Indestructible Aluminium Rim Set ?

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Down hill racing is a whole different ball game, people often think they use the best rims but use the most economical rim, they just cut the spokes and throw the rims away after they're done. They also run different spoke tensions to take the roughness out of the trail depending on where they race. They don't build rims to last years, they built them to last races.
Yep but using it as an example to the OP that there's no such thing as an indestructible wheel if you're not going to be selective with lines or compromise on tyre pressures etc.

I'm not a gravity rider but even XC/trail riders need to balance their skill and their appetite for throwing $ at their hobby
One of the big considerations for me in a marathon event is that I can't go flat out on all descents/tech sections when I'm racing for 4-24hrs at a time.
Even (when I was doing big hrs) in training, I picked battles with equipment because as a privateer, I couldn't afford to replace things all the time (hell if I was servicing my suspension to spec, I would have been rebuilding my fork every 2 weeks at one point).

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Down hill racing is a whole different ball game, people often think they use the best rims possible, but they use the most economical rim, they just cut the spokes and throw the rims away after they're done. They also run different spoke tensions to take the roughness out of the trail depending on where they race. They don't build rims to last years, they built them to last races.
I hear what you're saying and I'm sure that's true but it just reminded me - didn't Bernard Kerr run a set of Reynold Carbon wheel for a whole season once?

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I hear what you're saying and I'm sure that's true but it just reminded me - didn't Bernard Kerr run a set of Reynold Carbon wheel for a whole season once?
Yep. Some of the other Pivot guys did the whole EWS season too.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Flow-Rider

Burner
Don't know, there are a few podcasts around with team managers and mechanics at the elite end of the racing saying that they get X amount of sponsored rims per season, if they run out they need to get more out of their own pocket, some riders smash rims up more frequently than others. You even hear of riders from low budget teams recycling the rims that have been thrown out by the top tier teams. There would be some trails that would eat rims faster than others.

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
Yep but using it as an example to the OP that there's no such thing as an indestructible wheel if you're not going to be selective with lines or compromise on tyre pressures etc.

I'm not a gravity rider but even XC/trail riders need to balance their skill and their appetite for throwing $ at their hobby
One of the big considerations for me in a marathon event is that I can't go flat out on all descents/tech sections when I'm racing for 4-24hrs at a time.
Even (when I was doing big hrs) in training, I picked battles with equipment because as a privateer, I couldn't afford to replace things all the time (hell if I was servicing my suspension to spec, I would have been rebuilding my fork every 2 weeks at one point).
You ride more conservatively like the rest of us without endless bank accounts or sponsors ;).

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
You guys are all running crazy low psi! The pump at the servo goes to 60psi for a reason!!!

If your tyre-pressure checking technique involves bumping the valve several times while attempting to connect the gauge, then letting out a long burst of air and still only getting the gauge half-on on the third attempt - sure.

Is there a tutorial for this technique on you tube?