Image to Text converters

Matt H

Eats Squid
Ok, I've got some documents I need to edit and reprint and I used to have a nifty program on my old computer that would somehow create a text or .doc file out of a scanned image. Unfortunately I don't have it any more but REALLY need something similar. I've downloaded a whole bunch of similar programs already, but they either don't work at all or try and make me pay money to use them.

Can anyone help me out?

sockman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Can't you do that in Adobe acrobat(the pdf reader one)? Make it a PDF file then highlight stuff? Works like that in preview on mac, and im fairly sure adobe does it too...

Calv

Likes Bikes
Hi Matt H,
The nifty piece of software is called OCR (Optical Character Recognition)
The OCR component within Office is called Document Imaging and it's not installed in Office 2007 by default. You can add it though by inserting your Office 2007 CD and selecting Add Features or Add Components. Sorry I can't remember what the option is off the top of my head, but once you insert the disk you'll work it out I'm sure :) Select Document Imaging and then change the option next to it, to my Run From My Computer.

Edit: Note MS Document Imaging isn't the best OCR out there, but it should work as long as the text in the image is fairly legible, or even better, typed or print. As Spanky mentioned, there are a number of free alternatives out there too. I suggested Doc Imaging as it's already included as part of Office, which you own.

Last edited:

tu plang

knob
Can't you do that in Adobe acrobat(the pdf reader one)? Make it a PDF file then highlight stuff? Works like that in preview on mac, and im fairly sure adobe does it too...
It wont recongise it as text unless its been through an OCR tool. otherwise the scan would just be one big image.