If you have a beard, guess what...., you're an idiot.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Johnny, sometimes I respect your opinion.
Now I do not.
It seems you are jealous because you cannot grow a beard of your own. Beards are okay, saying one type is and the other is odd... perhaps you should go and paint some of your horrid grafitti and get your little worshippers to say how good it is so you can feel better about your rainy afternoon?
Again....., and again. It's not about the beard, it's about blindly following trends. I shave for work and when it becomes uncomfortable, usually about 4-5 days in. I couldn't give a shit about beards, I give a shit about people who can't make up their minds for themselves. The person who grew a beard when it wasn't fashionable is cool. The people that followed that guy suck. I gather from your hurtedness that you're in the later group.

And lol Xplenty at your remark about my painting and that apparently I have worshippers now! Hahaha, sorry for hurting your feelings there, little guy!! haha!

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I'm growing a beard, 6 weeks in... It's awesome....

Eat a bag .....

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk
I read: I want to be like those other guys that are following other people. I'm 6 weeks in and I feel better about myself. When the next big thing comes along, I'm probably going to jump on that bandwagon as well!!!

Please don't hurt my feelings, I'm terribly insecure and fragile. I mean, look at what I've done to my face to try and shore up my self esteem!!

Fashion victim.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
I can't believe so many people have missed Johnny's point! How about we change the word to beard to fixie bikes!!!!!! Actually it's the same thing….those same tossers are riding fixie bikes just to be fashionable cool.

I too have a beard…..not a farkin Ned Kelly styled within an inch of it's hairy life fashionista beard, but a trimmed beard. Funnily enough, one of my guys at work brought up the same topic as this the other day Johnny….he came to the same conclusion.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
I read: I want to be like those other guys that are following other people. I'm 6 weeks in and I feel better about myself. When the next big thing comes along, I'm probably going to jump on that bandwagon as well!!!

Please don't hurt my feelings, I'm terribly insecure and fragile. I mean, look at what I've done to my face to try and shore up my self esteem!!

Fashion victim.
Zzzzzz ....whatever suits yourself....
As I said already... Eat a bag!

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
But now I'm unsure.

If I grow a beard, I'm following a trend and I'm a fashion victim.
But I've been told that no shits are given about the beard.
So if I don't grow a beard, then I'm following a trend about not following a trend.
If I grow the beard so I don't follow the trend of not following the trend of growing a beard, I'm following a trend of growing a beard.
But if I grow a beard, but don't give a shit about it then I'll look like a hairy arsecrack.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Yeah this is a load of BS

Mr johnnycakes is just stirring the shit pot.

Definitely got a point regarding trendy hipsters growing beards, but majority of beard owners have nill to do with this!

Partly, yeah. It doesn't annoy as much as I make out it does, but I knew that if I threw this one out there I would find a lot of people firmly planted on either side of the fence and happy to put forth on it.

And you're right, the majority of beards are normal, as a matter of fact I have almost a week's growth on me now, because I hate shaving. It's the people who would not have grown a bushy without it ever becoming fashionable that I'm talking about here and I think it's even gone past the hipster thing.

Remember when every tool had an Oakley sticker on their car, regardless of whether they even owned any Oakley prods? It's kind of become the same with beards, even non-hipster folk have them now. It's really and truly filtered all the way down to your average Commodore driving Kmart shopper, car mechanic, sales rep, office admin, McDonalds eating every day bloke. It's that much of a fashion trend now, and these people would never, ever have done it 7 years ago and in another few years they will have shaved it off because it's no longer "the thing". Or even worse, they will say shit like "I shaved mine off when everyone started growing one" as if they were the anti-fashionista rather than the fashion victim.

I love semiology and the way we communicate to our peers. I do it, you do it, it's the way we are. However, I never grew a fucking beard to fit in ;)

floody

Wheel size expert
Its about going to extremes about trends right?
Bro-fiving your uncle reco-wearing clone mates over your beards and spending half your life giggling over Team Beard memes VS Having a beard because you want to grow your facial hair a bit longer.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Zzzzzz ....whatever suits yourself....
As I said already... Eat a bag!
Haha, I love how you act nonchalant and unaffected whilst you take the time to defend yourself.

You care because you are insecure.

You are a fashion victim because you are insecure and you crave reassurance from those around you.

But it's ok, you're just like all the others.

Last edited:

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
This is a consumerist society. Pretty much everyone is following one type of trend or another.

It's more about belonging to a group, sometimes it's a small group, other times it's the largest group ( conformity), but either way, it's completely normal and average, tatts are a trend, stupid sunglasses are, beards are, being a grumpy middle aged man seems to be too.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Man, go have a beer ..... And if u ever meet me you can actually make an educated assessment of my insecurities!

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
This is a consumerist society. Pretty much everyone is following one type of trend or another.

It's more about belonging to a group, sometimes it's a small group, other times it's the largest group ( conformity), but either way, it's completely normal and average, tatts are a trend, stupid sunglasses are, beards are, being a grumpy middle aged man seems to be too.
Yes, but one has to earn his stripes before he can become a grumpy old man.

17 year olds like JTmofo can't do it over 6 weeks when it becomes popular all of a sudden.

Doggy

Inconceivable!
Now couldn't your theory of the anti fashion folk be used along the same lines for what you are saying now. You are the autonomous anti-beard/fashion/hipster douche, etc. People will see you being the afore mentioned anti-BFH for short, they will thinnk it is cool, they will want to be like you. The BFH moves to the no longer cool category and the anti-BFH (yourself) becomes cool, therefore you become fashionable and everything that you seem to despise, you grow a beard to be different to everyone else because fuck them and you continue the vicious circle of life.
Tough gig

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Now couldn't your theory of the anti fashion folk be used along the same lines for what you are saying now. You are the autonomous anti-beard/fashion/hipster douche, etc. People will see you being the afore mentioned anti-BFH for short, they will thinnk it is cool, they will want to be like you. The BFH moves to the no longer cool category and the anti-BFH (yourself) becomes cool, therefore you become fashionable and everything that you seem to despise, you grow a beard to be different to everyone else because fuck them and you continue the vicious circle of life.
Tough gig
So you're saying being mainstream is cool because being anti mainstream is so mainstream?