I don't know the brand of my own bike.....

oleitch

Likes Dirt
Hi, i have recently purchased a DH bike, a faily older model and I don't know what brand or model or year it is! I've looked it up on the web but cant find it. heres some pics

http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/photo/?op=view&image=208268
http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/photo/?op=view&image=208269

note it originally had v brakes (thats how old it is) and has 8in front and rear. Some components may not be stock but I just want the frame model. The frame says "Kinesis" and it has a sticker "Big B Welconnen" Thanks heaps for any help with this.

roasted

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ok then its prolly the old kinesis dh bike,
and it came from Big B bicycles, in belconnen canberra.

it looks kinda like a dbr too tho...

Superman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
well you bought it and you should read the spec of what oyu buy
it was titled an avanti

i was gonna buy this

Rik

logged out
I recall seeing a DH bike come stock with the flame graphics, an old Avanti sounds about right to me. We're talking late 90's I think?

konasaurus

Likes Dirt
hey man i swear i saw one of them for sale on dhdirect.com ages and ages ago ... it had flames and those forks i loved it ... so yeh ask dhd he might have a good idea of what it is

wait it has dhd stickers on it ... so yeh ask him

Fat_Ride

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think it may have been called an Avanti ASX something... as Rik said I think it was from about 1998.

toodles

Wheel size expert
Yep it's an Avanti. I cna't remember the original model ame but they used to have an air shock in them that gave about 4" of travel. They came out before the Moto series so I'd say 1995 would have been the last of them.

toodles

Wheel size expert
j5ive said:
The boxey one avanti had was actually a norco front end I believe?
nah they just came from the same Taiwanese catalogue. It was before Norco started providing input into their frame designs.

bazza

look at me
it looks like a gemini crossed with a craftworks dhr + a lot of poo. but if its pre 98 than its pretty cool. btw the flames are rad :lol:

floody

Wheel size expert
its a really, really old avanti, probably 1995/6 or so. There was about a year between these and the introduction of the first moto's, so that sounds about right.

I'm intrigued how its getting 8" in the back, the originals had maybe 3.5" of travel. Looks like a modified original link and a really long shock?

Originally it would have been polished, or light blue anodised, as I recall.I reckon they had a fox air shock when they were new, btw.
They rode fairly nicely for their time, weren't a bad dh setup when they were new, with some judy DH's and riser bars on...

floody

Wheel size expert
konasaurus said:
hey man i swear i saw one of them for sale on dhdirect.com ages and ages ago ... it had flames and those forks i loved it ... so yeh ask dhd he might have a good idea of what it is

wait it has dhd stickers on it ... so yeh ask him
that is the same bike.

dhd

Downhill Direct
Yep Floody's right.
It's an Avanti 1997-ish......I think they were even called Moto. It gets more travel via a longer shock and the longer forks compensate for higher rear end and keep the geometry kinda right.
I remember the guy who owned it got it painted up like that and from all accounts it rode pretty well......He went off DH and started doing triathalons or something....