i was standing in the rain last nite......

wombat

Lives in a hole
commander_dilsnikk said:
as for hip-hop... i still haven't worked out (and noone seems to be able to tell me) the difference between it and rap...
According to what I've heard there isn't actually a difference as such, "hip-hop" simply encompasses the whole lifestyle: MCs, DJs, break dancing and graf.

Of course I could just be perpetuating a load of shit.

looseunit

Likes Dirt
although i'm not exactly sure what "ska" is these days... seems like people are labelling it as anything from older, reggae influenced, "madness" style stuff to what is basically punk or emo ("emotional" punk) with a few horns thrown in...
Ska orignally came from jamaica and came from jamica R&B. It funny when you listen to original early ska there is very little use of lyrics. Go listen to a group like the skalites who are probaly one of the best known of all the early ska groups and they sound northing like what most people think is ska now.

The main group to bring ska, dub and dancehall into the main stream music are the clash, with the albums the clash londons calling and sandadista. Alot of what people call ska is becasue of what they did even though what they did was not ska. What they did was closer to dub, reggae and dance hall, esp working with the likes of mikey dread and don letts.

looseunit

Likes Dirt
as for hip-hop... i still haven't worked out (and noone seems to be able to tell me) the difference between it and rap... i like a lot of the aussie stuff though
I dont think that hip hop is new term and i dont think that it encopasses a life style as whole. The reason that I say this is Grand Master Flash uses the word hip hop as a lyric in several songs and this was in the late 70s or early 80s.

I could well be wrong on hip hop, but i will find out one of my freind has been MC and DJing since 1988 and is on the first 2 culture of king albums.

looseunit said:
although i'm not exactly sure what "ska" is these days... seems like people are labelling it as anything from older, reggae influenced, "madness" style stuff to what is basically punk or emo ("emotional" punk) with a few horns thrown in...
Ska orignally came from jamaica and came from jamica R&B. It funny when you listen to original early ska there is very little use of lyrics. Go listen to a group like the skalites who are probaly one of the best known of all the early ska groups and they sound northing like what most people think is ska now.

The main group to bring ska, dub and dancehall into the main stream music are the clash, with the albums the clash londons calling and sandadista. Alot of what people call ska is becasue of what they did even though what they did was not ska. What they did was closer to dub, reggae and dance hall, esp working with the likes of mikey dread and don letts.
oh yeah... i know all of that... i'm just struggling to work out how the so-called "3rd Wave" ska bands (No Doubt, Reel Big Fish, etc. - who i have every respect for!!!) still have their music labelled as ska when it defies all of the trends of true-to-form ska music...
as for the Mad Caddies...... damn i love them ("Just One More" was my album of 2003) but how anyone can even call them 3rd wave is beyond me when they are quite obviously mixing a blend of latin, polka, big band, show band, etc. influences....

oh well... i give up... it's not like i have a better suggestion :)

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
Okeedokee then (?????) Bloody hell... not simple is it?

Up till now my definition of Ska was pretty simple... anything that sounded remotely regae but MUST HAVE HORNS.

As for Hip-hop... well it's basically any rap that is MORE melodic, LESS monotone and NOT having to rely on east LA street violence/gangs/hatred of women as a lyrics subject.

looseunit

Likes Dirt
As for the 3rd wave of ska and reggae, I would not call it ska either, some of it has a ska beat. Saying that some early ska has a latin feel to it and some of the early ska muscian were classical trained and had back grounds in Jazz music. Most of these new ska bands you could not say that about. The other thing with ska was that groups like the skatiltes did backup work and play with other groups like the Toots and Maytals and the wailers both of which were not ska groups. All these things blur the line of what ska and reggea are because of this cross over.

The main group that you can blame for this use of the word ska to describe is the clash, but unlike just about every other groups after them they were always doing somthing new. The first white group to do ska, dub, reggea, dancehall and hip hop as well as being one of the first punk groups. The clash are one of the few groups that I dont think you can classify because of what they did. The same goes for many punk/ska groups that do a similar thing what do you call them punk or ska in relation to their sound. Saying that i think that alot of current punk/ska music is crap many of these groups are doing stuff that has already been done.