Hubs??

hakka

Likes Dirt
I'm about to pull the trigger on a set of Zelvy Carbon wheels for the Trance, just need to decide between the Hope pro and the Chris King hubs. What do I get for the extra $500 besides the cool sound? How much difference is there in the engagement?

Thanks.

moorey

call me Mia
Have you considered Hadley?
I wager he has.

Btw, you won't notice less engagement in the hopes, btw. My older ones are all only 24 poe, and still awesome. Personally, I'd be saving your brass and buying hope. They last for ever, easy to work on, cheap, adaptable to any front configuration, and any rear between QR/10/12, 135/142. (150 is different hub)

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I have enjoyed plenty of hope hubs. They are good. Notice nobody ever says "get the shimano hub..."?

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
I wager he has.

Btw, you won't notice less engagement in the hopes, btw. My older ones are all only 24 poe, and still awesome. Personally, I'd be saving your brass and buying hope. They last for ever, easy to work on, cheap, adaptable to any front configuration, and any rear between QR/10/12, 135/142. (150 is different hub)
All of this, plus parts are real easy to get (even CRC stocks nearly all parts), no special knowledge required, And it should be easy to find a mechanic with lots of hope experience. Chris King in Australia, not so much - great product but a little left field here

moorey

call me Mia
I have enjoyed plenty of hope hubs. They are good. Notice nobody ever says "get the shimano hub..."?
Weight weenie wankers sometimes do....because XTR label. Aside from that, they are the realm of the stock components and noobs. There, I said it.

Yeti Dan

Likes Dirt
You get the CK buzz to scare all the wildlife.

I'm going from Kings to Hopes for my next build. Couldn't justify the extra $. It's one of the heavier hubs out there too.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Get Shimano.

I'm just waiting on a few bits to build up my carbon rims with XTR hubs. Cup-&-cone bearings give better lateral support than industrial cartridges, which contributes to wheel stability when cornering (but obviously it's secondary to the overall build quality).

If you look after them they'll last just as long, if not longer than anything else.

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt
I've never had XTR hubs but Shimano hubs seem to be seriously horrible heaps of shit. I hadn't used them for a while so I built my ol' man a set of wheel for his flat bar roadie and they rumbled so badly they needed to be re-greased, even then they still weren't silent like a cheap nasty cartridge bearing hub would be.

I'd much prefer to do a set of cartridge bearings ever 2 years(or five in my Hadley) rather than dick around with Shimano hubs, have the XTR freehubs stopped cracking? Stick to fishing gear Shimano, your bike stuff has gone to shit :evil:

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Durace, ultegra & xtr hubs can be fantastic if you look after them, service them regularly and keep the bearings adjusted. Most people are too lazy, time poor or mechanically inept to keep them running well.

That's why I run sealed bearing hubs now ....

Dirt Devil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If the choice is between Hope or King, I'd stick with the Hope.

Anyone tried the Onyx sprag clutch hubs that Zelvy are selling in some of their wheels?

I must be getting old but the idea of a silent rear hub is very appealing, even with the extra weight.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
If the choice is between Hope or King, I'd stick with the Hope.

Anyone tried the Onyx sprag clutch hubs that Zelvy are selling in some of their wheels?

I must be getting old but the idea of a silent rear hub is very appealing, even with the extra weight.
Pack grease in your noisey hub...problem solved.

hakka

Likes Dirt
The Zelvy options are Funn, Hope, Onyx and King. The Onyx are a fait bit heavier than the others, i'm not paying $2k to make my bike heavier than it is now.

I think I'll go with the Hopes.

Thanks.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
All of this, plus parts are real easy to get (even CRC stocks nearly all parts), no special knowledge required, And it should be easy to find a mechanic with lots of hope experience. Chris King in Australia, not so much - great product but a little left field here
And you can get away with carrying 1 spare spoke size for front, rear, drive or non-drive side. And they're less than half the price of the hipster brands.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
When i got my Zlevys, the price between hopes and king was 250, went with king.

But for 500 difference, hope all the way. I've got a few sets of both hubs, hope has been more reliable, my kings had a freewheel failure (because of my mad quad bombs), but during slow technical riding up shit I notice the slightly faster engagement, its nice, but thats the only time I notice it.

Nice wheels, you'll be happy with them.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I've never had XTR hubs but Shimano hubs seem to be seriously horrible heaps of shit. I hadn't used them for a while so I built my ol' man a set of wheel for his flat bar roadie and they rumbled so badly they needed to be re-greased, even then they still weren't silent like a cheap nasty cartridge bearing hub would be.

I'd much prefer to do a set of cartridge bearings ever 2 years(or five in my Hadley) rather than dick around with Shimano hubs, have the XTR freehubs stopped cracking? Stick to fishing gear Shimano, your bike stuff has gone to shit :evil:
I have two sets of XT wheels (one on each bike) and a pair of SLX hubs in another wheelset. All have been faultless.

moorey

call me Mia
Get Shimano.

I'm just waiting on a few bits to build up my carbon rims with XTR hubs. Cup-&-cone bearings give better lateral support than industrial cartridges, which contributes to wheel stability when cornering (but obviously it's secondary to the overall build quality).

If you look after them they'll last just as long, if not longer than anything else.
Hehe. Was going to name you in my post....