Internet Explorer- help

Ride.Dirt.Wake.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey guys,
I know we have some computer smarts on here, and rather than registering on another forum (after many failed google searches- I have no idea what to search), I thought I'd have a go here first.

Internet explorer refuses to show facebook properly. After a lot of refreshing/changing internet settings that may affect it, and then changing them all back, no change. Can anyone tell me how to fix this? I've tried Opera, Chrome, and Firefox.

Cheers for your help.

Here's a pic to give you an idea of what's happening. And when I look at the errors, its all about CSS.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
CSS is Cascading Style Sheets, WHat you see is what happens when they don't load up. Normally it's a problem at the server end, and not the end user. I don't use Facecrap so I have no idea how to assist you on this one.
Head to my page and see if mine loads.
http://www.mtbpicsonline.com

Hux

agoer

Likes Dirt
What internet explore have you got?

You may need 7 or even 8. Which you should be able to upgrade free.

Ride.Dirt.Wake.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Your page loads perfect, and so does any other website I can think of which uses CSS. I made a CSS page and it worked. That's why I'm so confused :confused:

EDIT: I have IE8.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Your page loads perfect, and so does any other website I can think of which uses CSS. I made a CSS page and it worked. That's why I'm so confused :confused:

EDIT: I have IE8.
Is it just "your" face book site? Or all of Facebook?

Are you getting this error:

static.ak.fbcdn.net

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Have you seen this?

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=98645646192&ref=mf

The prankster that it is, Internet Explorer has thrown an issue at us recently that really had us scratching our head for a little bit. It turns out, IE 6/7/8 has a limit on the number of CSS files you can load. Anyone who's worked on a medium to large Drupal site knows that you can have a very large number of CSS files being loaded through the theme, since many modules load their own CSS file. It's a recipe for IE disaster.

Our scenario was this:

We were utilizing a conditional ie.css stylesheet for browser-specific CSS hacks. It was working fine and being properly loaded for a while, but one day something happened and it seemed like none of our IE CSS hacks were being used or loaded. So we thought, what has happened recently that affect things? A new module was turned on... and this led us down the road to discovering about IE's limit on CSS files. From their own mouths... they say 30, but I've seen various reports of 32 being the limit as well.

So, what can you do if you do run into this problem? A few things.

Turn on CSS aggregation
My preferred solution. If you go to the Performance section of Configuration admin (admin/settings/performance), you can turn on CSS optimization. This takes all the CSS files you would load on a page load and combines them into one large large CSS file that is then cached and called in place of your 30+ stylesheets that are making IE choke. Aside from making IE display your site correctly again, there are the added benefits of reduced HTTP requests, and is highly advisable on a high traffic site (which deserves it's own discussion).

Combine your theme's css files
Sometimes I'll break out the CSS for my project into a couple different files for organization's sake. I'll have a typography.css that contains only font sizes, font weights, etc... and I'll have a layout.css that only sets up widths, padding, margins, positioning stuff. I'll also have a color.css file that only has rules for background colors, borders, that kind of thing. So, if I have CSS files like these that could possibly be combined, I'll do that. Copy and paste it all from each of your separate files into a main style.css (or whatever you want to call it), and make sure you load it from your theme's .info file. Then do a good round of QA walkthroughs to make sure there's no problems that have arisen from putting it all into one file.

Use styleswitcher module to turn module CSS off
Hats off to jmburnz at adaptivethemes who reminded me about Stylestripper, the neat little module I learned about at DrupalCon during Morten's presentation. Check that out when you get a minute, pretty entertaining stuff.

Anyways, the Stylestripper module, once installed, will allow you to turn off various module-loaded CSS. If for some reason you don't go with CSS aggregation as your solution for this IE issue, then you can always turn off a bunch of module CSS this way and get your CSS file count down a few to where IE loads the site properly.

You have any other tricks?

cobba

Likes Dirt
Internet Explorer has more holes in it than swiss cheese, why don't you try one of the other internet browsers like Firefox, Opera or Safari.

cobba

Likes Dirt
Have you tried clearing the cache & cookies, sometimes that helps to fix web pages that don't load properly.

Ride.Dirt.Wake.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cleared everything. Re-installed IE8, installed chrome, opera and firefox.
It looks like 24alpha was on the money with a CSS overload. But I have not idea what to do to fix it, google has only come up with solutions for the website creators.

Jarrod592

Likes Dirt
hey dude, try this!? go onto mozilla, click view,click page style, then have the basic page style clicked .... see if that works

Ride.Dirt.Wake.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It was already selected, no difference. :(
This is really annoying.
Could it be to do with my internet filter? facebook is a page that was blocked, but I unblocked it. same thing with myspace but some parts of myspace still stuff up?