Imagine A World With No Religion

slip

Beefcake...BEEFCAKE!!!
You drunkard, I thought it was rather obvious my laughter signified how silly I think that comment is.

Fuckit, here you go.

People have their own economies, values, ideas, morals, territory, greed, difference in government, desire to expand etc etc. The idea that without religion we would all be holding hands and doing a massive cross-continental oral sex daisy chain is laughable. Hell, we even fight over sport.

No religion does not equal no conflict.

'Ross

Eats Squid
Id say we are better off with it, gives all the nutcases and lunatics something to focus their energy into.....without it there would be some crazy shit goin down!

frostbite

Likes Dirt
Alright a lot of people hating on religion - how about the other side?

Consider a world without aid organisations which were started, or are still operated, by religious bodies. A lot of unfortunate people would suffer. In particular Africa would be that little bit more fucked that it already is.
Even on a community level here in Australia - so many of our charities are affiliated with religious bodies.

Organised religion also does a hell of a lot of good in this world. While many atrocities have been carried out in its name over the centuries, If it hadn't been around people would have found other reasons to do those things (for a start - race).

Gruntled

Likes Dirt
I think we should over-simplify an extremely complex situation so we can all make gross generalisations which amount to nothing due to their black-and-white worldview.

I think we should keep this up, it's really intelligent, well thought-out and meaningful.

indica

Serial flasher
I think we should keep this up, it's really intelligent, well thought-out and meaningful.
Hehe, drunk arguments are funny.
I just thought it was an interesting quote, I came across it as I was browsing Goem.org.
Thought I would throw it up and go to bed, Farkin is always good for a laugh ...

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
Hehe, drunk arguments are funny.
I just thought it was an interesting quote, I came across it as I was browsing Goem.org.
Thought I would throw it up and go to bed, Farkin is always good for a laugh ...
Jezz what a night....:eek:

PSYCHO-T

Likes Dirt
I just had a religous weirdo come to my door 5 mins ago asking "Have you heard the good word son?"

to which i reply "YES, Oh praise Jesus, I can't believe it Its finaly happened they made abortions decriminalised, BUT have you heard the better news, The greatness of premarrital sex? oh its so joyus(sp)"

he left after i cont' rambling about things that are great that the church doesn't agree on

back On topic, i can't imagin a world without religion, then what will be the source of all great debates?

Bocaj1994

Likes Dirt
I go to a religious school and it is compulsory to do religion as a subject until yr 12. My problem is they talk about it like a video game or a cartoon. I had an assignment to research an organization given to us and one question about it was "What evil does this organization fight against?" and of course i failed because the organization had no history. I can chose what i want to believe everyone in my class knows i hate religion and hate god my religion teacher knows. Then she asked me if i even know what atheist meant like I'm some 11 yr old being taught about 'The birds and the bees'.

hubbie

Forever 1,337
Although, they did it on South Park and it kinda fucked everything up unfortunately. We can always dream...:(.
I liked that episode. It illustrated my view on it well.

Thats just a scape goat.

Humans always find a way to lie, cheat, steal, murder. Take religion out of the equation and something else will replace it - like oil.
Agreed. Think of all the horrible things certain Atheists do aswell. But it's not all of them. You can't group all religious people together as one sort of person, just like you can't group all Atheists together. I truly believe the root purpose and aims of religion, or atleast mine, would do nothing but improve the wellbeing of the world, however humans are imperfect, and have a habit of mis-interpreting things, or bending it the way that suits them.

I don't want to get into a religious debate while I'm studying, but I always feel these discussions are close to my heart.

cossack

Likes Bikes
I find it humorous that some bloke’s imaginary friend is mightier and righteous then some other bloke’s imaginary friend. And as such this fella should try and convince other fellas to give up their imaginary friends.

Religion is for people who need to believe there is more to life than dieing. And that is Ok. Some people just need to believe there is more.

Religions tend to preach with a big stick, if you don’t do this or that you will suffer.

I think it’s more important to be a good person than being a good christian, moslem, hindu, whatever.

Lanky Love

Likes Dirt
IMO religion is not a problem, it teaches people alot. By the way im not religious, but the problem in this world is fundamentalists. People who take it too far and are too close minded to be accepting. Most religious people will be accepting of other religions.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
I liked that episode. It illustrated my view on it well.

Agreed. Think of all the horrible things certain Atheists do aswell. But it's not all of them. You can't group all religious people together as one sort of person, just like you can't group all Atheists together. I truly believe the root purpose and aims of religion, or atleast mine, would do nothing but improve the wellbeing of the world, however humans are imperfect, and have a habit of mis-interpreting things, or bending it the way that suits them.

I don't want to get into a religious debate while I'm studying, but I always feel these discussions are close to my heart.
IMO religion is not a problem, it teaches people alot. By the way im not religious, but the problem in this world is fundamentalists. People who take it too far and are too close minded to be accepting. Most religious people will be accepting of other religions.
Of course there is no argument against the good the religion does do, but thats not the point raised - religion as a WHOLE is what was being targeted, which is a collective of all involved, be them good, bad or indifferent.

I'm not to disagree with you about aid organisations doing good, but you must realise that you do not need to have some religious doctrine to do good. Good comes from within. If you have to hide behind a book to giude your way then 'good' come from what the book tells you and not from within yourself.
Commonly, its those very same people that claim without the bible (as example) people would have no morals.

ie: Don't to unto others what you don't want done to yourself.

A lot of unfortunate people would suffer. In particular Africa would be that little bit more fucked that it already is.
Africe is farked because you have a large christian organisation going thru there proclaiming that condoms are evil and no one should use them (etc. etc.). With or without these few things, African continent doesn't exactly have the best environs for a thriving economy. The land has to support the population - it doesn't!

And so the logical conclusion why there are so many religious based organisations everyhere is due to the perks of being a non-taxable entity along with the garenteed audience of people dealing with hardship. Hardship is not a choice if someone knows how to make their own way (have a good education, make money, be sucessful, die happy etc.). If one is 'lost' then religious orgs have a person they can help....

and in return they get a listening ear.

new guy

Likes Dirt
Just remember that even though war is terrible and utterly stupid. It does has an upside, War generaly causes a technology boom and so of things we have today would of never been though of. and although i disagree with war it does have an advantage..

As for my views on religion i personaly arnt religious but don't disagree altogether i think some people need the feeling that theres a greater being looking over them and helping them As a sence af sercurity.

Nabdaddy

Likes Dirt
good quote on this topic...

"On the first day, man created God"

I thought that was an awesome and very true quote IMO