XC Intense Sniper

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well, I happened to mention in another thread that I haven’t done a PYR thread for this thing yet and decided I better do something about that.

I bought the frame second hand in June last year and built it up using parts I’ve used on other bikes over the last 4-5 years. I have no idea if it's cheaper to build bikes this way but I seem to upgrade frames and then slowly update my components as I see second hand deals or maybe a good special online.

The bike has become my only MTB since then as I sold my 140mm Intense Primer frame about the same time and also sadly sold my Cotic Solaris frame not long after. There are plans in motion to remedy this so stay tuned to another build soon!

My local rides are fairly flat, around 30-50km loops and its main purpose is to go fast and not break when doing XC and Marathon racing.
The colour scheme is not my favourite at all but hey, I got it for a good deal so I’m not complaining too much! The green has flakes in it so it looks good under some sunlight.

Currently running the new XTR 12spd rear end setup while retaining my old non-boost XTR cranks and Wolftooth chainring (32t oval). No issues combining the parts and the shifting from the new Shimano 12spd stuff is unreal. I’m so used to under-load shifting that I fear for an OTB moment when I eventually jump back on a bike without it haha.

I picked up this Enve stem (70mm) off a FB page for $90 bucks. How does it perform? It’s a stem, can’t tell any difference from the Renthal, other than the extra 20mm length I wanted to try out. Would not ever pay retail for one lol.

Upgrading to the new XTR meant I needed to swap out my Hope E4’s for something Shimano as it came with an I-Spec shifter. Ended buying the new XT twin pots as the weight saving for XTR was something like 20g and a whole stash of cash. These were pain free to set up which was a relief after dealing with the Hope’s and Guides over the last few years.

Thankfully Wolftooth also makes an adapter for their dropper lever to slot nicely into the new I-Spec system. I do enjoy the look of clean bars. Just ignore my untidy cables. This frame has internal cable guides which means the rear brake cabling looks shit and I haven’t gotten around to trying to make it all work neatly and heat shrink it.

Still using the OneUp steerer tube tools. Handy but it's gotten a little rattly so I’ve started just chucking it in my bib pockets.

Stepcast 32 Factory has been going strong for a couple of years now. Picked up some black lowers on Cyclinic a while ago when they had a bit of a special. Bike doesn’t look as much like a rainbow anymore.

DT-Swiss XMC wheels have been on three of my bikes over as many years now. Haven’t had to touch them, not much else to say there!

S-Works Power saddle. Have them on both my MTB and road bike. Just like the way it feels.

I’ve been using this Fox transfer for over 4 years now. Haven’t had to touch it either. Last two bikes it’s been on I’ve been using a shim with zero issues.

Current weight? 10.7kg with pedals, cage and garmin mount.

It’s a super fast bike to get on and ride. With fairly aggressive trail geometry it inspires confidence but it doesn’t have the suspension to back it up. So it will certainly get you into trouble when it's pushed. It’s not long before you’re reminded this is an XC bike not a trail bike. I know you can buy this in a 120-120mm trail configuration but I haven’t set this up for it yet, even though I do have the longer stroke shock and a Fox 34 in the shed for just that purpose.
While the rear end is super efficient it doesn’t quite have that nice ‘supple’ feeling that my old DW-Link Turner Czar did with its 100mm.

Not a whole lot more to say really. I did have to make up my own ‘bracing’ kit for the shock linkage as without it there was a ton of play when rocking the wheels. Lots of reports of worn carbon links and destroyed bearings on the MTBR forums for a while. I ran with it until I received the official fix from Intense and it's been flawless since.

There's only one race bike I’d swap it for at the moment and that's the Pivot Mach 4 SL. So unless one comes up for sale in my size at a decent price, this thing will continue to do its job for the foreseeable future. It's not like theres any races on at the moment anyway

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
For a brief moment I thought you were putting it up for sale......

I like the green, by the way
Nope, definitely not for sale. Does it's job way to well! I love the geometry and pretty much everything about it. Was a bit of a salty start with the rear end play but once remedied, it's been flawless.

Definitely don't go into it thinking it's going to be what the cycling industry is currently calling "down-country". This isn't a trail bike. With bigger tyres and fork then you could push it further but it was designed for racing and the rear end reflects that.

Here's a photo of it with the 120mm Fox 34 but I never did any more than a local ride with that setup. Front end felt a touch tall, however looking at the photos I'm not sure if I ended up slamming the stem to compensate.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
I read most of the MTBR thread, but stopped reading it not long after your built yours.

What ended up being the factory fix?

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It was basically a cross brace in the top suspension link. Basically to save weight they built the rear triangle with no connection from the seat stays and chain stays on the drive side. So the brace just stops the flex that occurs in the carbon link.

Here's mine vs the official fix that I finally got in January this year.

And the brace goes between linkage where the seat stay joins the link itself

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Very nice. I was keen for one of these with 120mm rear travel before I decided on the Trance.
The Trail versions are now coming with a redesigned rear triangle that joins the seat stays to the chain stays on both sides, effectivity eliminating the problem but adding a bit of weight. For a trail bike, an extra few hundred grams is negligible anyway.