Info on Trails in Nerang state Forest and what are the Best Runs and How to Find Them

Golf Pro

Likes Dirt
Hi Guys
It would be great if any members could add some info regarding Trails and Runs at the state forest and how to find them.
We all know The State Forest is very big. I have been there twice and I am amazed at the size of the place.
Here is some info but does not tell anything about finding the runs.
http://www.mtbdirt.com.au/gold-coast-trails/view/trail/10
Also here is a map of the main trails
http://www.mtbdirt.com.au/file/nerang_state_forest_map_0_869.jpg

Any more info would be great like the best place to park your cars, and best entrance to use.
Is there a area that is safer for taking the younger kids for a XC ride without killing themselfs.
I was told by Tom from Nerang Directions that took me to the Downhill run.
Directions:
To get there you Follow the Beaudesert-Nerang road west towards Beaudesert and turn Right just after the Fire station on Billabirra Cres then at the Roundabout turn Right onto Lawnhill Drive then left onto Byfield Court then Right onto Brookfield Ct, Drive down to the bottom of the hill and park on the left hand side where there is a green gate on both sides of the road. It is between two houses. Follow that trail on the left side west until you get to a wider fire trail and turn left and go another 100 metres and you will see a trail to the right. That is the bottom of the Downhill run. Follow that up to the top and have fun.
I have rode this twice now but at the bottom of that run it is very undurelating and much to hard for my son to ride the XC trails around that area.
Is it much easier around the velodrome?
It would be fantastic if some of the members that know the trails could add to this.
Cheers
Addam

im dirty

Squid
Any info on tracks yet?

Im new to nerang forest as well, Have you got any info from any other people yet. If you have can you let me know of any links or websites please.

Golf Pro

Likes Dirt
Well if your keen us newbies can catch up for a ride together and we can all get lost together lol
I have about five guys keen for a ride so send me a pm with your detail and one of the guys has rode most of the trails is going to show us around if your keen
Regards
Addam

krtbrd

Squid
billibarra

mate prob not best idea to post billabarra direction on here, locals in that estate arn't hugely keen on riders in there. and they def wont be happy having heaps of riders parking up and down the street

Golf Pro

Likes Dirt
Agree mate with what you are saying,
I use to live in Parkwood near the Tavern and I would have many people parking in my driveway every time there a Music Event on there.
The reason I added the enter points are because it is a public street, and there are public enter points on all the roads around the area. The differents is most of those people at Parkwood Events did not care who they pissed off and us riders do care about upsetting the public because we want to use the places again and again.
The Nerang state forest is open to the public and no being a secret spot, has no direct main entrance just lots of seperate public entrances and lots on back streets entrances. Two guys I spoke with on billabarra both ride and live on the street and I asked them where was the best place to park and this is where they showed me.
Also the entrance I posted has no house on either side of the entrance and you could park 5 cars on each side with out parking infront of a house. Also after I finished my last ride there went for a drive around many streets around the area and was amazed at just how many entraces there are on streets all around the Forest, billabarra is just one of many it is just close to the downhill run.
I posted this thread to help others find there way around not to piss people off.
Can you suggest a entry point for others to use because I would love to add it to this thread.
Thanks
Addam

G'day Golf Pro and others,

I'd always ignored Nerang, having seen that map, I assumed the whole place was firetrails, which don't interest me all that much. A mate of mine and I finally decided to give if a go, and I couldn't have been more wrong...! Heaps of singletrack! As a general rule of thumb. for every fire road you see on that map, there is a singletrack snaking along side it 50m into the bush.

This is the rough route we took. I'll try and explain in terms of landmarks on that map.
First we did the mtb loop near the velodrome which is sign posted. Then we went up, I think it's casuarina grove track, a really steep rocky singletrack that finishes at the 'Three Hills Junction'. From there, at the three hills junction, you'll see a singletrack off to the left. This is a sweet track that winds its way along the steep hillside and crosses the 'rollercoaster'. It keeps going for quite a while and pops out on the fire road it's following everynow and then.
There are two semi-downhill tracks that start nearish to the 'top of wimps' and head south east to the edge of the park near where it says 'Mooringin creek' or whatever is says on that map.
We then did a large loop that starts near the 'top of wimps' and follows the whole of the 'big loop' on the inside of it in a clockwise direction. This brought us back to the 'Quarry' track near 'bee hive number 5'. This is entirely on singletrack mind you, we never once rode on fire roads for more than 50m apart from crossing them. We then made our way back to the 'Three hills junction' and down 'casuarina grove track'.

There are no official maps of the place I don't think because I'm not sure it's officially sanctioned. There are no signs forbidding it though. Well worth it, and really looking forward to getting back there for some more exploration. If the trend of singletrack km for every fireroad km, then this place might well be the biggest mtb playground in sth east qld.

Tim

Last edited:

DirtFix

Likes Dirt
SWEEET! This is exactly what i have been looking for. I heard there was some good riding here and i have just got a new bike after about 5 years away from the sport! Always keen for weekend spins so if anyone wants to head out i am keen for this Sunday! PM me and we can exchange details!

