Increase fork travel

8738br

Likes Bikes
I have a 2013 Rockshox Revelation 29er in 120mm. Is it possible to increase the travel in this fork?

DJR

Likes Dirt
You might be able to swap in a new air spring to make it 140mm, maybe get in touch with a suspension shop e.g. nsdynamics or tekin to find out for sure.

They definitely sell a 29er 140mm version of the revelation rct3 so it is probably just an air spring

mitchy_

Llama calmer
whoops.... for some reason thought it said sid, not revs. yes you might be able to change them as above. :yield:

moorey

call me Mia
whoops.... for some reason thought it said sid, not revs. yes you might be able to change them as above. :yield:
I was thinking that...but assumed you knew more:whistle:
On a side note, I'm looking at 26" 2015 RTC3 revs. They are 140mm standard. They should (unlike late model Lyriks), be able to be raised to 150mm or lowered to 130 with internal spacers?

8738br

Likes Bikes
no worries, spoke to the bloke in the shop i bought it from and he thinks the upper shaft is shorter in the 120mm version of these so I wouldn't be able to just simply swap out the air spring assembly.

I was hoping it would be something simple like that or removing a spacer as the fork has a 20mm axle and I dont want to do wheel rebuild also as most forks seem to be 15mm now

Cheers

DJR

Likes Dirt
no worries, spoke to the bloke in the shop i bought it from and he thinks the upper shaft is shorter in the 120mm version of these so I wouldn't be able to just simply swap out the air spring assembly.

I was hoping it would be something simple like that or removing a spacer as the fork has a 20mm axle and I dont want to do wheel rebuild also as most forks seem to be 15mm now

Cheers
The service manual just talks about a new air spring nothing about the uppers changing, you could check the spare parts manual and see if there is different uppers for different travel. Shame it's not just a spacer, new pikes are similar you have to change the air piston rod.

8738br

Likes Bikes
Looks like a goer from the spares list. No mention of travel in reference to the uppers just what type of air spring they support

thanks DJR

Nick_M2r

Likes Dirt
I was thinking that...but assumed you knew more:whistle:
On a side note, I'm looking at 26" 2015 RTC3 revs. They are 140mm standard. They should (unlike late model Lyriks), be able to be raised to 150mm or lowered to 130 with internal spacers?
Not sure this can be done with the new model revelations

They changed the design of the solo air spring and there is a dimple on the inside of the stanchion which is supposed to self regulate the negative chamber pressure as the fork cycles. Putting a spacer in will muck up this system.
You can change the travel, but it will require a new air spring (or so the rockshox documentation leads me to believe, but I'm pretty certain this is the way it goes)

Also, Moorey where have you seen the new 2015 Revelations advertised? Any updates from the 2014? (Please tell me they have put a charger damper in there!)

moorey

call me Mia
Not sure this can be done with the new model revelations

They changed the design of the solo air spring and there is a dimple on the inside of the stanchion which is supposed to self regulate the negative chamber pressure as the fork cycles. Putting a spacer in will muck up this system.
You can change the travel, but it will require a new air spring (or so the rockshox documentation leads me to believe, but I'm pretty certain this is the way it goes)

Also, Moorey where have you seen the new 2015 Revelations advertised? Any updates from the 2014? (Please tell me they have put a charger damper in there!)
Motion control, not charger in ones I've seen.
These are the 150 tapered. I've been looking at the 140mm straight.
http://www.bike24.com/1.php?product...u=1000,2,121;backlink=9|2||1000,2,121||||||||

Nick_M2r

Likes Dirt
Little over all the black. I've opted for white pikes to buck the trend :woot:
Still find it funny how marzocchi had the white/black or black on black forks for years, they change to the gold stanchions while others are switching to black

PhillipJ

Likes Bikes
Nope, you need a whole new air spring assembly. I got so sick of trying to get a bike shop to swap the 140mm spring from a 27.5" Rev into the 26" chassis (which were all at 150mm) that I gave up and bought X-Fusion instead. The X-Fusion can be lowered and you don't even need spacers, there are holes drilled in the shaft and a pin that sets the travel.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
If it's dual air then changing travel is a simple matter with adding of removing "all travel" spacers. If it's solo air then you need a new air spring assembly for the particular travel. Assemblies are around $100 from the US if you shop around.

moorey

call me Mia
If it's dual air then changing travel is a simple matter with adding of removing "all travel" spacers. If it's solo air then you need a new air spring assembly for the particular travel. Assemblies are around $100 from the US if you shop around.
Ah, yes, solo air dammit. Thanks Georg. 140mm would be perfect for either the patriot or chumba if I went ahead, but it would have been nice to have the option of more or less. All 4 of my revs are dual air. Just another reason to love them.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
As a side note, on the 150mm Pikes and Revs you can cut down the air spring by around 10mm. So if you want to go from 150mm to 140mm it is possible to cut 10mm off the end of the air spring. I think the threaded hole is deep enough that you don't even have to tap the hole deeper. If I recall correctly, Rod @ Crankin has done this.