Installing a race on new forks.

iFinch

Likes Bikes
Hey all,

Im trying to install the race from my old forks onto my new ones, the problem is that im about 3cms from the bottom of the steerer tube and to get it to move any further im going to have to belt the f#%k out of it (something which I dont really want to subject my new rebas).

Im going off this website, but im not sure if point 4. "slam the race into place" is the words of a true bike mechanic, or a bike butcher :confused:

http://www.bicycling.com/article/1,6...3774-1,00.html

Has anyone got any tips?

Cedel

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If it really won't go down using your hands, take it to your LBS, there is a special tool for it. They shouldn't charge you, very simple task.

Rhys_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Never had one that's gone on using only hands?:confused: I use an old 888 stanchion, fits over the steerer tube and against the race nicely, then just hit it, hard. A bit of grease helps as well.

MJS

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've never had one that has gone into place using only my hands... Use a rubber mallet and tap it into place. Work your way around the race, it may take a bit of bashing, but as long as you use a rubber mallet you'll do no damage. Make sure it is sitting tight against the crown of your forks.

eyes

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep ...

Hey mate

There is a tool known as a Crown Race Setting tool that is used for this job.

You can sought of make one yourself with a bit of steel pipe just larger than your steerer tube if you are desparate. Use this as a slide hammer, but this may damage your race.

The rubber mallet probably won't work, and although it won't ding or dint the race, it may warp is none-the-less and make it useless.

Best bet is to take it to LBS - they will have it on it 20 seconds.

Regards

Eyes

zebde

Likes Bikes
If you can't get it any further than 3cm from the crown, you may need to get it machined. Like Cedel said, your LBS can do this.

I installed mine using a piece of PVC tube with an inner diameter a little more than the steerer tube, cut to size. The difference was my race sat only about 1cm from the crown. You could give that a go, the worst you can do is get the race stuck and carefully smack it back out with a rubber mallet.

Using the PVC gives you an equal amount of force on all sides of the race. If not, you risk unevenly seating it or doing damage to the race by warping it. If you are going to use the PVC method, make sure you use a rubber mallet. I can't stress it enough. If you use a hammer, you will shatter the PVC. To be on the safe side, use some eye protection too. Use a block of wood as a buffer between the PVC and the mallet too.

Another benefit of the PVC over using steel pipe is it is less likely to damage the race because it is not as dense.

Hope that helps. If you need further clarification, just PM me.

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I put mine on using a press for my new fox40 crowns/steerer as it was extremely hard to get on.. but because there obviously triple clamps i was able to take the crown off to do this.

Take it to your LBS, as they do it all day everyday.. and probably wont even charge you.

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Post a closeup of the race please.
Looks like a top dust seal actually :confused: