Hydration packs for ladies

orphic

Likes Bikes
I'm after a compact hydration pack for shorter rides - in the 1.5 - 2.0L range. I currently have a Deuter 3L pack that has a decent amount of cargo space that I can use for longer rides.

I find that even though the strap that goes across the chest on the Deuter bag is adjustable, I can't get it high enough to be in the spot for the length that I like the shoulder straps to be. Will getting a womens specific design eliminate this problem?

If so, any recommendations? I guess at the moment I'm looking at the Camelbak Charm and Aurora. Not sure about the colour choices at this stage though...

Derek Yates

Soul Rider
Dakine

Hey,

Check out the Dakine womens packs. They are harder to find in Australia but the packs are fantastic and have a few womens options in the range. My wife has been happy with her Drafter pack that has had a few seasons of use now. I've got 2 larger bags and have been totally stoked on them

The design and colours get tweaked each year and they offer XC and more AM/FR packs with heaps of room for gear, a fleecy sunnies/goggle pocket and stuff like a helmet holder for transportation or shuttles.

The only thing that are less great are the bladders but the newer versions seem to have improved a lot. With the strengths of the bags I'm happy to upgrade the bladder down the track as needed.

Website is a bit average so get into a store that does Dakine (lots of Ski stores stock them) and check them out in real life. There are separate Bike and Girls sections but the product crosses over between the two. www.dakine.com

Cheers,

Derek

Katdog

Likes Bikes
I had exactly the same problem with the Deuter Hydro EXP 8 pack (which has a 3L bladder plus cargo space). I found that I couldn't get the chest strap to adjust high enough. Then I bought the women's specific Compact EXP 6 SL (which came with a 2L bladder plus cargo space) and found that the straps adjusted much, much better.

If I put the two packs side by side, they are a similar size but the women's specific one is shorter, which makes sense since women generally have shorter torso's than men. There may be other reason's why the straps adjust better, but looking for shorter packs could be a good starting point.

I would not describe the Compact EXP 6 SL as a small pack for compact rides, but I wouldn't want to go much smaller by the time I pack water, some repair stuff, meusli bar and a jacket. That could be a good option for you.