Increasing 12 speed durability - 9 speed conversion??

brendonj

Likes Dirt
Ok - i am flying a kite here. I really want to increase the durability of my 11 and 12 speed drivetrain.

Like the range, but happy to sacrifice closeness of gear ratios - actually would prefer increased gaps for one of my bikes. thinking 8 or 9 speed.

I need to keep the derailleur for the gearing range, but need to solve the following:

1. Shifter that works with a SRAM or Shimano 12 speed derailleur but gears it back to 8 or 9.

2. Spacing through the derailleur cage - should be solvable manually

3. Narrow wide chain wheel for 8 or 9 speed chain. Do these exist or will i have to rely on a chain guide?

4. The big one - Cassette & Driver - can of worms here between drivers and how to assemble and gear changing smoothness. Do i need to go back from an XD or microspline driver to HG?
Obviously would be better if the OEM’s made this.

Any ideas, let me know.
If you think i am mad thats ok too.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Wouldn't it be easier and less headache to just buy the wide range 9 speed Box kit...

Smiker

Likes Dirt
Where's the durability concern? I've been on Shimano 12-speed since mid 2019 and found the durability way better than 10 and 11 speed gear. Maybe I'm riding differently than before.

Another option if you want to pursue this is find the SRAM Eagle eMTB gear. 8sp 10-50, single click shifter. The cassette was made of tool grade steel.

brendonj

Likes Dirt
Both good suggestions. My problem is wear on the small cogs in the cassette.
Why is it a problem - it’s complicated- but i do a lot of stand up pedalling at low cadence for a particular type of exercise. Otherwise, yes, 12 speed is pretty darn good.

Last edited:

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Microshift Advent X is your friend. 11-48 steel Cassette that is cheeeaaappp. Compatible with Shimano 10 speed.

If you get a 10 speed Xt cassette the smaller cogs are actually available individually. But they top out at 11-36 so you would need 2x at the front.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

brendonj

Likes Dirt
38T chain ring?
Thats and interesting idea. It will help a bit. I am at 36 already on one bike. It will mess up the antisquat a bit on my other bike. I could design my next frame for 38. But other people won’t have that option.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Microshift or Box. I've been there with trying to mix/match different speeds (though mainly 12sp derailleurs with 11sp cassette/shifter), and it's honestly worth just buying a groupset that's already designed to work with each other.