In Canberra for a few days so what are the best places to ride.

I need some help, I am in Canberra for a few days with my wife and I was just wondering what are the good MTB areas to ride other than Stromlo. I have done the Scott 24hr a couple of times so I know the tracks around Stromlo a bit.
Any help would be great.

Regards Michael

gixer7

Likes Dirt
You should check out this thread for info - a lot of the tracks in Canberra were badly damaged in the heavy rain of the last few weeks.

Also, Sparrow Hill is being logged - I think some parts of it are still rideable but a lot less than normal.

frensham

Likes Dirt
You should check out this thread for info - a lot of the tracks in Canberra were badly damaged in the heavy rain of the last few weeks.

Also, Sparrow Hill is being logged - I think some parts of it are still rideable but a lot less than normal.
Sparrow Hill is very rideable at the moment. There is a 15 km signed track that is a really good ride. Just follow the red triangles/arrows and you can't get lost.

So if we go and have a look at sparrow hill, where should I start from. Basic directions would be great.

Michael

frensham

Likes Dirt
So if we go and have a look at sparrow hill, where should I start from. Basic directions would be great.

Michael
Assuming you know how to get to Sparrow?

From the car park you need to hop over the fence on the left just in front of the main gate (which is locked and has plenty of signs and some XC info). Then just follow the red triangles/arrows up the track that follows the fence and keep on riding whilst following the red triangles - easy. When you reach the end of the trail (about 15km) near the toilet don't forget to turn right down the (now naked) hill to pick up the very last bit of fun trail along the creek and back to the main gate.

Thanks for that. No I have not been to sparrow before. Do I get to it off Kings Highway.
I know where Kowen is but it is hard to find Sparrow hill marked on a map.

Michael

frensham

Likes Dirt
Thanks for that. No I have not been to sparrow before. Do I get to it off Kings Highway.
I know where Kowen is but it is hard to find Sparrow hill marked on a map.

Michael
Kings Highway correct. The car park is about 12 km after the last roundabout out of Queanbeyan OR 3km after you cross the Molonglo River (lovely old railway bridge on your left). There are two warning signs (in yellow) about 'turning traffic ahead', when you see the second of these, start looking for cars parked on the right, if no cars, the clear area on the right is obvious. I rode the circuit the other day, first one way, then the other - keep an eye out for traffic as all of Sparrow was designed to be ridden in both directions.

That's Fantastic.
Thanks you very much for the help. I need as much help as I can get being a dumb New South Welshman and all.

Regards Michael

Last edited:

frensham

Likes Dirt
Thats Fantastic.
Thanks you very much for the help. I need as much help as I can get being a dump New South Welshman and all.

Regards Michael
No probs. Have you tried Majura? http://new.corc.asn.au/trails/?IntCatId=10&IntContId=2477
Best place to enter is Race Gate on the Majura Rd. From the Airport travel about 9km and look for a small parking area on the left after the Innabinya Girl Guides Camp. If you reach the Majura Winery you have gone too far. Some lovely riding to be had at Majura (recent rains have had some effect but reports are that the riding is still very good).

gixer7

Likes Dirt
Sparrow Hill is very rideable at the moment. There is a 15 km signed track that is a really good ride. Just follow the red triangles/arrows and you can't get lost.
Sweet, thanks for the info Frensham. That's better than I was expecting. Still worth a trip down from Sydney I think.

Kings Highway correct. The car park is about 12 km after the last roundabout out of Queanbeyan OR 3km after you cross the Molonglo River (lovely old railway bridge on your left). There are two warning signs (in yellow) about 'turning traffic ahead', when you see the second of these, start looking for cars parked on the right, if no cars, the clear area on the right is obvious. I rode the circuit the other day, first one way, then the other - keep an eye out for traffic as all of Sparrow was designed to be ridden in both directions.
Had a great ride today the tracks were in great condition.

Thanks again frensham.
Regards Michael