that way I am left with a spare hub and skewer.

Is that doable? I assume it is but would like confirmation before I go spending money.

Thanks again all.

Last edited:

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You can do it that way. No issue at all.

When you pull the freehub off to replace it, the bearings will come apart anyway. You can check the races, cones and balls for wear then. It's a little technical to get the bearings running smooth without being too tight so if you know someone who has worked on Shimano hubs that can help, it might be a good idea.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
You need 1 x 15mm cone spanner & 1 x 17mm (ordinary open or ring is fine, doesn't need to be cone) spanner, and a 10mm allen key.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
You need 1 x 15mm cone spanner & 1 x 17mm (ordinary open or ring is fine, doesn't need to be cone) spanner, and a 10mm allen key.
Spot on. Tip: freehub may be on very tight, so its often easier to clamp allen key in vice and rotate wheel for more leverage. Leave the tyre on and pumped up.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I've found Shimano freewheel bodies to generally be pretty easy to undo. Unlike some, the nut that holds it to the hub isn't an integrated part of the freewheel body, so it doesn't tighten under drive loading.

Alex Dlugosch

Likes Dirt
Spot on. Tip: freehub may be on very tight, so its often easier to clamp allen key in vice and rotate wheel for more leverage. Leave the tyre on and pumped up.
"Driving the bus"

Replacing the free hub body on shimano hubs is just about the most you can do on a shimano hub because you have to remove literally everything from the hub shell (except for the spokes/rim of course). Disassembly isn't particularly hard if you have the proper tools.

To remove the axle you have to unscrew the locknut, spacers if present, and the bearing cone to pull the axle out. When you do, it's likely that some of the now loose balls will fall from their races through or out of the hub. Sometimes they stick on the inside of the hub with grease, so it's helpful to have a magnet on a stick available. Make sure not to lose the balls.

Look online for tips about adjusting cup and cone bearing hubs. You have to be quite careful and precise when you do it or you could brinell your bearings (indent them) and have a notchy hub.

My tip is to get the locknuts moderately tight on the cones with the bearing ever so slightly loose, then finely adjust by only tightening the locknuts against each other. This tends to also rotate the cones slightly and properly preload the bearing, and the nuts are already tight and can be easily fully tightened without rotating the cones anymore.

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
Cheers everyone for the replies.

If I stuff things up my LBS is always happy to fix my half arsed attempts and take my money.

My only other question is does anyone know if there is a difference between the M525 model and the M525A model? I have sent CRC a message but haven't heard back yet.

I have a feeling it's a newer model and might not have an interchangeable free-hub, in which case I will just get the free hub body by itself.

kwikee

Likes Dirt
If it's a 142x12, you'll need a 15mm Allen key with a long handle or the socket type to fit on a large ratchet. Mine was ridiculously tight, bit of heat helped. If you have some, reassemble with a bit of anti seize, might help if (or when, from what I hear!) you need to do it again later.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Didn't know there was an "A" variant.... wouldn't expect a great deal of difference, and I suspect the freewheel body is the M475-type that's found on a stack of hubs.

It won't be 142 x 12, 'cos M525 predates that.... It's just a Deore 6-bolt 135 x 10 Q/R that they haven't killed off 'cos they still keep a couple of 6-bolters in the lineup (M756 old XT is the other).

To remove the axle you have to unscrew the locknut, spacers if present, and the bearing cone to pull the axle out.
It should be noted that you remove the locknut & cone from the non-drive side of the hub. The cone on the drive side is recessed below the rim of the freewheel body thread, so you won't get your spanner onto it. Even if you don't need to for access, you should remove the brake rotor in order to avoid getting grease on it. Add a T25 Torx key to the previous tool list.

My tip is to get the locknuts moderately tight on the cones with the bearing ever so slightly loose, then finely adjust by only tightening the locknuts against each other. This tends to also rotate the cones slightly and properly preload the bearing, and the nuts are already tight and can be easily fully tightened without rotating the cones anymore.
I have a slightly different method. First, before reinserting the axle, ensure the locknut & cone on the drive end are nice & tight together. Screw on the off-side cone, and slightly overtighten it on the bearings; you should still be able to spin the axle, but with some drag. Fit any spacers (there's usually at least one) and the locknut, and while holding the other end of the axle, tighten it finger tight against the cone. Now with your 15 & 17mm spanners, tighten the cone & locknut against each other. By some quirk of differential friction, the cone will loosen from the bearings as it snugs up on the locknut. With just the right amount of initial preload, you'll end up with a perfectly tensioned hub.

Last edited:

Alex Dlugosch

Likes Dirt
I have a slightly different method. First, before reinserting the axle, ensure the locknut & cone on the drive end are nice & tight together. Screw on the off-side cone, and slightly overtighten it on the bearings; you should still be able to spin the axle, but with some drag. Fit any spacers (there's usually at least one) and the locknut, and while holding the other end of the axle, tighten it finger tight against the cone. Now with your 15 & 17mm spanners, tighten the cone & locknut against each other. By some quirk of differential friction, the cone will loosen from the bearings as it snugs up on the locknut. With just the right amount of initial preload, you'll end up with a perfectly tensioned hub.
Yeah, that first part I forgot to write but also always do. I actually tend to do what you described a lot of the time as well, but sometimes either the locknut or cone doesn't play nice and ends up rotating the wrong way and getting tighter or too loose. So that's when I go to my locknut only method.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Yeah, that first part I forgot to write but also always do. I actually tend to do what you described a lot of the time as well, but sometimes either the locknut or cone doesn't play nice and ends up rotating the wrong way and getting tighter or too loose. So that's when I go to my locknut only method.
Yeah, some really shit no-name hubs need a stack of preload (to the point of barely being able to turn the axle by hand) to do up properly, otherwise the cone just backs right off when you do the locknut.

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
I finally got around to changing the free hub. Things seemed to go pretty smoothly (almost too smooth).

In regards to getting the cone right, I spent about 5 minutes just playing with adjustments between the cone and lock nut and basically had the cone so it was firm(ish) so there was no side play, backed it off ever so slightly and then tightened the lock nut against it - tested and re-adjusted as I felt necessary.

So can I now assume that I have done everything okay and not over tightened anything? The wheel spins freely since being back on the bike and I can't see/hear any resistance as it spins and there is no side to side play? Slightly paranoid as I don't want to stuff the cones and bearings...

Last edited: