insurance

Topperharley

Likes Dirt
I know there are afew threads on this but i couldn't dig up the answer to this question;

I'm off to Europe for 3 and a bit months in July and wanted to insure my bike(s) total rrp would be $9000. Velosure will only insure for 90 days abroad, and the policy must start and end in Australia, which means i can't take them, allow the Euro cover to run out and just risk the flight home.

The 2 reasons i'd like to insure them are to cover the flight(s), dodgy baggage handling, or even worse. Also against theft in that dodgy 3rd world country France (pretty common these days unfortunately).

Anybody know of decent, not ridiculously priced insurance that covers you abroad for more than 90 days?

Topperharley

Likes Dirt
Any ideas on this one? Been banging my head on the phone, Google and every mtb chat room going.

would really appreciate any help from, well, anybody!

Dene Dweller

Likes Dirt
Have you tried going through an insurance broker, as they should be able to find you something once you give them your requirements?

Last edited:

Topperharley

Likes Dirt
Have you tried going through an insurance broker, as they should be able to find you something once you give them your requirements?
tried a couple, to be honest i think it depends on who you speak to, as many aren't particularly able to think outside of the box!

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I'm part ways certain your travel insurance covers all of your luggage doesn't it?

GDonehue

Likes Dirt
I that's been a while since i worked for them, but try Swann. I used to run their cyclesmart policy and at least back then it did not have a clause regarding international travel.

Last edited:

Topperharley

Likes Dirt
I that's been a while since i worked for them, but try Swann. I used to run their cyclesmart policy and at least back then it did not have a clause regarding international travel.
Thanks for the advice, though they no longer insure bikes outside of Aus.

Best i've come up with is on my Credit Card insurance through Chubb, who will pay $2000 per bike for damages and theft. I guess i'll have to run with that.

By the way, premium travel insurance with several companies will cover it, but the small print makes it kinda unviable (must be locked in a bomb proof bunker at all times) and will alos cost $1000 plus for full cover. FYI for anyone travelling overseas for longer than 100 days.

Larks

Squid
I used southern cross travel insurance when I went to south america for 6 months. Didn't take bike but took several thousands worth of camera equipment. You can specify different items up to a max of 10000 per item of 15000 per policy.

They were cheap and easy to deal with. Plenty of good reviews on line. I was lucky that I didn't have to make a claim but from all reports they seem good.

Hope this helps,

James

Topperharley

Likes Dirt
I used southern cross travel insurance when I went to south america for 6 months. Didn't take bike but took several thousands worth of camera equipment. You can specify different items up to a max of 10000 per item of 15000 per policy.

They were cheap and easy to deal with. Plenty of good reviews on line. I was lucky that I didn't have to make a claim but from all reports they seem good.

Hope this helps,

James
You sir, are a f$$cking legend! So easy, no idea why i couldn't find them ages ago when i was looking, $414 for both bikes. Again, no claim made yet, but that was very very easy!

Brownster

Likes Dirt
I have just changed to YOUI and they cover bikes abroad and at a very cheap price.
Have both my roadie and MTB insured for $18000 + contents for around $65 per month.

Allows up to 45 days abroad, whilst riding and in transit etc. The usual stuff. I changed from NRMA as they only covered during transit and for theft but not whilst
riding.....