IMBA whats happening

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Does Australia need IMBA representation or just better land access with responsible trail builders?
For the record, this Bowman dude is at World Trail now, saw the report earlier today.

ando_assi

Likes Dirt
Does Australia need IMBA representation or just better land access with responsible trail builders?
For the record, this Bowman dude is at World Trail now, saw the report earlier today.
IMO vic needs a top down approach to mtb advocacy
I knew Nick went to world trail, but was wondering what was going to happen to IMBA-AU.

ParksVic really listened to IMBA.

Olly76

Likes Dirt
100% we need IMBA representation. Land managers want an official body that sets guide lines to volunteer building.

We also will not get better access without a national / state body pushing our cause helping to break down the barriers between land managers and mtb groups and users

Damn shame our national body MTBA does not recognize the work Nick had done and are too worried about the racing scene rather than the hundreds of thousand recreational riders. Does not make sense!

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I thought IMBA was meant to be supported by MTBA for the first 3 years or so and then it would stand on its own?

Is anyone taking over?

Olly76

Likes Dirt
I thought IMBA was meant to be supported by MTBA for the first 3 years or so and then it would stand on its own?

Is anyone taking over?
Well our national mtb body is not interested in supporting community mtbing, they are happy to take our money but will only support the 1% of riders in the community ( professional racers)

rumors are that they are winding up IMBA, not confirmed by MTBA but no job advert or replacement of Nick Boweman it does not look too good.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I'm very lucky to have built a reputable and responsible relationship with my local land owners and I'm known as a guy to build stuff that suits all involved. I haven't ever needed any secondary advice or references to float and commence any projects, hence the fact that I see it as odd that a lot of clubs and riders rely on an expert to do their work for them. It's way too political and unfortunately, it hurts the essence of what mountain biking should be about; time with friends and family doing some great exercise and having fun.

Land owners need to recognise a dedicated person in a club to oversee the trails and convene with them on how things are done.

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm very lucky to have built a reputable and responsible relationship with my local land owners and I'm known as a guy to build stuff that suits all involved. I haven't ever needed any secondary advice or references to float and commence any projects, hence the fact that I see it as odd that a lot of clubs and riders rely on an expert to do their work for them. It's way too political and unfortunately, it hurts the essence of what mountain biking should be about; time with friends and family doing some great exercise and having fun.

Land owners need to recognise a dedicated person in a club to oversee the trails and convene with them on how things are done.
True and I am also lucky to have a constructive relationship with the LM (QPWS), but they certainly have used IMBA as way to enhance their trust for trailwork in the park. It may be an issue even for us if there is no IMBA entity in the future, although it will be easier for us than for someone trying to develop a new trail system.

Olly76

Likes Dirt
True and I am also lucky to have a constructive relationship with the LM (QPWS), but they certainly have used IMBA as way to enhance their trust for trailwork in the park. It may be an issue even for us if there is no IMBA entity in the future, although it will be easier for us than for someone trying to develop a new trail system.
We also have an excellent relationship with local PV Rangers going right to the top of Parks Vic Head office. We liase with them on a weekly basis and overall the relationship works well.

The problem is though with litigation these days they require an authority to advise the themselves and trail builders on how it should be done. In our case we have just built a skills park adding Table top jumps, double jumps, drop off's and step up jumps. In our case IMBA designed the course and has drawn the features with measurements which we will now follow when we build in the park. This gives the voluteers the coverage if something goes wrong and gives PV a set of guidlines to ensure what is being built meets a standard.

Sounds over the top but if you go out and just build a jump in the park whose responsibility is it?? Trust me we spent 9 long months going through this topic and in the end Volunteers could not walk away from it especially if no process was followed.
Another point is that if the Ranger in charge changes will you have the same access. You might have a good thing going now but people move and you might be back to square one with a ranger / park manager who does not have the same view as the past.
If it is in writing black and white there is no wiggle room for anyone.

Also IMBA is a needed assett to get new areas up and running more so management of the existing approved parks but is did help having them around.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
From the latest MTBA newsletter...

What’s Happening to IMBA.AU?
After what has been an extremely beneficial and rewarding contribution to mountain biking in Australia and to MTBA, Nick Bowman, our National Director of IMBA.AU has decided to move onto new challenges. Nick has been instrumental in developing and advocating for so many positive improvements in mountain bike trials around the country, MTBA are sad to see Nick go, but we are extremely thankful for his contributions as a member of the MTBA team and wish him all the very best for the future. Our best wishes extend to his team Trudi, Marty and Shane.

The IMBA Team have covered a large surface area in the country with our clubs and volunteers building fun trails to the highest of World standards. Nick has certainly applied his creativity, enhanced and protected our tracks and making our ride aesthetically pleasing and most importantly fun!

