Incest anyone?

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/876197/get-over-incest-australia-deaves/?rss=yes

Interesting article I think, personally I'd never heard of GSA until just then. Pretty much the Oedipus case, but with scientific backing saying it's a mental illness.

Australians have rejected a call by Jennifer Deaves to stop demonising sexual relationships between family members and instead embrace the condition Genetic Sexual Attraction (GSA).

Deaves, who revealed last year on 60 Minutes that she shared two children with her father John, said earlier today that incest and GSA were entirely different.

Ninemsn received hundreds of responses after asking readers if they believed there was a difference.

"Incest and GSA are exactly the same thing ... sex with a blood related family member ... that's it, period," one reader said.

"To say otherwise is trying to justify a terrible wrong."

Another said: "This 'affliction' has been coined by perpetrators to try to remove their own guilt for acting in this manner."

"This is the sort of thing that happens when proper relationships between parents and children become twisted and confused."

But others showed a more compassionate side, saying they understood Deaves's plight.

"Rather than demonise these types of relationships why don't we open them up to further exploration and more understanding?," one user wrote.

"It doesn't mean endorsing the relationship but simply finding out more about them and working with couples to make sure all parties involved are healthy."

One person said they agreed GSA and incest were two completely different things.

"She isn't saying that incest is okay but rather GSA and incest are two completely different things ... with GSA being a mental illness and incest being where one family member molests another family member," the user said.

"There needs to be some research conducted into GSA and hopefully a cure and some support will happen for these GSA 'victims'."

Deaves said today that incest was a "dirty" word and most of those cases "involved grooming, a victim, a predator and there's almost always someone who has been taken advantage of."

"With GSA the parent and child are separated, they find each other later as adults and then the intense, overwhelming feelings come in ... it rips you off your feet."

Do you believe incest is different from GSA? See what ninemsn readers had to say.

Yesterday, a Melbourne doctor told the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal he felt shame and remorse after having a child with his daughter during a four year sexual relationship.

The pair had been separated for over 20 years and, after reuniting, the doctor said he felt "intimacy and closeness", The Age newspaper reported.

Deaves attacked the media for reporting the doctor's case as incest because it was "quite clearly a GSA case".

"I know words sell and as soon as you put 'incest' up people will click and ask what's this?," she said.

"But the doctor never knew his child until she was an adult, they met as adults, they had no recollection of each other — they were complete strangers."

Parents and children who suffered from GSA and who had sex were almost always too scared to ask for help because they feared being dobbed into authorities and charged with incest, she said.

Deaves said her former sexual relationship with her father John was not incest, despite them having two children, because they were separated when she was young and reunited as adults.

She said she was back living with John in South Australia with their daughter Celeste and her two children from a previous marriage.

"John said to tell you that the only quote he will give is: 'his life is complete'," she said.

A Bing search of "genetic sexual attraction" returns 544,000 results, including several links to a website run by Barbara Gonyo, an American woman Deaves said coined the term "GSA".

Ms Gonyo gave her son up for adoption when she was just 16 years old but found him 26 years later when she was 42. It was then that she was struck with GSA, she said.

Ms Gonyo's story — published on her website with the title "I Fancied My Own Son" — details several times she tried seducing her son by "flirtatiously throwing her legs over him" and "carefully positioning herself on the sofa".

The son did not return the feelings and asked his mother, now a 71-year-old grandmother, never to speak of GSA.

Deaves said it was common for one half of the couple not to return the sexual feelings, as was it normal for heterosexual fathers and their sons to fall victim to GSA.

"There are also mums and daughters who would never think about having a lesbian relationship who suddenly think they've found their soul mate," she said.

Deaves called for Australians to open their hearts to GSA and help create a solution, rather adding "to the heartache".

"[I don't want] people to say GSA is wonderful but [I want] people to accept that we need to stop families falling apart and to get more research done on GSA ... it's time to give it some recognition," she said.

"All these people are doing is loving, loving another human being they have a right to love."

Last edited:

dilstubs

Likes Dirt
Hmm

Well i would first off say this is FUCKED UP! Seriously a question to everyone here, could you possibly bear the thought of doing your Mother or Father?
Seriously fuck off you creeps.

tu plang

knob
Well i would first off say this is FUCKED UP! Seriously a question to everyone here, could you possibly bear the thought of doing your Mother or Father?
Seriously fuck off you creeps.
Obviously for most of us it seems unthinkable but as is the common trend for just about the entire population of RB these days, you've completely missed the point. They are pointing out that the key factor is that they never grew up with their parents. Your mum wiped your arse for 3-4 (or in the case of lots of people around here probably 8-9) years among other things, of course you don't want to have a sexual relationship with her.

Arete

Likes Dirt
Just to add to Tu Plang - they aren't saying that incest is good or ok or anything, just simply saying that in certain circumstances, it's not a deliberate and intentional action.

They're also trying to give it a different name to avoid the stigma, which I can see why you'd do it but an un-powered, square headed digging implement is still a spade...

Jervis

Likes Dirt
And in Austrian circles it is known as good captivity management.
:p

Obviously if they met as adults without at first knowing any relation then it is quite feasible for an attraction to form. But once finding out, surely one would be freaked the fuck out! from that point on if both parties do not promptly bail then leave society now.

Steve-O

Likes Bikes
Wow. I feel vialated. I dont care if you HAD and atraction. that relationship should intstantly change if/when you find out they are a blood relative. and if you still have feeling then move to tassie where that is socialy acceptable:p

CGR

Likes Dirt
Seems interesting that these people are insisting it’s a mental condition/problem yet make no mention of getting help for it and/or attempting to stop and try a 'normal relationship'. The relationship is one thing, but having a child is another given the potential health problems.

Wow. I feel vialated. I dont care if you HAD and atraction. that relationship should intstantly change if/when you find out they are a blood relative. and if you still have feeling then move to tassie where that is socialy acceptable:p
wow, i read that twice and still don't know what you said.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
Just to throw something else into the mix.

There was a bit on a "Geoffrey Robertson Hypothetical" a few years ago that posed a question. I can't remember the exact details but the gyst was you have a 18yold daughter who is struck down with a rare disease, without a blood(bone marrow?) transfusion in 3 years she has no hope but will die a horrible drawn out death.

Catch is she has an extremely rare blood type. while you don't have that blood type yourself she got the gene from your side. Now if you and your wife have another kid there's a 1/16(?) chance of having another kid with that blood type however if there is a 1 in 2 chance of getting a kid with that blood type if the child was concieved by you and you daughter...

Remeber there is now sex involved, it's an sperm donor thingie, but technically it's still classed as incest..... Would you do it if it was the only chance of saving your daughter?

Arete

Likes Dirt
Just to throw something else into the mix.

There was a bit on a "Geoffrey Robertson Hypothetical" a few years ago that posed a question. I can't remember the exact details but the gyst was you have a 18yold daughter who is struck down with a rare disease, without a blood(bone marrow?) transfusion in 3 years she has no hope but will die a horrible drawn out death.

Catch is she has an extremely rare blood type. while you don't have that blood type yourself she got the gene from your side. Now if you and your wife have another kid there's a 1/16(?) chance of having another kid with that blood type however if there is a 1 in 2 chance of getting a kid with that blood type if the child was concieved by you and you daughter...

Remeber there is now sex involved, it's an sperm donor thingie, but technically it's still classed as incest..... Would you do it if it was the only chance of saving your daughter?
Personally, no.

Given the very high probability of your inbred second child having a congenital disease, you'd be risking screwing up 2 lives instead of just one.