I’m buying a e-Mtb, but which one ?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
This thread is not to turn into an e-bike debate. There are enough threads about the virtues of e-bikes already and this one is to remain on topic, thanks.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Where's ideate when you need a completely reasoned and informed response derived from first hand experience?

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I've tried a few:

- Bionx. Best of the bunch but super expensive.
- Shimano steps 250W. Not as good as BionX but better than all that chinese crap. Feels like a lot more power which would lead me to believe that the chinese/Australian lumens conversion factors also apply to ebike watts.
- 250 bafang. Pretty slow and the kick on and off annoys me. This model works better in throttle but lacks in power.
- 500w bafang. Reasonable power and the kick on and off is even more annoying, however most people who use this run throttle mode. obviously no road legal.
- 1000W bafang. Same as above, just more power.
- 250 Tong Sheng torque sensing pas. Smooth power deliver but simply not powerful enough. Literally feels like half the power of the shimano steps.
- 350w Tong Shen torque sensing pas. This is what I actually own and it's got about the same power as the shimano steps but with a torque sensing which is great. However power levels off very quickly as the motor rpm is not optimum at high cadence. This is where th eBionX and steps are much better.
- 500 rear hub motor (Chinese special). Built one of these with a mate. Never again. Mid drive is superior imo. However the retrofit mid drive shave the problem of a lower BB area as the motor sits under the BB. I haven't had problems with rock strikes though as I don't ride single track with my ebike, just do long fire road rides.
- Trek 250w ebike. Hired one of these babies and they are pretty good units. Hard to compare to the shimano steps/bionX as they were not MTBs. However I'd guess that the units are on par. These are availible for hire from cycls galleria for $100 if you are in melbourne and deductible from purchase price should you go that way. I'd recommend these if you are going eMTB.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
My thoughts owning an ebike:
- You still pedals (at least with mine you do).
- I can clear some steep hills (like 20%+) that otherwise I wouldn't be able to.
- Battery management is a nightmare. I am always freaking out. If you try ride an ebike flat, then you will know why this is a problem.
- Having an ebike is simply like another bike in the stable. It does fire road and fire road only. I might take it to commute on rainy days but aside from that it's got a niche in my stead like all other bikes. Doesn't replace my real mtb, doesn't replace my roadie.
- Having the ebike option means I can commit to long rides in less time in the case I need to be back early. Alternatively it means I ride longer than I usually do in the same time.
- Lastly, it means me and my mates can take decent payloads. We can carry a lot more water, food and drones and stuff without feeling the pain as much. We haven't done camping yet as we are trying to figure out overnight charging lol.

MrPlow

TMBC
I have one actually! I have a bit of a dodgy knee, so gets me out more often especially if I need to test something.
Focus Jam 2 . Love it! Shimano system, mine is integrated with Di2. works a treat, 19kg. Not as heavy as a Levo etc.

I have one actually! I have a bit of a dodgy knee, so gets me out more often especially if I need to test something.
Focus Jam 2 . Love it! Shimano system, mine is integrated with Di2. works a treat, 19kg. Not as heavy as a Levo etc.
When you say intergrated with Di2, what do you mean ? Does it auto shift or something ?

MrPlow

TMBC
When you say intergrated with Di2, what do you mean ? Does it auto shift or something ?
If you buy a bike with a shimano motor Di2 will plug into it and use the same battery and display. Nice and integrated. Not that Di2 is "necessary" But hey, I can write it off as a business expense for tax and wife, so why not!

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you buy a bike with a shimano motor Di2 will plug into it and use the same battery and display. Nice and integrated. Not that Di2 is "necessary" But hey, I can write it off as a business expense for tax and wife, so why not!
Hope it keeps a reserve, imagine riding a flat e bike with no gears. Roadie di2 went flat once (kids playing with shifters, kept trying to shift on the stand), that was bad enough.
Back ot, the focus Jam looks like a good option, decent range, weight and travel.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Thinking about one for my missus... will have a look in the new year.
Apparent upgrading her bike with carbon wheels and Di2 doesn't mean she'll ride it anymore, actually, she doesn't ride it at all... I just like to upgrade the one I call "her's".

Cognoscente

Cannon Fodder
I have a Merida e160 with the Shimano steps motor. 27.5+ tyres with 160mm travel. Loving it sooo much!
It's not fast my any means maxing out at about 27-28kph but I didn't buy it to go fast - just a bit of uphill and range assist. If I wanted more, I'd get a motorbike. Range is fine with up to 80km depending on assist mode used and style of riding.

Only downside is the weight. Supposedly 22.25kg. You don't feel it when pedal assisted but when descending and cornering at speed it reminds you from time to time that it can be a beast to turn however the geometry is good.

