Hurstbridge to Yea

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was meant to be riding the Victorian Rail Trail this Sunday, but the good people at V-line have replaced trains with buses and altered the schedule, which means I have no way to get to Tallarook.
There is the option for me to train to Hurstbridge and ride up to meet the Trail near Yea through Arthurs Creek, Kinglake and Murrundindi. Does anyone know what the route up is like regarding traffic etc. and just how annoying it would be on a hardtail?

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Really beautiful riding up there through Cottles Bridge and onto Bowden Spur Road up to Kinglake, and I've done a bit around the top of Toolangi edging Murrindindi which is nice too. It's a decent ride though and the climb up to KL is not insignificant, so might be worth making it a weekend and doing the ride up on Saturday before your Sunday ride. Once you hit the farmland in the second half it's going to get hot!

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My first thought was, awesome.
Second thought was how do you plan on getting from Kinglake through Murrundindi to Yea. In years gone by, I would have been happy to brave the road but it's so busy and full of holes now, I would not suggest it as an option.

I'm certain every inch of fire road has been covered out there by gravel riders, although as @leitch said, Hurstbridge to Yea would be more than enough for even a very enthusiastic and fit rider. A Quick Strava route gave me 80km and 1200m vert through Kinglake or 60km and 1000m skipping Kinglake and going through Yarra Glen (This would be a quite boring and exposed route)

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for the input guys. I'm meeting people outside of Mansfield on the Sunday night (which was the reason I was going to do the Rail Trail in the first place)and am busy all day Saturday, so have some annoying time pressures that constrain me.
Based on your comments about the road caad9 it might be a case of a 'bridge too far' this time and i'll just save it for another day :(

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for the input guys. I'm meeting people outside of Mansfield on the Sunday night (which was the reason I was going to do the Rail Trail in the first place)and am busy all day Saturday, so have some annoying time pressures that constrain me.
Based on your comments about the road caad9 it might be a case of a 'bridge too far' this time and i'll just save it for another day :(
I don't want to be the one to kill your enthusiasm!

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not a drama. I'd be cutting out about a third of Rail Trail which kind of of defeats the initial purpose, plus in order to get to Hurstbridge earlier enough I have to get to a suburban station as the train doesn't leave from the CBD

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
100% avoid the Melba Hwy at the moment, it's in deplorable condition. If you were keen you could go Kinglake -> Flowerdale onto the rail trail but that's a hell of a ride.