"I cant believe it just happend" thread

Nathan_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
dunno if this has been done before, but post up your stories of lenghty bike rides, and somethin goes wrong

today i planned to ride 25km to my mates place on my downhill bike, to go run a general muck. All was goin well, 9k's into it, my loody crank fell off. got that all sorted, kept on ridin, and aout 5k's from my mates place, my bloody tube goes flat.

not that bad, but when your ridin in the scrub it can piss you off

post up your stories

jimmy-dh

Likes Dirt
Not me but my mate Ben went and hit some jumps and broke his neck....what a bummer. Not a lengthy ride but he passed out and had to crawl to the nearest road so thats quite an effort.

jackthewolverine

Likes Dirt
Me and my mate were going for an epic day of riding. To get there we have to cross a creak. well it had poured that night and the creek was flooded so we had to cross a flooded paddock then when we passed that about 1 km down the track my brake came off and we lost the bolt so we were like stuff that so we decided we would go to the local pool. We walked there and found it was shut and opened the next day. That was the crap cherrie on top of the crap sundae that was our day.

baker158

Likes Dirt
every time my mates and i go riding at a track in sydney something bad has happened.
first time i got a pinch flat at the furthest point from the car had to walk 5 to 10km back to the car.
second ride my friend broke his derailleur off in about the same place then two weeks ago i tried one of the bigger jumps got all off balance in the air and decided to try a superman into a heap of big rocks. i got so badly winded i couldn't move, sprained both wrists and got covered in big ass red bruises.
needless to say i don't think we will be going back there any time soon.

davo808

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My mate was riding on th road on his DH bike when a swanky car cut him off, hit the car, flew down the road and the lady driver just sped away.
2 broken wrists a concusion, snapped world cups and a bent DT. not a fun day for him :(

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The fun of SRAM masterlinks dropping out.........Need not tell the story, a long walk summarises it well

jp4294

Likes Dirt
Everytime I let a mate ride my bike-not down a track, just like around on the flat to see how it feels-the derailleur has a little play with the spokes :(
I have since discovered that X9 derailleurs are f*cking expensive :D

chris95

Likes Dirt
well to cut a long story short i got 8 flats in 1 week, alot of walking I did. The funny thing is after that week i havent had a flat in 3 months now.(The same tubes as before)

jacko13

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah, im pretty hardcore, its how real men ride;)
what crashing?

;) the most epic i have is riding up ahuge mountain in freezing cold, snapping my derailer off, single speeding my dualie(bad bad idea boys) and standing up the rest of the way up, riding in snow. i then had to take the chain off the gear it was in so it was loose fso it could stretch when i hit something when going down.

very loing day.
fun though

ben_rides_a_bike

Likes Bikes and Dirt
what crashing?

;) the most epic i have is riding up ahuge mountain in freezing cold, snapping my derailer off, single speeding my dualie(bad bad idea boys) and standing up the rest of the way up, riding in snow. i then had to take the chain off the gear it was in so it was loose fso it could stretch when i hit something when going down.

very loing day.
fun though
Yep:p .

roboworm9000

Likes Dirt
yep

going home from school and just rode down a nice big hill first pedal off it and the whole derailure fell apart! no indication that the bolts or anything were loose, it just fell apart and what's worse is that the derailure had just been replaced by my lbs because it went up in the spokes ( never went back there again)

big ride in the bush. about 6km in i got a flat and my chain snaped so i had to walk bak up a huge hill and walk home. 2 days later i broke my wrist. a bad couple of days.

cluster

Likes Dirt
Riding to school and got a flat tire exactly halfway there.:mad: It's only 6km to school, but it just sucks walking when you've got a perfectly good bike which could get you there 10 times faster if it weren't for a stupid flat tire!
Mind you, i'm not in a massive hurry to get to school, so hey...:rolleyes:

Going down to Ballarat (1 hour drive) with a van load of mates for a race only to rock up and realise that we left my mates front wheel back at home. He was lucky and some people drove it down for him, needless to say, he didn't get much practise that day.

Also, this just happened right after we were jokingly talking about it saying how funny it would be if we left it.

Last edited:

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Don't know if this qualifies for a bad day, but I bet it was good for some post traumatic stress and became our urban legend. I grew up on the north end of Lake Macquarie NSW. The steepest street in the area is Moulden St. Back then it ended with a 90 degree right hander (now there is Armco fencing, but then just posts) followed by a 90 degree left down a tiny connector to the road above the lake.

Kid from over the road who was about 4 years older than our group lost his chain after starting the DH. Back pedal breaks only.... There are no really good bailout spots and I guess he panicked cause he went straight down this 15 degree for 200m and went into orbit. :eek: The drop to the road was maybe 8 vertical metres. He landed on the roof of a passing car and then launched again off another 10m drop from the road to the lake. He cleared the foreshore and landed in shallow water with the bike. A few stitches was the physical damage. Don't know if they checked his undies at the doctor's though. I never saw him riding after that.

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid
Riding to school and got a flat tire exactly halfway there.:mad: It's only 6km to school, but it just sucks walking when you've got a perfectly good bike which could get you there 10 times faster if it weren't for a stupid flat tire!
Mind you, i'm not in a massive hurry to get to school, so hey...:rolleyes:
i used to just go home when that happened. fix tyre, watch cheez tv for a bit then ride back. otherwise you have to walk the bike back home again in the arvo

DeBloot

Feeling old
Being a friday I thought I would knock off early for a little spin of the legs

About 10k's in, deep sand caught my tyre and somehow my balls rammed into the end of my bars :eek:

The pain was horrendous and I could only sneak a peak at the bloody mess as I felt a bit sick
There was no way I could ride, and after a short walk I couldn't even have any fabric on them

So I had to walk 10k's wheeling my bike with my nuts hanging sideways out of my pants

By the time I got to the med clinic (I had to put my pants back over them) the blood had stuck my balls to my leg :(

Luckily there was no permanent damage, but despite all bandaging efforts had to endure about 2 weeks of my balls sticking to anything they came into contact with. Eye watering to say the least!

I'd post a pic but the mods pulled it (no pun intended :p) last time

Being a friday I thought I would knock off early for a little spin of the legs

About 10k's in, deep sand caught my tyre and somehow my balls rammed into the end of my bars :eek:

The pain was horrendous and I could only sneak a peak at the bloody mess as I felt a bit sick
There was no way I could ride, and after a short walk I couldn't even have any fabric on them

So I had to walk 10k's wheeling my bike with my nuts hanging sideways out of my pants

By the time I got to the med clinic (I had to put my pants back over them) the blood had stuck my balls to my leg :(

Luckily there was no permanent damage, but despite all bandaging efforts had to endure about 2 weeks of my balls sticking to anything they came into contact with. Eye watering to say the least!

I'd post a pic but the mods pulled it (no pun intended :p) last time
And we have a winner....