Intense Carbine29 '15 build complete, pics page 7!

rtd

Likes Dirt
I am waiting on pricing of 36 Talas & Lyrik Dual Pos, but my small research on the net had a difference of about $400-$500 with the Lyrik being cheaper.. I like Fox, but not that much haha
Have you considered DVO? Think that's what I'd be looking at if I were building a bike atm, they look the goods. I know they're meant to be heavier, but meh.

ScooterXC

Likes Dirt
Have you considered DVO? Think that's what I'd be looking at if I were building a bike atm, they look the goods. I know they're meant to be heavier, but meh.
I didn't realise they were travel adjustable! Could be an option and just from a quick look at they're website I don't think they weigh nearly any more than a Lyrik or Talas
Tempting, just definitely not getting the green ones aha

iUDEX_nCr

Likes Dirt
I looked into doing XTR race levers to Saint or Zee last year, full Graves spec. It was technically possible but couldn't find any in depth info on the parts required (small parts, banjos etc) so I didn't bother
Saint levers feel pretty good anyway
I'm running the M9000 levers on Saint, just use the Saint hose and works fine, no additional parts. On fast and long DH runs, I've found no fade. It's on the longer -16deg fireroad section on Delatite River, going 60km/hr+ that I found the rear pumping up but without any loss in power. But that's more of a bleed issue... at the bottom I could smell my brakes roasting.

Mrlinderman

Likes Dirt
Looks like a killer build.. i'm tempted as to nab your turner but really wanna do a build.

Last edited:

ScooterXC

Likes Dirt
Minor update, because I'm bored and receiving parts is the most exciting thing during the build process.
BB & headset arrived last week, installed very easily.
Forks are not far off, went for new Lyriks, 160/130mm dual position, once they arrive I can start playing with stem length and bar setup as I have wheels & old seat post that will fit, and I already owned the XX1 groupo before starting the build, so I can pedal around brakeless! Yay!
Also bought a OneUp chainguide, these things are sick, I've been waiting for it to be available since the press release

Lastly for this post, considering an Absolute Black oval chainring, will be setting my dads Turner Czar up with one (& XT 1x11) soon to try before I buy, anyones experience with these would be greatly appreciated

ScooterXC

Likes Dirt
Build it! Build it NOW!!!
I'm impatient. :^(
So am I but I don't have money to finish it just yet.
I have everything on its way apart from rims & stem..
Rims + wheel build are going to be expensive but my aim is to have the bike ready & ridden a week out from Falls Creek Gravity Enduro (20th Feb)
Also need a car and phone before then.. $$$$$$

ScooterXC

Likes Dirt
Thanks guys :)
Also got 2x Ardents 2.4 (trail riding) & 2x High Roller II 2.3 (Enduro race) tyres
The Dual Pos is really cool, I think it'll really widen the ability of this bike to be ridden 'daily' and also destroy the D's with the adjustable rear end as well

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So am I but I don't have money to finish it just yet.
I have everything on its way apart from rims & stem..
Rims + wheel build are going to be expensive but my aim is to have the bike ready & ridden a week out from Falls Creek Gravity Enduro (20th Feb)
Also need a car and phone before then.. $$$$$$
Bills-bills-bills. I feel your pain. :^(

This is looking to be such a solid build. Fingers crossed it's every bit as good as it promises to be!

Z

Zaf

Thanks guys :)
Also got 2x Ardents 2.4 (trail riding) & 2x High Roller II 2.3 (Enduro race) tyres
The Dual Pos is really cool, I think it'll really widen the ability of this bike to be ridden 'daily' and also destroy the D's with the adjustable rear end as well
New Ardent 2.4's aren't as big as they used to be! I think I showed a few shots on this site of what my 26" Ardent 2.4 looks like compared to it's 2.25 counterpart, they had a proper 61mm casing on them and MUCH taller knobs. I picked up some 29x2.4's for my Honzo and they're smaller...not small, but they're more of a 58mm casing, they fall in line with maybe a 2.3 High Roller but with a much lower knob profile.

They're gonna look like XC tyres with a Lyric holding them. I don't think you're gonna beat, these days, Minion DHF up front and then an SS or DHRII out back. If you have the dry conditions, and can choose lines that don't threaten the lighter casing, a 2.35 Ikon is also a brilliant rear tyre; more grip than it's tread would indicate, i think it owes it to a fairly supple casing and a massive footprint. Can just look weird because it usually size dwarfs whatever you've put on the front.

ScooterXC

Likes Dirt
New build project! Intense Carbine29 '15

Yeah went for 2.4 ardent for that reason, Maxxis sizing is odd.. And the low profile for trail riding is what I'm after.
Rode a 2.35 Ikon on my Turner on the rear and it was great for You Yangs and stuff that didn't require braking, but rode Warburton & the Mansfield Gravity Enduro and they were just scary, I generally like to be able to slow down on steep stuff and they just slide.. See what I think, may end up just running HR2 all the time haha