IMBA Au to bring purpose built trail dozer to Oz

retroenduro

Likes Dirt
urgh (slaps head in mild frustration) yes i know that half bench is half baked etc etc. The past few weeks of my work life has been spent designing a fix where our ever so wise forefathers have decided that its a great easy way to build infrastructure...doh.

No the way it would work is you would cut a full bench using the dozer using an angled blade. Think of a snow plow clearing a snow covered road, pushing the snow to the sides.

As you move you push the spoil over the edge and allow it to disperse and settle slope rather than compacting up to form a bench. You would still need people to batter back the side slope and an excavtor would be great for that and yeah there would be an impact on the immediate environment but i guarantee its a fast way to do it (depending on a million vaiables).

Hey we could set up a top gear style race between the excavator and the dozer. It would be great way for IMBA to 'prove' thier machine :biggrin:

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
urgh (slaps head in mild frustration)
No need for the frustrations. I have a few years experience of dozer driving (Well a lot of the time we were using loaders but same principal when it came to pushing through roads) stock piling coal in the mines so just pointing out the limitations. Right tool for the right job and all that.

Outtacontrol suggested the excavator would be a better tool where you have a steep side slop. Oppy questioned that. I gave an explanation. Can't see why head slaps are needed really.

Try getting a trail past Sydney Catchment Authority where your building method is "To push the excess dirt over the side and let it settle."

As I said originally I think it would be a great tool, in the right application. I've even approached nick about booking it in for one of our projects. Just pointing out it wont be the right tool for all projects all the time.

Last edited:

retroenduro

Likes Dirt
Can't see why head slaps are needed really.
ha ha Its because when ever i try and type something i do it too quick and dont entirely get my point accross correctly. It was a head slap at myself he he:biggrin:

Last edited:

floody

Wheel size expert
So basically this thing is a very heavy (for its width and length), narrow track dozer?

Last edited:

retroenduro

Likes Dirt
yep apparently so and the added wieght and improved traction of cat tracks (and super low ratio, high torque drive) means it will push alot more material than a loader or an excavator fitted with a blade.

PS i have nothing to do with this and am not trying to sell it...i just really like dozers haha!

That video was good .. it can handle some slope , but the benchcutting process isn't that much different to the excavator..

this dozer would be great on flattish terrain

Dobbo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Gentlemen...Start you engines.

Greenvalleys will be back cutting some more trail soon with an excavator. Bring this little beast down and we will mark out equal lengths of trail, switchbacks etc and the race can be on. :clap2:

thecat

Tony Boone (IMBA trail dozer driver extraordinaire) is currently in Lithgow. Dozer should turn up tomorrow. Pony Express is going to be off the hook.

retroenduro

Likes Dirt
Greenvalleys will be back cutting some more trail soon with an excavator. Bring this little beast down and we will mark out equal lengths of trail, switchbacks etc and the race can be on. :clap2:
Having actually now seen this thing work i think the dozer will win hands down. Its crazy quick at cutting trails!

I saw some great shots of this thing in action , although the terrain didn't look to steep.. impressed . yes.. although i will still stick to the excavator. it can dig out tree stumps ( if really needed) can turn around on a dime , and can bench cut a corner a little easer.. though hands down , i think this thing would be better on a pre prepared , cut , clean and ready to go line, as opposed to cutting in a track on a steep , lantana thick , rocky ,flagged out route...

well done on getting this machine on your project.. very sneaky indeed... think i need to network a little better...

thecat

I saw some great shots of this thing in action , although the terrain didn't look to steep.. impressed . yes.. although i will still stick to the excavator. it can dig out tree stumps ( if really needed) can turn around on a dime , and can bench cut a corner a little easer.. though hands down , i think this thing would be better on a pre prepared , cut , clean and ready to go line, as opposed to cutting in a track on a steep , lantana thick , rocky ,flagged out route....
You'd be surprised. As with most things the benefits are mostly seen with a bit of preparation and a good operator. What we though would take tony a week took him a day and a half

And as with most things the terrain was steeper and more over grown than the vid made it look :clap2:

It may be hanging around NSW for a bit longer so if your keen on getting some stuff done give Nick a hoy

dtrainmiller

Likes Dirt
Yeow

This dozzer and Patto have done wonders for MTBing on Craigburn Farm SA. Great job, well done, hats off!!!!!

The beauty of having such a machine is to cut wider, more user friendly trails, let all ages and skill levels to challenge them selves. I personally am all for more people getting of the dangerous roads, and onto these awesome trails.

keep it up guys!