For the cross section of clubs, forestries, councils, riders and even indoor architects who have attended the high standard IMBA Australia workshops, I encourage you to continue with your skills in designing and maintaining your local trails and community.

Thankfully, Nick will stay in contact with MTBA and work with us on conducting workshops in trails and advocacy along with Marty. With Nick’s departure, MTBA will be relocating our trials and advocacy program into our Sydney Head Office. Further we will be making some slight restructuring to the current programs roles, activities and tasks. We will also shortly be in a position to provide an outline to members for our trails and advocacy program. Trails and advocacy will remain a very important focus to MTBA into the future.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Apparently clubs have been asked not to renew their IMBA Au affiliation.

Just prior to the original announcement I renewed my personal IMBA Au membership for 3 years. I haven't heard back from MTBA regarding what this means for my individual membership.

There was no mention of IMBA Au in the last MTBA newsletter. Does anyone know anything more?

Last edited:

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
No idea but when MTBA was just Tony Scott in his lounge room you knew you'd get your question answered pretty much right away, Sure you may not like the answer but you got it. Now they have a Sydney office with dedicated staff and you're luck if you get a reply after weeks and multiple requests so know idea how they will handle the extra work load of IMBA au

Stinky

Likes Dirt
No idea but when MTBA was just Tony Scott in his lounge room you knew you'd get your question answered pretty much right away, Sure you may not like the answer but you got it. Now they have a Sydney office with dedicated staff and you're luck if you get a reply after weeks and multiple requests so know idea how they will handle the extra work load of IMBA au
They wont. Just like the rest of the elements in their Charter. You can still expect licences to go up next year to cover the costs of their added workload.

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm still hearing rumour IMBA Australia will fold up. While internationally IMBA and its design and trail "standards" are unchanged, being unable to have site assessments and training days is going to leave land managers with more to deal with. While that sounds like an issue, I am not sure it is as big an issue as even 2 years ago.

I just attended the QORF (Qld Outdoor Recreation Federation) MTB forum. It is the first for some time and there was a lot of updating of MTB status in areas managed by state government, councils, SEQ Water, Qld Parks and from MTB clubs, plus professional and volunteer trailbuilders. Regardless of IMBA, there is no question MTB is on a go-ahead agenda in Qld. The changes in management include increased confidence in the value of MTB and essentially zero objection or obstruction. Trail access counters have estimated MTB use at between 30 and 67% of all use in areas around Brisbane and adjacent Logan and Redlands council areas. Councils are not only now prepared to accept the reality of MTB user pressure, but they want to develop the activity and they want it to have economic impact within their communities as well. There has been a notable phase shift in attitude.

In addition, there was widespread acknowledgement of the need for machine-built trail. The reasons were to improve land management (better access for control works), efficient construction, the desire to construct durable trail from the start, avoiding the need for excessive maintenance and clearly also the acceptance of professional trailbuilding by all land managers. For these reasons, I suspect land managers across Australia are becoming more comfortable with the way MTB trails fit with their provision of recreational access and will still go with MTB if IMBA does fall.

akashra

Eats Squid
If this kind of thing is happening then can you please let one of the committee members who you speak to or who use the forums know - myself included. Particularly helpful would be whether you're sure it was MTBA staff, or CA staff who are supposed to get back to or you've dealt with. If CA staff are supposed to get back to you and they are not doing so, where MTBA have an agreement with them to get things done, please make sure we know about this so we can address the fact that, and why, members are not getting the service required.

If you can contact me with details I'll escalate it to the right person.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So no official news?

We've had 3 or 4 member updates/newsletters from MTBA since the original announcement.

Oppy

Likes Dirt
New positions will be advertised soon... according to the MTBA email I got.

"From the Executive Officer

It's been another busy two weeks!

We now have an additional 300+ members who have joined MTBA as ‘Free Trial’ Members for eight weeks... Welcome aboard! Clubs will receive some promotional flyers in the mail over the next two weeks. Your friends and family can join at www.joinmtba.com

Congratulations to our athletes, coaches and support staff attending the Commonwealth Games, starting this week in Glasgow. We wish you all a great experience and fantastic results!

We also have our Junior DHI Team departing for the USA/Canada this weekend to compete in two upcoming World Cup events. Best wishes to all riders and team staff.

The final round of the 2015 National Season has now been announced and further announcements are due in the next two weeks for all the remaining rounds. With the goal of making the series once again a 'true' national series, rounds are planned to be held in NSW, VIC, QLD, ACT and WA! Keep an eye out for some upcoming Level 1 MTB Coaches courses and Junior Camps in both NSW and VIC.

There are some staff positions becoming available at MTBA in Trials Advocacy, Events/ International Representative and Development Programs. Watch out in the upcoming weeks for advertisements of all positions.

Drink plenty of coffee, stay up late and let’s cheer on all of our Aussie riders overseas during the next two weeks! Read more...

Shane Coppin, EO MTBA"