NSW Husky 100 2013

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Don't think there is a thread on this. Some mixed reports from this ride the last couple of years. Anyway - I've entered, hoping it'll be dry-ish.

D-train

Squid
What is the course like, it says that it is on the easy side of the 100km enduro's but the times of the last couple of years suggests that it takes longer than convict. Elite v elite.

Appreciate thoughts of those who have ridden it previously.

Cheers
D

pharcyde

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rode some sections over the last cpl of weeks and there is still some bog holes around but tracks to the side are forming and staying dry. Quite possible that this years map will be very different to any other year due to some heavy logging on the northern side of Forest Rd. Wait see I guess ....

I am entered for the 50k, aiming for sub 3:50hr.

Motorhead

Likes Bikes
Last two years have been a great course but far too muddy. They've changed the course to avoid some of the low lying mudpits so hopefully things will be better this year.
Fairly flat around there which means it's on the easier side but also means you're peddling the whole time.

Slowman

Likes Dirt
Yeah it's one of the faster 100s. There are some undulations through the Coondoo section if I recall correctly (actually it might have been the Superbowl) but the rest is fairly nice rolling flattish terrain. If you want a very flat 100 get out to Parkes to do the Back Yamma Bigfoot! I can't see how it could take longer than the Convict 100 - last time I rode that (DW100) it had some real hills in it.

Last edited:

D-train

Squid
Yeah it's one of the faster 100s. There are some undulations through the Coondoo section if I recall correctly (actually it might have been the Superbowl) but the rest is fairly nice rolling flattish terrain. If you want a very flat 100 get out to Parkes to do the Back Yamma Bigfoot! I can't see how it could take longer than the Convict 100 - last time I rode that (DW100) it had some real hills in it.
"i cant see how it could take longer than the convict"

I only checked 2012 thats why I was confused:

Blair 4hours 23min (husky) v 3hours 48min (convict)
English 4hours 23min (husky) v 4hours 6min (convict)
Hall 4hours 23min (husky) v 4hours 4min (convict)

Must have been the mud. Cheers

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
I did it last year. It's relatively flat but was a mudfest and most people lost full range of gears in the first 25km. There were a few creek crossings going up to crotch deep that also slowed everything down. I have heard that currently Superbowl and Butterfly is closed currently due to logging. Can anyone confirm? If that is true then the course would be about 90km of firetrail and dirt roads, and 10km of singletraill, unless more trail has been built by SCUM.

It was my first 100k enduro event. I have a preference for other events but conditions was a big factor.

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looks like you are right - from the SCUM website

Due to State Forests harvesting operations the Superbowl and Butterfly Road tracks will be closed from the 25th of January 2013 and extend for up to 6 months.

Please stay well clear of these trails and the general area until further notice.

That is disappointing

Gravjunkie

Likes Dirt
Popped off an email to organisers - got a swift reply - 'Trails were re-opened Monday'

Sweet
The forest and "Butterfly" is open again "Superbowl" however is in a state of repair and we are waiting for 'the organisers' to talk to us regarding the course and how we can facilitate what we have left of Superbowl post harvesting.

mooze

Likes Bikes
Hey guys

SCUM are working on the Super Bowl over the next few weeks and at this stage there will probably be about 1.5km of Superbowl lost to the event. Gravjunkie posted while Matt was actually in the area inspecting the course and then met with member from SCUM the next morning. We'll also have trail crew on site from over a week before the race working to get everything in good condition.

We've rerouted part of the course on the Southside of Forest Rd to give us an extra 5km of trail to the South, meaning that we've been able to offset that 1.5km loss, and we've also been able to take out a large chunk of those boggy sections to the far North of the course, removing the worst of the bog holes. Forests NSW have also assisted us with repairing a couple of the worst of the roads including new surfacing (ok was incidental to the logging but we'd like to think they were being nice to the local MTB crew).

Cheers
Mooze

call_me_bruce

Likes Dirt
I checked the Bureau of Meteorology and they've got rain on and off happening at Nowra for the whole week. Should I look at fitting mud specific tyres?

struggles

Likes Dirt
Ok rain that is enough. We don't need anymore.

Mud tyres, a snorkel and flippers may come in handy if it doesn't stop.