Injured & Training alternatives.

GrooveJet

Likes Bikes
I was hit by a car whilst riding about 2 weeks ago and have fractured my scaphoid (small bone near wrist). I still have another 5 weeks before I get the plaster off :mad:

Now the road rash has healed I am looking at ways to keep my fitness up. So, was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how I might do this? Ive been going to the gym and running on the treadmills but it is deadly boring not to mention the rather unpleasant sweaty cast on my arm and the pain.

Any ideas greatly appreciated! :)

jo_

Squid
I hear the scaphoid is a problematic little bone to heal so be careful!

I broke my elbow (full arm cast at 45 degs) a few years ago. I had a fibreglass cast which was a million times better than the plaster one - lighter and better ventilated. I used a wind trainer to try and keep my fitness up - riding with the doors open in winter to try to keep cooler. My arm did get sweaty, but I used to stick my arm out the car window to dry it out afterwards - the fibreglass was porous. It wasnt too bad. I'm told watching dvds while you ride on the trainer helps with the boredom - and for me at the time I had nothing else I could do which also helped me stick out the trainer. Intervals add interest.

I couldnt run, the cast was too abrasive, awkward, and heavy. So I did heaps of walks, hillclimbing walks outdoors to new places to get the pulse up.

Hope that helps you with some ideas.

Lizardskin

Likes Dirt
Hey, that sounds painful!

I did my schapoid a few years ago too and Im not the type of person who can sit still for very long so it was annoying. But I was greatful that it wasnt a worse injury (some people are still not recovered for years or for life). :(

Yeah I did start going to spin classes at the gym which made training a bit more interesting. At least someone is telling you to ride and there is music.

I started riding on road again with the cast on when I had about 1 week to go. It was hard to hold on, but at least I was on the bike in fresh air again! whoohoo. :)

But then when the cast came off, it was still very sore and weak so I was tentative riding with it again.

Grab a six six one wrist guard to wear when it comes off, they are about $30 and well worth it.
http://www.sixsixone.com/Catalog_661Bike.aspx?id=0655f248-c5a0-4a75-b854-863ce0b3473c&product=57066aac-9ed0-4c77-87ca-5059bb4def96
http://www.sixsixone.com/Catalog_66...&product=57066aac-9ed0-4c77-87ca-5059bb4def96

GrooveJet

Likes Bikes
Yeah I've been doing spin classes at the gym, you should see the funny looks I get 'riding' with a bright orange cast on :D then after the class I stand in front of the fan for 10 mins in a very lame attempt to 'dry' my revolting sweaty cast :rolleyes:

That's a great tip on the wrist guard! I have already noticed my bicep withering away :( Are wrist guards available at any aus online shops that you know of?

I'm not allowed to ride with the cast on :mad: My partner is a dr & would kill me! haha I think its worth the risk though :p

Tazed

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd second getting on t a trainer. If you have a compatible rim (braking surface), Minoura and a few others do a Rim Drive trainer that runs off the rim rather than tyres. Great for bikes with knobby MTB tyres... I have one, but can't use it now as my Mavic wheelset has not suitable surface. But they're great to sit on and spin up and keep some activity.

Lizardskin

Likes Dirt
:(
Yeah I've been doing spin classes at the gym, you should see the funny looks I get 'riding' with a bright orange cast on :D then after the class I stand in front of the fan for 10 mins in a very lame attempt to 'dry' my revolting sweaty cast :rolleyes:

That's a great tip on the wrist guard! I have already noticed my bicep withering away :( Are wrist guards available at any aus online shops that you know of?

I'm not allowed to ride with the cast on :mad: My partner is a dr & would kill me! haha I think its worth the risk though :p
hey
After giving my advice, on sun i also broke my scaphiod! :mad: left wrist this time, and im not happy. :(

GrooveJet

Likes Bikes
oh no!!! That sux!! :( Hope you have a speedy recovery!!

I got my plaster off yesterday but have to wear a brace for another 2 weeks. My hand looks dead & is so wasted away I can see the bones in my wrist & hand. Have already started some hand exercises & have organised a weekend ride hehehehe :D dont tell the hand therapist!

Still hunting for a 661 wrist wrap that I can try on before I buy tho :(

Lizardskin

Likes Dirt
I just orded a 661 left wrist guard, $30 from local bike shop. Im keen to get back on the bike but its a bit painful right now....

If you are going to be riding id recommend just ordering a small (hey its withered away it must be small..:)) without trying one on. Its worth it and will give exta support and its tailored for riding.

Lizardskin

Likes Dirt
oh no!!! That sux!! :( Hope you have a speedy recovery!!

I got my plaster off yesterday but have to wear a brace for another 2 weeks. My hand looks dead & is so wasted away I can see the bones in my wrist & hand. Have already started some hand exercises & have organised a weekend ride hehehehe :D dont tell the hand therapist!

Still hunting for a 661 wrist wrap that I can try on before I buy tho :(
Hey Groovejet, hows your wrist these days? All healed?

markfak

Likes Dirt
Don't laugh but have you thought about pilates.
If you find yourself a decent place, You'll be able to work all your core muscles and probably improve your Aerobic ability and posture.

Anyone who thinks this stuff is for chicks. Go to a proper Pilates studio and call me two days after your first session! I double dare you!!!!

GrooveJet

Likes Bikes
My wrist is pretty good now. I get the odd ache, but its nothing much. Still have a nice piece of gravel in my hand as a reminder of the jerk who hit me.
All in all, I am so unbelievably lucky!! :D

How's your wrist going?