Overall, I love it. Just packed it up and heading to Bright to ride over the Xmas break.

redbruce

Eats Squid
I've tried a few:

- Bionx. Best of the bunch but super expensive.
- Shimano steps 250W. Not as good as BionX but better than all that chinese crap. Feels like a lot more power which would lead me to believe that the chinese/Australian lumens conversion factors also apply to ebike watts.
- 250 bafang. Pretty slow and the kick on and off annoys me. This model works better in throttle but lacks in power.
- 500w bafang. Reasonable power and the kick on and off is even more annoying, however most people who use this run throttle mode. obviously no road legal.
- 1000W bafang. Same as above, just more power.
- 250 Tong Sheng torque sensing pas. Smooth power deliver but simply not powerful enough. Literally feels like half the power of the shimano steps.
- 350w Tong Shen torque sensing pas. This is what I actually own and it's got about the same power as the shimano steps but with a torque sensing which is great. However power levels off very quickly as the motor rpm is not optimum at high cadence. This is where th eBionX and steps are much better.
This has been helpful in my ponderings on building an ebike for a hilly 60km return commute out of an old Giant 26" hardtail as my next project.

Interested to tap into/hear your thoughts.

Is your 350 TS 36V or 48V?

Where there are options, any comment on desirable voltage, and why?

Any comment on batteries: quality, source and cost considerations v performance and range.

What chainwheel and wheel size are you using?

Last edited:

MarioM

Likes Dirt
If I remember correctly the guy at the Jet Black 12 hour was on a Merida . Not sure if he had a second battery as he was going the whole time .

MrPlow

TMBC
Hope it keeps a reserve, imagine riding a flat e bike with no gears. Roadie di2 went flat once (kids playing with shifters, kept trying to shift on the stand), that was bad enough.
Back ot, the focus Jam looks like a good option, decent range, weight and travel.
It must hey. Because I have had the battery go flat enough to stop assisting the motor, but it still works the gears.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
This has been helpful in my ponderings on building an ebike for a hilly 60km return commute out of an old Giant 26" hardtail as my next project.

Interested to tap into/hear your thoughts.

Is your 350 TS 36V or 48V?

Where there are options, any comment on desirable voltage, and why?

Any comment on batteries: quality, source and cost considerations v performance and range.

What chainwheel and wheel size are you using?
I went 36V because the TS is notorious for stripping threads so less power is better. I've always maintained that if you want more power (assuming you want 48V for more power) the bafang is a better bet and more suitable.

I got my batteries from Dillinger (notoriously bad website lol) as they were comparable to a DIY build after shipping. I'm no battery expert, but most batteries will lose their capacity over time, that's a given. I've had mine for about 9 months and it's still going strong having done maybe 3000kms on it. My mates DIY batteries (he has two he built) have been fine too - but he is pretty good at electronics. I'd recommend a battery voltage monitor as none of the off the shelf indicators tell you what the real charge is as it is non linear.

I'm running 29er hardtail. I don't do single track with it and it spends all it's time on fire roads. I also run this size because on lazy days I commute with it also so it can run slicks during the week.

On chainwheel. I am on the standard 44t and it drops chains faster than tina arena. I've tried to find a narrow wide and it's quite hard or expensive, so had to settle for another 44t NW instead of ideally a 46. Like I said, the TS is piss poor above 35kph. The cadence simply does not match top end speed, but is great for hard sloggy climbs.

Good luck and let me know if you need anything else.

4dabush

Likes Dirt
Friend of mine sells Merida, absolutely raves about his. He's a middle aged downhiller who has a back injury and its got him back into his favourite riding. It gets him up the climbs to bomb back down.
I've ridden a 140mm one (Merida) and a chipped Levo. I think the Levo was maybe a bit more progressive on laying down power. Think the latest Merida had more grunt and the top of the line one is an Enduro monster! What I found was that the one pedal stroke you use between corners on your normal bike translastes to about 3 on the Ebike - so watch out for trees on your first few rides. There is a chip for the Meridas, looks a bit like a candence reader. A couple of friends with near identical Levos went on an epic ride to test the whole running out of battery thing (big hills, long distance). One used higher candence, and got about 10km more out of the same bike on the same trails at the same time. So riding style will dictate battery life. Certainly can see the advantages for older/injured/worn out riders who want to ride more than XC trails - these bikes open up the ability to get back up big hills and play on the downhill-esq type trails that would otherwise be out of reach. Just dread they build a whole new breed of lazy riders or straight liners...

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Focus bikes were at the Otway Odyssey this weekend with a fleet of ebikes. I rode both the hardtail and the FS, very nice indeed. I just need to get down to a local shop and borrow one for a half day to get the missus on it.

Its great feeling belting up singletrack at 25kph but when you hit that limit of 25 on the flat, its hard to get much more out of it with fat knobbly tyres and pushing 20kg+ of bike, a bit like riding through glue after 25kph.

The battery on the bike I took for a blast around the Yaugher singletrack was 1 bar short of full when I started, after 45 mins it was flashing red on the last bar. I now believe the battery on the Focus Jam2/Bold is only 378wh and you can piggy back another 378wh battery (Extra $$$ and double weight) making 756wh, most of the others come with ~500wh standard on the frame.

Going to look at trying as many as I can, Lapierre, Merida, Spech, Scott and Trek all make good looking bikes... its a lot of cash to throw out so not rushing in, the price of an ebike would buy us boys a lot of nice conventional bling.

Koper25

Likes Dirt
Dumb question, but what happens when an e-bike runs out of battery? Does it just pedal like a heavy mtb, or is there a heap of resistance on the drive train because of the motor?