hucking

Staunch

Eats Squid
Hucking isn't that bad just people don't like hucking to flat simply because it wrecks their bikes and their bodies... I still do it though, probably shouldn't, makes my knees and ankles hurt if I stuff up. Hucking normally to a downramp is fine, people say it doesn't take as much skill as jumping but there's nothing that bad about it.

zstreetco

Likes Bikes and Dirt
To put it simply....hucking requires no skill, no grace, no experience, no balls, nothing really...its just silly.... compared to styling gaps, or jumps, or drops...hucking is just a noob's way of claiming they are a 'hardcore mountain biker'....

but yes hucking to flat is stupid...stop it...haha :p unless its off a gutter cause thats just uber cool

mad_mike51

Likes Bikes and Dirt
To put it simply....hucking requires no skill, no grace, no experience, no balls, nothing really...its just silly.... compared to styling gaps, or jumps, or drops...hucking is just a noob's way of claiming they are a 'hardcore mountain biker'....

but yes hucking to flat is stupid...stop it...haha :p unless its off a gutter cause thats just uber cool
Almost completely right hucking dose not require any skill or any grace but it certainly does require balls I don't mind a bit of a huck here and there and it's fun but I don't think it helps my riding in many ways but what it does help is your confidence because it takes a lot of balls to go "i'm gonna drop down that 15ft with next to no speed and pray that it turns out alright!" and that my friend is the definition of balls.
End of rant.

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
To put it blunty hucking is hitting something stupidly insane or sketchy, you can pretty much use it to describe doing anything BIG.

zstreetco

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Almost completely right hucking dose not require any skill or any grace but it certainly does require balls I don't mind a bit of a huck here and there and it's fun but I don't think it helps my riding in many ways but what it does help is your confidence because it takes a lot of balls to go "i'm gonna drop down that 15ft with next to no speed and pray that it turns out alright!" and that my friend is the definition of balls.
End of rant.
Sorry but i completely disagree

Balls are required to hit up a 30foot step down that has been known to send riders to hospital in critical conditions, or pull a suicide no hander over a 25 foot gap, or just over a deadly mine gap, or hit a gap with a close to vertical downramp at close to 60km/h, or .....you get my point no?

Hucking off a 5-10 foot wall to flat and breaking bike parts and possibly body parts....required no balls (as you'll probably lose them doing the huck) it just requires the intelligence of....something...that doesnt have any intelligence (i had a long day of riding and cant be bothered thinking haha)

however a 15+ foot huck to flat....well that'd be kinda ballsy i guess, sitting at the top knowing 'im about to kill my bike and myself'....smart kiddies

DOWNRAMPS RULE! end of story

mad_mike51

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yer

Sorry but i completely disagree

Balls are required to hit up a 30foot step down that has been known to send riders to hospital in critical conditions, or pull a suicide no hander over a 25 foot gap, or just over a deadly mine gap, or hit a gap with a close to vertical downramp at close to 60km/h, or .....you get my point no?

Hucking off a 5-10 foot wall to flat and breaking bike parts and possibly body parts....required no balls (as you'll probably lose them doing the huck) it just requires the intelligence of....something...that doesnt have any intelligence (i had a long day of riding and cant be bothered thinking haha)

however a 15+ foot huck to flat....well that'd be kinda ballsy i guess, sitting at the top knowing 'im about to kill my bike and myself'....smart kiddies

DOWNRAMPS RULE! end of story
I agree that is crazy but just 'cause your huking doesn't necessarily mean it's to flat, it means to throw yourself off a drop while traveling slow, as huck is a Canadian slang term for throwing things, and hucks often include downramps, and even though what your talking about may require a shit load of balls it doesn't mean that that's the only things in the world that does require balls respect different forms of riding for what they are and do not dismiss thing before you know what they even are.:mad:

droctagon

Likes Dirt
Hucking is one of those "buzz"words people seem to throw around all the time these days thats a little ambiguous.Kind of like the term "freeriding" it means different things to different folks.
I disagree with the comment that it requires no skill-Surely you need some skill as well as the guts to fully commit to some of the technically insane things that you see guys doing in vids and mags and stuff,that are considered to be "Hucking".
I dont think its worth it if its straight to flat ground and your breaking your bike just to prove yourself?
But in the right terrain,at the right time it can be a good rush.

mad_mike51

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yes

Hucking is one of those "buzz"words people seem to throw around all the time these days thats a little ambiguous.Kind of like the term "freeriding" it means different things to different folks.
I disagree with the comment that it requires no skill-Surely you need some skill as well as the guts to fully commit to some of the technically insane things that you see guys doing in vids and mags and stuff,that are considered to be "Hucking".
I dont think its worth it if its straight to flat ground and your breaking your bike just to prove yourself?
Finally someone who understands me :p

{ScarFace}

Likes Dirt
Huck is purely an onomatopoeian word for the sound a freeride bike makes when a "Hucker" bunny-hops off the lip of a drop.

Huckers are often attributed with less skill then racers.

Simple, both require "balls". Josh Bender is the best known hucker.

Are we done?

most of that is true but not the no balls bit,, i recon you need alot of balls to do some of those huge huck's

patto_15

Wheel size expert
most of that is true but not the no balls bit,, i recon you need alot of balls to do some of those huge huck's
You dont need balls to hit big gaps.. I've done my fair share of hucking, and when you get to big stuff, it pays to relax, clear you head and just do it as if it were 5ft.. People think big hucks take balls, they dont, just require you riding off the end..

Big gaps, over rocks into rocks or tree roots through tight trees or into a sudden berm to another gap into rocks.. Thats balls and commitment right there..

You have to remember hucking takes no skill, some good riders look and certain hits and sometimes think, no way.. But you know, put that same stunt in between some bunting, and time it (race it), every kid and his dog would be hitting it! I've seen it happen before ;)

Ride.Dirt.Wake.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I agree that is crazy but just 'cause your huking doesn't necessarily mean it's to flat, it means to throw yourself off a drop while traveling slow, as huck is a Canadian slang term for throwing things, and hucks often include downramps, and even though what your talking about may require a shit load of balls it doesn't mean that that's the only things in the world that does require balls respect different forms of riding for what they are and do not dismiss thing before you know what they even are.:mad:
So, for clarification, is the motion of throwing your bike forward, and getting behind the seat called hucking?

I agree, obviously you need control of the bike, and sketchy landings take some skill to ride out. Hucking to flat is bad on you and the bike, and not even fun unless its like a 5-8ft drop and you trials-style drop it. IMO.

Everything in FR and DH Mountain Biking (generally) takes fear control and commitment, even the smallest of drops, so you can't say hucking is for the braindead.

My 2c

mad_mike51

Likes Bikes and Dirt
^^^Josh Bender^^^

I personally love Josh Bender, he is such a crazy rider and also at times quite a skillful and stylish rider and even if you don't like hucking, that's how he made his living riding bikes off cliffs!:eek: I don't see many people making a living from something as crazy as that, at least respect him for that if nothing else.:D

Last edited: