If Arnie can, what about everyone else?

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So Arnie took to Melbourne streets after the F1 on a share bike, shock horror, helmetless. Now they are asking if he should be charged for the offence based on pics sent to the media. It kinda highlights some of the issues regarding helmet laws. Got to say, regardless of my profession's opinion, mandatory helmet laws are bullshit. Kids, yes, everyone else - optional. You won't catch me without one, but it would be a lot better for all of us if more people rode and this is just one example of what happens when you try to enforce something that has borderline logic behind it. If cyclists on shared paths have to wear helmets, so should walkers. No helmet is a lot safer than one hanging on your bars.

dr.matt

Likes Dirt
How can something that can prevent serious injury or death be bullshit?? Yeah helmets can be expensive but if you think your heads worth $20 buy a $20 helmet. Better than no helmet...

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
:bananalama: bananalama doesn't wear a helmet either - direct correlation with the first case study you mentioned above! I think you have a strong case to go to the australasian college of surgeons and get them to change their legislation guiding opinion on brain trauma and helmets.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
How can something that can prevent serious injury or death be bullshit?? Yeah helmets can be expensive but if you think your heads worth $20 buy a $20 helmet. Better than no helmet...
I don't know, for instance if all pedestrians wore one, that would also prevent serious injury or death, or perhaps all car drivers as well. Both would almost certainly save more than cycling helmets on cyclists just by weight of numbers.

Further, the crux of huge argument is that cycling actually has a net health benefit to society so reducing cycling increases other healthcare costs later on in life.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
So Arnie took to Melbourne streets after the F1 on a share bike, shock horror, helmetless. Now they are asking if he should be charged for the offence based on pics sent to the media. It kinda highlights some of the issues regarding helmet laws. Got to say, regardless of my profession's opinion, mandatory helmet laws are bullshit. Kids, yes, everyone else - optional. You won't catch me without one, but it would be a lot better for all of us if more people rode and this is just one example of what happens when you try to enforce something that has borderline logic behind it. If cyclists on shared paths have to wear helmets, so should walkers. No helmet is a lot safer than one hanging on your bars.
You Libertarian looney you!

Sometimes look at those bikes and decide the hassle isn't worth it.

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
Helmets are solemnly worn by riders in the NT. Darwin has the highest % Riders to work. It's also flat.

It'll be the same argument thrown around by a few, that it's not their responsibility to pay for Barry when he becomes a vegetable, speak to a brain surgeon etc etc

Maybe this topic could be merged with the Mcflow and enduro threads?

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
How can something that can prevent serious injury or death be bullshit?? .
The bullshit isn't the helmets, it's the law to wear them that is. A helmet at best is a secondary safety item - it only has some - limited it must be said - effect once a crash is happening. It does absolutely nothing to stop crashes happening in the first place. If you want to make cycling safer, address the real problem. People not wearing helmets on bikes is not the real problem. Finally, not wearing a helmet does not affect any other person in any way; it is therefore a victimless crime. Laws are in place to protect the greater populace. Given the helmet law does not come close to achieving this, it is a bullshit law.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
If you dont want to wear one see a Dr make some shit up and you can get an exemption - looks a bit like a vic roads license card, but says exempt from helmet laws or some such crap.

My opinion is strongly for mandatory helmet laws and that kids wearing helmets should be ruthlessly enforced, but the statistical evidence suggests that helmets have made little difference to deaths and serious injuries (see pages 166-168).

http://www.cyclehelmets.org/papers/p787.pdf

On a side note, Arnie is a terrible example of health and risk aversion, is in terrible health from all the illegal shit he pumped into his body.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
The bullshit isn't the helmets, it's the law to wear them that is. A helmet at best is a secondary safety item - it only has some - limited it must be said - effect once a crash is happening. It does absolutely nothing to stop crashes happening in the first place. If you want to make cycling safer, address the real problem. People not wearing helmets on bikes is not the real problem. Finally, not wearing a helmet does not affect any other person in any way; it is therefore a victimless crime. Laws are in place to protect the greater populace. Given the helmet law does not come close to achieving this, it is a bullshit law.
There is also the argument that mandatory helmet laws reduce cycling rates, presumable due to people not wanting to mess up their hair, or finding them uncomfortable? I bet the Melbourne bike-hire scheme would absolutely take-off if helmets were not required. And the argument can then be made that the population health benefits of having more people engaging in exercise and reduced pollution outways the risk reduction of compulsory helmets.

Whether the numbers stack up or not is way too complex for my brain. But either way, I will always use a helmet by choice.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Helmets are solemnly worn by riders in the NT. Darwin has the highest % Riders to work. It's also flat.

It'll be the same argument thrown around by a few, that it's not their responsibility to pay for Barry when he becomes a vegetable, speak to a brain surgeon etc etc

Maybe this topic could be merged with the Mcflow and enduro threads?
We already do a risky sport that involves more than our fair share of trips to the ER as a group, so the vege argument doesn't hold unless you are the extremely risk adverse type who pays shitloads of tax.

As pointed out, the stats do not paint a clear picture of the effects from a head injuries perspective in spite of a 20 year experience. One Would have expected it to be a very clear benefit towards lower head injuries, but it isn't so. While neurologists might be on the laws side, epidemiologists and cardiologists might not. Neurologists I'm guessing might also be on the side of banning alcohol too!

No bikes, no alcohol - I'd rather be a peasant in India

stirk

Burner
Imagine the extra head trauma from magpie attack if nobody wore helmets!

Personally I need mine to headbutt branches away.

oriion

Likes Dirt
I'm not really concerned about what I AM doing on my bike to look after myself - I'll wear a helmet always because it's just simple plain bloody common sense.

It's all the other deadshits on the roads that bother me.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Finally, not wearing a helmet does not affect any other person in any way; it is therefore a victimless crime. Laws are in place to protect the greater populace. Given the helmet law does not come close to achieving this, it is a bullshit law.
We have a public health system and when dudes get vegged the public purse ends up paying. That's one of the arguments as to how not wearing a helmet can affect others.

I wear a helmet every second of my life. It sits between my scalp and my brain. And it looks damned good.

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
We already do a risky sport that involves more than our fair share of trips to the ER as a group, so the vege argument doesn't hold unless you are the extremely risk adverse type who pays shitloads of tax.

As pointed out, the stats do not paint a clear picture of the effects from a head injuries perspective in spite of a 20 year experience. One Would have expected it to be a very clear benefit towards lower head injuries, but it isn't so. While neurologists might be on the laws side, epidemiologists and cardiologists might not. Neurologists I'm guessing might also be on the side of banning alcohol too!

No bikes, no alcohol - I'd rather be a peasant in India
Agreed. I've never seen someone in Australia or UK out on the trails without a helmet. It is common sense. What is wrong with allowing people the choice? (Insert argument about seat belts and cars)
As Pastavore and yourself mentioned, the overall health benefits of riding without a lid outweigh the reduced participation due to helmet laws. There are too many fatties.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
We have a public health system and when dudes get vegged the public purse ends up paying. That's one of the arguments as to how not wearing a helmet can affect others.

I wear a helmet every second of my life. It sits between my scalp and my brain. And it looks damned good.
I do take mine off when I have a shower so I can wash my hair. But then I put it back on straight away in case I slip getting out...