I was once fast, now I need to get fit again to show my son !! What bike to buy ?

Hello all

Way BITD around the early to mid 1990's I used mountain bike riding to keep fit for Bmx racing, mostly rode, Kinglake, Blue Lake, Mt Beauty and around the Melbourne area, raced a few 4X events in Bacchus Marsh as well, Now 36 years old and 20kgs over weight I want to start racing Bmx again but need to get get fit, what advice can you guys give me on a bike suitable for the "tame" off road tracks and to ride around the streets, Gold Cross have a Boardman Team, (scram 7 group set, avid brakes) hard tail I can get for around $1000 any feedback would be great

Was all shimano is my day how does scram compare

Cheers

Danny

moorey

call me Mia
SRAM shifter/mechs = bonza (shimano clutched is better)
SRAM/avid brakes = cabbage.

Welcome back. There's no substitute for Kms, get amongst it.

saltzzz

Likes Dirt
First off , welcome back and best of luck in deciding on a MTB :)

While you were 'away' from the biking scene the bike industry has gone from 26er>29er and now 650b/27.5

You are better off trying / purchasing a bike locally prior to placing any international mail orders.

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
Hey mate. Welcome back. Firstly, start here

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?203-Fitness-Exercise-Nutrition

Secondly, you'll be a hell of a lot faster if you lose that 20kg, and I've said this enough times now that I'm just bragging, and here I go again, I lost 20 in 3 months with regular (3 times per week, 60-80 mins per session) on a spin. Ultimately your success relies on your propensity to suffer, but don't kill yourself either. I recommend a heart rate monitor and upper zone 2 / low to mid tempo workouts.
Good luck.
Demon

Hey mate. Welcome back. Firstly, start here

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?203-Fitness-Exercise-Nutrition

Secondly, you'll be a hell of a lot faster if you lose that 20kg, and I've said this enough times now that I'm just bragging, and here I go again, I lost 20 in 3 months with regular (3 times per week, 60-80 mins per session) on a spin. Ultimately your success relies on your propensity to suffer, but don't kill yourself either. I recommend a heart rate monitor and upper zone 2 / low to mid tempo workouts.
Good luck.
Demon
Totally agree, it's all about hard work, I won the 25-29 20" class at the 2004 Bmx state titles, now I would be lucky to make the final !

I am determine to get there

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Totally agree, it's all about hard work, I won the 25-29 20" class at the 2004 Bmx state titles, now I would be lucky to make the final !

I am determine to get there
BTW no one has put on about SRAM v shim because mooreys post says it all - succinctly.

It's winter, so a spin bike outside is also an option to quickly shed kilos - threshold ride one day, tempo the next . For bmx training, intervals - I like the one where you find your vo2 max as a time period at vo2 power, then do .6 of that time 1.2* rest, then repeat 4 times, rest 2 days. Super fast results from that one for 4 minute efforts

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
^ no one wants to get into that debate. I quite like avid brakes but they require regular bleeding ie couple times per year. If you can't handle a wrench stick with shimano.