Golf Pro

Likes Dirt
Hi Guys
Yesterday I went out on my own and started at the velodrome entrance near the Scout hall and did the short Single trail that starts between the Scout hall and the velodrome. Great short trail with fun small rocky climbs and log jumps. Lots of Bridge crossings and slow to medium speed run.
Today I will take some pictures of the runs I am doing,
I am going out today with the crew from Nerang mountain Bike Centre. Mark was saying this is a great way to learn the trails.
So we are going out at 2.30 PM and only $5.00 includes insurance. HamishS who is a member here myself and a mate Terry are joining up with the guys from the shop.
I will give you a heads up on what trails I learnt about.
If any one is keen to join me today please do,I know it is late notice but if you have a few hours to spare come along.
We are meeting at the shop in Nerang then heading out for a ride.
Also
Next Saturday morning 2nd of April I am Trying to get a bunch together for a bit of XC at 8.00am meeting at the Velodrome.
If interested PM your Name and Number.
Cheers
Addam

Last edited:

DirtFix

Likes Dirt
My ride plans got cancelled due to my riding partner having some bad luck and i dont much like going alone, ya never know what can happen. Is anyone keen for a quick run out at Nerang anytime today?

Golf Pro

Likes Dirt
Trails I rode there Saturday 26/03/11

Hi Guys
I went out with about 20 plus guys and gals from the Nerang Shop Yesterday, it was fantastic fun. We broke up into two groups Advanced Fitness Group and New Trail Group. Myself and Terry went with Peters Group (New Trail Group) and HamishS went off with the Advanced team.
We did about 8 plus KM of riding, man I was knacked LOL.
We started near the Scout hall (Velodrome) entrance and headed off to do the Casarina Reverse trail first which is just over the Fence and to the right.
Its about 2 km long and has lots of smaller ups and downs with bridges and log jumps. Its a great trail for the beginner of all ages. We did it in reverse which starts from the right of the gate.
At the end of that trail we got to a junction with 3 trails, we took the middle trail that is called Bumbs and Boobs (I liked that trail Ha Ha) Really nice flowing trail and at the base of the trail there is a sign 860m but Peter who was our guide said it is much more than 1110 m. That trail lead us all down to the top and bottom of the first part of 3 hills and had some really fun downhill sections with a few good small jumps. at the base we ended up near the start of casarina again but then headed up to the right on the fire trail along the right side of the houses. This was a very hard uphill climb up 3 hills fire trail which was about 1.5 km to the top. At the top we turned left at a Green pole and then about 20 m on the right is a great short trail that is fast up and down trail (where I had a Big stack) I had the pleasure of meeting a tree and a downed log. To be honest It was a soft landing and thick grass meet me after the tree and log meet my head and bike.I think this trail is called Goblins.
At the end of that trail we grossed over to a used to be secret trail called Pete's. Peter our guide who was 60 plus years young and fitter than a UFC fighter made this trail many years ago and told us all about how he built it. This was by far my favourite trail and was long and fast downhill with not to much pedaling. Lots of larger jumps but easy to do even on a hardtail as Terry found out. At the base of this trail we stopped at the junction and followed the Fire trail down that we went up on to the bottom. This meet up agin at the Casarina Trail junction again.
Peter said he had done 8 plus km and it was 2 hour of fun. Terry and myself said our goodbyes as I was going out for dinner and did not want to piss off the wife so I could make it next week. The guys where continuing on for a further 30min ride.
All in all this was the best $5.00 I have ever spent and would like to thank Peter our Guide for his fantastic journey and I now know of 5 trails, next week we are going to do more trails and I will be there like a Stallion on Heat.
Oh I took lots of pictures but broke my iphone when I hit the tree as I found out when I got home. I am going to drop it in to see if I can fix it on Monday.
Anyone keen on next saturday let me know.
Cheers
Addam

DirtFix

Likes Dirt
My mate and i ended up heading out there today as well at around lunch time. We rode the casurina trail and the bonus 800m loop then hit the fire trail up the hill untill we had enough climbing and headed in to the right where we found what looked like 2 green ammo boxes thats where we found a trail head and started decending. I loved the decent but unfortunatelly was a little tapped out from the climb to enjoy it fully, managed to hang onto the old hardtail for the ride down though and called it a day. Definatelly keen to get back out there and learn some more of the trails.

Golf Pro

Likes Dirt
Hi Dirtfix
If you go to the entrance of the casarina trail fence and instead of jumping over the gate go up the road racing track up the hill and about 400 meters and jump the fence up the hill to the right side and there is a great single track smooth downhill there with no pedaling.

DirtFix

Likes Dirt
Yeah thanks for that, i think thats the bottom section of the single track we rode down from the top. Really rocky and rough up the top with good switch backs but then it smoothed out down the bottom. Bit of a grind to get up the top but worth it if ya ask me. Will try and get out with you on Saturday. Will let you know by Friday arvo. Cheers,
Andy. :cool:

glorydays

Likes Dirt
having good trail locations would be awesome. myself and my mate have recently started riding nerang ourselves but due to the sheer size of the place struggle to find stuff. where are the jumps that are on youtube? will most likely be there again around 3 to 330 friday afternoon if anyone wants to show us around?

DirtFix

Likes Dirt
I dunno about showing you around as i have only been there the once so far but would be happy to explore if ya dont mind waiting for me on the climbs. (Im a bit older, fatter and rustier than i used to be) I still manage to decend reasonably as the skill is there, just not the fitness. Might see if i can get out early on Friday. PM sent

goose15482

Likes Dirt
Show me where...

Hi, Would anyone be keen to show me where the "secret trail called Pete's" is located (written about above)??? Me and the boys usually start at the velodrome and am keen to find new tracks. I'm free most Sundays :)...including today.

Last edited:

krtbrd

Squid
Wimps

Rode out at wimps on Saturday, i noticed that someone has made huge modifications to the trail including some really stupidly placed DJ jumps on a tech trail without putting in B lines. does anyone know who has made these modifications.

DirtFix

Likes Dirt
I dont know but this is precicely the kind of thing that got my favorite DH track closed down permanently back home. :mad:

krtbrd

Squid
its fucking stupid man, you come through bit of a blind shoot then BAM dirty big booter right in front of you