i'm back, with something a little different

Ty

Eats Squid
ok guys i've been away a while and heres a little look into what i've been up to.

The green bike (mine) is a Dawes Horizon full reynolds 501, 1996 model speced out with pretty much full alivio, dawes racks, mavic rims, 105 pedals and a fat bell (it's illegal to ride without a bell in holland, crazy country!) and nokia tires (yes like the phone company)

the blue machine (Tashas) is a Dawes Galaxy full Reynolds 531, 1987-88 model, with shimano 600, some old school XT (canti brakes and threded headset) steel rims and with some conti touring tires, pretty much a classic.

and the reason for owning these bikes. Well tash a i departed from the regular backpacking scene in europe and rode up the rhine river, starting in Amsterdam, across the netherlands (holland), part of germany then into switzerland, over the course of 3 weeks. pretty much the ride of a life time.
in that time we managed not a single mechanical (not even a flat tire), only changing a set of brakepads after a long day on dirt trails in the rain, not bad for bikes with a combined age of over 27 years.
anyways i'll fill people in about the trip in another post.

Attachments

Last edited:

bazza

look at me
that sounds friggen awesome! ahhhhhhhh. whats the weather like??? do you have to wear cold weather gear or is it a nice time of the year or whatever?

ahhhhhhhh. i want to go to europe and ride around :(.

Ty

Eats Squid
we did it really late in the season, late september/ early october (with dreams of getting to oktober-fest) we had some rain, maybe 4 days total which was a real drag as we couldn't dry everything properly for the next days riding, most days were warm to hot, like comfortable in shorts and a T-shirt. nights cooled down abit, i think we got a bit of frost on the last couble of days. we went later so we could earn abit more cash working in the english summer season, and it's almost impossible to camp anywhere in western europe in august because the whole of france pretty much has the month off work and goes camping.

like i said i'll do a full story when i get some time. stay tuned.