Internal cables & water?

omac

Likes Dirt
I wash my bike with CT18 about once a week (the hose set on light mist & then I finish with a clean rag) & I remove & clean the drive line with turps every 1 - 2 months. The problem I have is when I remove the bolt for the lower carbon bash plate cover thing under the BB, water weeps from the hole. How can I stop water getting in side the frame? I was considering blue tack lol.

I think its the two on the right letting in water?

Last edited:

ChopSticks

Banned
blue tack will be your cheapest option....

I'd also try buying a packet of $2 o-rings and using the smallest one and seeing if you can position it inplace.
also worth looking at cable protectors... you can slide them ride up agasint... maybe even inside the hole!

another option is using 4 and 5mm ID PVC tubing (found at aquarium shops or even bunnings?)

you may also find putting an O-ring around the seatpost/dropper will help!
alot of the water you find in the BB area is from water leaking down from the seatpost

edit: if the holes are indeed the source of water, maybe put the bike into the work stand and angle the bike down while washing.... should stop most of the water from dripping/spraying in.

omac

Likes Dirt
Iv plugged the holes (& the seat post) with blue tac for now because its the only thing Iv got but if it fails I'll be trying your suggestions

Cheers Chopsticks

John U

MTB Precision
Are you a plumber coz that's their answer for everything lol :)
I'm not. Absolutely, they love it. It hasn't lasted in some plumbing work I've had done. From what I've seen of how it works I thought it could be OK for your purpose. Worst case scenario is it doesn't work then pull the cables out a bit and peel it off. The only risk, providing it doesn't affect your frame, might be bits of no more gaps falling inside your frame.

MudRhino

Likes Dirt
Sikaflex would probably be best - its black and has no acid in it. Normal selastic and gap sealers can have nasty chemicals in them that rust metals - don't know if they would impact on carbon though.

omac

Likes Dirt
I'm not. Absolutely, they love it. It hasn't lasted in some plumbing work I've had done. From what I've seen of how it works I thought it could be OK for your purpose. Worst case scenario is it doesn't work then pull the cables out a bit and peel it off. The only risk, providing it doesn't affect your frame, might be bits of no more gaps falling inside your frame.
Sikaflex would probably be best - its black and has no acid in it. Normal selastic and gap sealers can have nasty chemicals in them that rust metals - don't know if they would impact on carbon though.
Cheers fellas

I'll try the simple stuff first (blue tac, PVC tube, O rings) but if they fail I'll try your method