I hate my bike

rockydog

Likes Dirt
I actually like my ride, but I was looking at this thread about snobbery;
http://forums.farkin.net/showthread.php?t=54929 and wondering if anyone could admit they have a dud bike?
I don't mean your first ever off roader from KMart or whatever..
Have you ever done your research, saved up your cash for months
and then bought a lemon?
If so , what was wrong with it?
What is the crappiest bike for the bucks?

arpit

Banned
Yep, bought a 400 buck mongoose BMXer, and the brakes didn't work. They still don't, since the hard anodising on the rims hasn't worn off yet. I know I can fix em, but I can't be bothered. It makes things at the skatepark a little dangerous though.

Cheers,
Arpit

craigb

Likes Dirt
the first build on my s/s race bike was crap to say the least. i knew nothing about s/s and the guy that built it knew nothing either. after lotsa $$$$ i was'nt happy with it so i took it to a guy in melbourne that knows everything about s/s and we re-built the bike again ended up costing me atleast $6000 for the 2 builds everything from wheels to brakes headstem and bars only thing i kept was the cranks from the first build. moral of the story make sure who your dealing with knows what they are on about or a great frame can still be a shit bike with the wrong parts

Red Rocket

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I hated my Haro DHR that I bought thinking was a bargain, but realised afterwards that it was super cheap because it was bloody thrashed. It rode nicely, but god, after the third stress fracture and an ovalised headtube, I was about to stress fracture myself. I hated that thing.

Wayno

I've got Gravity on my side
arpit said:
Yep, bought a 400 buck mongoose BMXer, and the brakes didn't work. They still don't, since the hard anodising on the rims hasn't worn off yet. I know I can fix em, but I can't be bothered. It makes things at the skatepark a little dangerous though.

Cheers,
Arpit
Hey Arpit,
don't blame the whole bike for the fact that the brakes don't work, an easy fix for your brake problem is to smear Coke onto the braking surface of your rims they will be squeky but they will feel 100% better

Last edited:

arpit

Banned
Wayno, the problem is that mongoose selected rims with anodized braking surfaces. TThe anodizing made the rims very slippery, and wouldn't wear through. I couldn't even lock up the back wheel. I could get faster braking with my feet.

This anodizing layer was extremely thick. I just ground it off with an angle grinder then, and there were small clouds of black dust

The braking performance still isn't great though. I'll try the coke trick. Thanks mate.

NCR600

Likes Dirt
rockydog said:
I actually like my ride, but I was looking at this thread about snobbery;
http://forums.farkin.net/showthread.php?t=54929 and wondering if anyone could admit they have a dud bike?
I don't mean your first ever off roader from KMart or whatever..
Have you ever done your research, saved up your cash for months
and then bought a lemon?
If so , what was wrong with it?
What is the crappiest bike for the bucks?
All of the bikes I have ever bought have been rubbish.
Not one of them has made me into a talented rider.

Bodin

GMBC
NCR600 said:
All of the bikes I have ever bought have been rubbish.
Not one of them has made me into a talented rider.
LOL. Best call so far from all of these threads... I can relate to it loud and clear. After 10 years and well over $25,000 of bike-related expenditure, I still freak out at how far away I am from being the rider I want to be.

Doesn't stop me from loving every minute that I ride, though.

Martin.au

Likes Dirt
My first bike was a kmart special, which was great. Not a good bike but I learnt so much about keeping it running and wrenching.

My second bike was the one I hated. Not a huge hatred but I sure felt no love lost when I gave it to a friend. It was a 96 Diamondback Sorrento SE. Hardtail, cromo and hi-ten steel, A Suntour suspension fork with 60mm travel, old school cantis, etc. It was a size too large and required as much maintenance as the old kmart bike. It saw a lot of k's but didn't progress my riding much at all. I never did manage to feel comfortable on that bike. In the end I gave it away for free.

My current bikes rock. One hasn't seen enough use to see how it holds up but the other one has been through heaps. One fork replacement and a saddle replacement and it's been perfect.

Venciferus

Likes Dirt
I'm not a big fan of my 06' AC, it seems to bog down and creaks to the s**thouse, brakes feel unreliable and it feels like you are over the front ALL the time. But I will ride it, it's not too bad, hope to get a new cycle soon.

Last edited:

roxy12

Fat Tyre Flyers
arpit said:
Wayno, the problem is that mongoose selected rims with anodized braking surfaces. TThe anodizing made the rims very slippery, and wouldn't wear through. I couldn't even lock up the back wheel. I could get faster braking with my feet.

mongoose did this so many years in a row, i remmeber countless parents coming back into the shops complaining becasue the brakes just would not work, seemeda danger that they could be let out of desighn like that.

Mo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i sometimes look at my bike and hate the fucker, but sometimes i love it.
bottom line, it's not getting riden now and all i do is admire it.

sometimes i pull it apart and re build it for no reason.

craigb

Likes Dirt
i must say i do now love every one of my bikes. even my girlfriend notices me start to grin when i look at them. you know you have the perfect bike when it brings a smile to your face every time you look at it. its almost like when you have just built up a new bike. theres something special about it

arpit said:

This anodizing layer was extremely thick. I just ground it off with an angle grinder then, and there were small clouds of black dust

The braking performance still isn't great though. I'll try the coke trick. Thanks mate.
COKE WORKS it works so good if you break to hard the calipers stick it works best with chrome rims:D :D

tu plang

knob
Mo said:
bottom line, it's not getting riden now and all i do is admire it.

sometimes i pull it apart and re build it for no reason.
we need to form a support group. i thought i was alone.

-DAvo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
buying a 2004 norco manik

24/26 wheels
drop off triples on a hardtail
single tracks..

just wasnt for me

(edit) if your ride one, then im not dissin your bike, just personal preference ;)

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
arpit said:
So THAT'S what had been stopping my bike from stopping (or not stopping it).

I rode a 1998 Mongoose Vilain that i got the year before 1998(yes, '97). Rode it every year till september last year, and the whole 7 years the brakes never worked (properly)..and noone could ever tell me why.

ive handed that on now to a mate, but ill definetly get him to use that coke trick.
thanks!!!

Mo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
oh i forgot i had a Kmart special which i hated so bad i'd ride it without tyres, bring it up my road and let it roll downhill into a ditch, then smash it into things. the thing never died, but one day i faceplanted and the forks got bent. i guess it was Karma.

Tu Plang: you can be my padwan of that Support group :)

:D

rell6103

Likes Dirt
I had a trek 4300 disk that annoyed me. It was great at first, but then it started to break and i couldn't afford to fix it or replace it.
I rounded the cranks, seized the forks, broke 3 seats, a seat post, and a stuffed derailer. I'm so glad i have a big duallie now :D

DeanE

Likes Dirt
my bike did bring a smile to my face, i was a diamondback xts 06. not your best dh rig but it was fine for me. until today my friend deiced it would be cool to roll a rock down the hill at me i jumped outa the way, once the dust setteld i found a massive dent in my top tube. i looked up to tell him what had happend he just laught and road off.