NSW Husky100 / Husky50 / Husky20 - 13th December 2014

kerbs

Likes Bikes
Food babies, nanna naps, Santa Clause and Rudolph, Roast Turkey and Crackling - they are all words that we associate with the silly season and, as much as we don't want to admit it yet, it is just around the corner.

Well, we've got one more item to add to that list, and it's sure to leave you energized and ready to tackle the end of year celebrations with zest - the Stevens Bikes Husky100 Mountain Bike Marathon, presented by OnTheGo.

Sheep stations won't be exchanges in this friendly, relaxed Mountain biking event. Ride with friends, ride with family, or make new friends while you tackle the awesome and picturesque trails of the NSW South Coast.

The refreshing waters of Jervis Bay are a stones throw from the finish line. Assuming you can stay in the saddle, ride straight through to the bay and dive into the cooling waters once you finish the event & lap up the tranquility of the local area. Stay a night or two, take a look around, and/or celebrate with us at the RSL club after the event has been run and won.

Moved to the 13th of December for this year only, make sure you get your entry in very soon for this years edition of "The Husky".

Are you ready to register for the Summer Husky? Visit www.Husky100.com.au

Jubas

Likes Dirt
In for the 100km this year. Have done bugger all training and racing in my usual 50km category this year, so thought i'd have a crack at completing the 100 in a reasonable time. All this rain in Sydney is making me a little doubtful about being ready in time!

Jubas

Likes Dirt
Weather starting to look very grim.. Hopefully they make the call early! What do people reckon.. Think it will go ahead?

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So dissapointed for the iadventure crew and for everyone else concerned.

If it doesn't go ahead, anyone interested in riding a few tracks on the trip down or back? Mt Annan, Camden, Hornsby, anything in The Gong.

Last edited:

Jubas

Likes Dirt
Well - this has been rescheduled to the 28th, a week on Saturday. Anybody else still riding it?

I've dropped down to the 50km from the 100, given that Capital Punishment is the following weekend.

Pretty frustrating that the event centre has been moved as well - I'd booked in to the camp ground which was an easy 2-3kms ride away. Now it's a ~20 minute drive. And, we won't know any details about the profile given the new start location.. bit of a pain really =/

Probably the last time I'll ride this event - too much history of dramas unfortunately

Anyone on here do the event, either the 50 or the 100 ?

I only undertook the 50, summary as follows:-

- got a flat,
- didnt get lost (unlike the the three 100km riders that came barrelling into the compound after an 18km loop looking for the turn off),
- rode ok for most of it,
- chatted to a couple of 100km riders til they dusted me,
- didnt stack,
- felt sorry for the guy on his second flat (prayed I wouldnt get another one as I had already used up my tube))
- commiserated with the dude with a broken deraileur
- felt sorry for the guy lying under the space blanket
- hit the wall with a couple of kms to go
- didnt finish last.
- didnt fall asleep driving home from Nowra
- watched XC youtube videos that nite and only managed one beer

i guess you could say i enjoyed it and I feel an addiction coming on.

Anyone else ?

Shrekmeister

Likes Dirt
wasnt there...however...

heard there were more major problems with the signage and organisation....

whilst know the organisers personnally appears this event is continuing to go backwards...not be a big focus of theirs...

sure it is plauged with weather issues always (i was the only person to camp the first year when it was postponed..sure it tested how waterproof my tent was when i camped in the RSL grounds)...

tend to feel this event may not happen again...

Paul Morgan owner of Batemans Bay bike shop crashed badly and is still in hospital with cracked ribs and scapula....

That would be a shame I think. There were heaps of people there and I experienced no dramas with the signage (however I finished toward the back of the pack).

Much better than the fling where I recieved no assistance whatsoever when my bike broke, even when I entered an intersection manned by half a dozen people, did a seven km loop on one pedal only to return to the same bunch of people who then gave me wrong directions back to the start point. Almost had to marry a bear !!!

Don't give it away husky dudes, aimiing for the hungy next time !!!

Jubas

Likes Dirt
This is what I posted elsewhere:

I rode the 50 and had a pretty frustrating day out - left in the first wave, to find trail marking tape straight across the fire trail.. managed to get over it - hope others did as well!

I found some of the single track quite challenging, including a section that took you down some through some ferns, then up some barely defined pinch climbs. It looked like a lot of the track had just been cut at the last minute for the event, without anyone actually riding, or even thinking about how someone might ride it.

Anyway, I paced myself on the intended checkpoints, but found myself at the 42km mark trying to figure out when the 41km checkpoint was due to come. I promptly ran out of water at the 45km mark, while everyone around me was trying to figure out how far we had to go. I was showing 45kms along with a few others, while others were at 42. The checkpoint came at the 51 km mark, which was followed by another 8km or so until the finish line.

I'd completely dehydrated by that point, so instead of having fun on the quite nice single track at the end, I cramped non-stop.

Looking at strava, some riders did ~60km, some did ~50km, and some did ~55km. So much for a lighter race to get me set up for capital punishment this weekend!
The whole event has become a bit of a hassle really. There were still massive muddy sections which were unrideable - I felt bad, particularly on some of the worn single track as we were probably doing even more damage. Some of the new singletrack felt like it had been made the weekend before.

Timings/placings etc are pretty much useless on the 50km race. So many variations of distances from different riders. I've just chalked it up to 'sh*t happens'

The word I heard was that there were people out there that were against the race going ahead and were attempting to stuff up the directions.

Unfortunately my phone carked it at the 40km mark so i don't know how far i rode, i found returning to the start finish and then having to do the SCUM trails mentally challenging.

I'm a pretty crappy rider but I didnt need to walk any of the muddy sections, one of the single track mind races was on the SCUM tracks last year, there was a hell bog in that race, much worse than anything I saw on the Husky 50 and the worn tracks didnt seem too much worse from memory.

regarding the new sections of track I agree they appeared to be brand new, i guess not a bad way to forge a new track however there were acouple of sections there was no way I could ride up them, but I did see a dude ride up one of them so i put down to just being a shit rider.

I'm pretty inexperienced in this caper so the above probably dont mean much.

Handekk

Likes Dirt
I think that this event is better than some and worse than others, but as long as I had fun and didn't crash I am happy. I will be back again for this event for sure, as for the Strava distance variation if you look at the actual maps they are exactly the same soooo I would think its the Garmin/whatevers that are being used.