i spec ii

fop1

Likes Bikes
hi im just ordering the new xt 11 speed, but a bit confused about the shifters. Can the i spec ii be used without a shimano brake(does it come with its own clamp?)

thanks

moorey

call me Mia
hi im just ordering the new xt 11 speed, but a bit confused about the shifters. Can the i spec ii be used without a shimano brake(does it come with its own clamp?)

thanks
Nope. You'll need bar mount shifters, and they have the wretched shift windows. I went with xtr shifter instead. I didn't need more brakes, and am boycotting iSpec till they get their shit together.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Wot Moorey said. I-Spec in any of its forms is Shimano's name for integrated brake-shifter mounting (like SRAM Matchmaker). It will not work with non-compatible brakes, so bar-mount is what you need.

moorey

call me Mia
thanks for the quick response, that kinda sucks might have to go xtr shifter as well.
It feels spectacular. Haven't tried the XT one, might be just as nice. I went through wiggle. They had X1 chains on sale, I saved a bit there and put it towards the shifter. There were rumors that you don't get the dropping of the chain off the big cig back pedaling like you do with the xt chain. Anecdotally, its working for me....but it just could be that I'm awesome, and they're noobs. :noidea:

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wot Moorey said. I-Spec in any of its forms is Shimano's name for integrated brake-shifter mounting (like SRAM Matchmaker). It will not work with non-compatible brakes, so bar-mount is what you need.
It's a stretch to say that I-spec works full stop...

Warp

Likes Dirt
It's a stretch to say that I-spec works full stop...
Even I Spec B was... weird. I needed at least two wrenches to adjust the thing. Bar clamp was 4mm, the I spec and the slider on the shifter is 3mm.

That was three bolts to do to get the adjustment you do by adjusting two clamps.

Did that Moorey. Spent the extra 20 bucks and saved like 20grs and went XTR bar mount. Clamp is small, shifter is ace and it has no noob window.

nickdos

Likes Dirt
New XT shifters come in bar mount, I-Spec B & I-Spec II. Most recent Shimano brake levers support I-Spec B (even Deore) but there is NO stock of this option ATM until Nov I think. I-Spec II works with new XT & XTR brakes. As others have said, bar mount version does not come with spare cover for removing the display bit so you have to pay for this separately now which sux.

trickbooter

Likes Dirt
I would say though the XTR at the shifter end is worth the money. I run xt mech and XTR shifter. There is a good article of arts cyclery that explains some of reasons why more money into a shifter is a good proposition. YMMV of course, but shifting with an XTR shifter is like pushing air compared to my old slx shifter.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Even I Spec B was... weird. I needed at least two wrenches to adjust the thing. Bar clamp was 4mm, the I spec and the slider on the shifter is 3mm.

That was three bolts to do to get the adjustment you do by adjusting two clamps.
Only two of those are actually adjustment; the third, which mounts shifter to brake doesn't do any adjusting.