Incremental "max" testing

dunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi,

Does anyone know of a place to have incremental testing done in Perth. I had these done regularly before moving here and would like to continue.

Something like this:

Incremental (or "Max") Test
For people who already have a good level of fitness and/or are more serious about their training (recreational athletes up to elite level athletes), an incremental or stepped test to exhaustion is available (this is also sometimes referred to as a "max test").

In the incremental test, the workload is gradually increased in steps until the athlete is unable to continue. During each workload, heart rate, blood lactate accumulation, and power output is measured and recorded

At the conclusion of the test, this information is analysed and a report is produced summarising the results from the test (heart rate response and lactate accumulation for different workloads, maximum heart rate, lactate and anaerobic threshold). Most importantly, the report also outlines the heart rate zones that the athlete should target for different types of training in order to maximise performance.

It is recommended that the test be repeated at least 4 times a year. As your fitness level changes, so do your ideal training zones.

The follow-up tests are utilised to track progress in fitness as well as to design new training zones or amend the existing ones, as need be. The results can also be used to assess the overall effectiveness of the athlete's training program and to assist in planning the annual training program and racing season.

The information provided by the tests is very useful for athletes of all levels - from the recreational to elite. Training at the incorrect intensity (heart rate or power output) is ineffective and can even be harmful.

The basic and the "max" test have an approximate duration of 1 hour and 30 minutes.

'Ross

Eats Squid
Is there an institute of sport or something similar near you? My mate did that for footy, on his own accord, not because the club told him to...It was free I think, and he reckons it was really worth it. I think you just basically run for ages on a treadmill with some thing in your mouth and some thing blocking your nose, and they keep pushing until you can do no more.

Also, I saw on 'The Shack' once (worst program ever) but the guy went to AIS and they did a bunch of interesting tests, the running one I described, some type of strength testing, and an absolute power test on a track/excercise bike. Id reccomend some form of institute of sport.

Did you get those powertap hubs? My dream measuring device is a speedo with cadence measurement haha, I think Im getting one soon.

dunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I used to get them doen in MAnly by a guy named Radek Valenta at Zoom in Zones, done on a stationary bike connected to computer to control resistance with a power meter etc - kind of like the Cyclops one, but better.

I haven't got a powertap yet - waiting to come to Sydney in a few weeks and still trying to decide on SRM, Powertap, and maybe the Quranq (sp?)......

slip

Beefcake...BEEFCAKE!!!
Sounds like an MVO2 test? (max vol oxygen)

Physio, hospital, uni, doctor - depending on the facility. I know of one place in Brisbane that bulk bills it.

ScottD

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There not a Vo2 max test. There also called a step up test. Created by the Devil, especially when Radek is running them. After I did one it killed me for a few days.

You start at a prescribed wattage and it goes up at set increments. Hurts like hell.