I don't get singlespeeds.......

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
.....so I figured I'd better build one up and see what the fuss is all about.
Looking around the garage I realised there was 80% of a bike lying around, so I grabbed a cheap rotorburn sourced SS Hardtail frame and an SS adapter kit and here she is:

Frame: Giant XTC SS (dunno what year)
Fork: Bomber Z1s repainted by previous owner to FPV Blueprint
Wheels: Fulcrum Red Metal (f) Mavic 317 (r)
Brakes: Avid Juicy 5s
Cranks: Hussefelts off the DH bike
Pedals: V8s
Cockpit: mix of BiLT, BBB, Fireeye all from the garage floor
SS Adapter: Gusset
Tyres: Kenda freebies from a lucky draw

I haven't ridden a hardtail for about 10 years, and have never owned a Singlespeed. Watch this space, there'll either be an "OMG this is unreal" post soon, or maybe a for sale sign :p

Attachments

rtd

Likes Dirt
Pretty good considering it's mostly spares. You're going to have a blast trust me ;)!

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My SS uses the same frame and I love the thing. Everyone says to me to get an ENO hub, bit the tensioner is fine.

I would go clipless however... SS on flats just is a little more limited.

Have fun!

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I would go clipless however... SS on flats just is a little more limited.
Good advice, thanks! I put on some clipless.
I took her for a spin around Bruce ridge today. Unreal fun, but man it's hard work cranking up hills. I'm hammered! (and Bruce isn't that hilly )
Think it's a great way to give yourself a flogging without having time for a long one.

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm hammered! (and Bruce isn't that hilly )
Think it's a great way to give yourself a flogging without having time for a long one.
What ratio you running? You want a ratio where you can get up most hills but may have to walk the steepest pinches, but isn't just too easy and spun out on the flat or low gradients.

But really you will get the legs and a certain amount of SS technique and ways to maintain momentum that makes it all easier and not feel really any harder for a lot of riding. That said after riding a SS I do feel tired in the arms and shoulders in a way I don't on a geared bike.

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What ratio you running?
38/18 - it seemed about right for where I was riding, there was only one pinch I couldn't make. I looked at the ride data later and was only 0.5 km/h slower average than on my geared bike, although over less distance. I did spend heaps of time out of the saddle.

That said after riding a SS I do feel tired in the arms and shoulders in a way I don't on a geared bike.
I noticed that too, but had assumed it was more related to the fact that it was my first hardtail ride in 10 years