Interschools on Hardtail?

Dwnhll 4evr

Likes Dirt
I was just wondering who is riding a hardtail for DH in this year's Interschools?
If so, what bike?, and any advice to other Hardtailers?
Cheeers.

green_sasquatch

Likes Bikes
i have a kona stuff which i have raced at thredbo many times and it runs pretty great,i ran boxxer u-turns,mag 30 rims,single speed, but the first time i raced it was stock as a rock.my advice go hard but in practice take it easy look at the track and really watch ur lines,try and find smooth ones,i used to practice with mates who road duallys and then i would find my own lines,it worked for me,riding like this actually gave me first in hardtail in last years state series.hope this helps buddy

villy

Likes Dirt
If your going to ride a hardtail make sure you have plush big travel forks. i rode for a day there with shermans set to 110 and stiff as hell and my hands hurt like a mofo. just some advice.

.BP.

Likes Dirt
Just at the end of last year i rode it on mongoose fireball with stance flows set on 150mm and found that it gets a bit hard on the hands but i think with good brakes it would be fine.If you dont have good brakes your hands are going to hurt.

Dwnhll 4evr

Likes Dirt
I sholud be alright, i'm getting an 06 Manik with 170mm drop off tripples and hayes HFX-9 HD.
I just hope I have the bike before the comp.

kane0005

Likes Bikes
if you think your gonna win on a hard tail or keep up with a dually on the dh track at thredbo your kidding yourself last year the 4x track was the last section on the dh track so it was even hard for a ht to win on that. Thredbo is not the place for a HT.

robbyloveday

Likes Dirt
mate who says he wants to win maybe he just wants get out there give it his all and have fun with his mates. MAybe he only has a hardtail. I for one think its good to see variety and hardtailers. Think what your saying

hardinge915

Likes Bikes and Dirt
kane0005 said:
if you think your gonna win on a hard tail or keep up with a dually on the dh track at thredbo your kidding yourself last year the 4x track was the last section on the dh track so it was even hard for a ht to win on that. Thredbo is not the place for a HT.
You cant be serious. If you are smooth on a HT you can beat a dually. It's all about line choice.

gibbo4

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have a look at the race results from races around Australia - some of the hardtails beat the guys on duallies! As the above people have said, A) you have no idea :p and, B) picking the right lines, pedalling whenever you can, cornering well, etc will enable you to beat a dually

farkus

Likes Dirt
For 06 interschools i was told by the organisers that they will be running a hardtail division. i was down for the nationals and they sent the hardtails b4 the elite and the track was rutted to the shite.i just wouldnt do many runs before your race runs because you will be crying to mummy about your wrists when you get to the bottom. besides that its down.

kane0005

Likes Bikes
im not saying you cant win races on a ht i ride a ht and race all i was saying is it would be hard 2 win on a ht at thredbo and im all 4 goin up there 2 hang around with friends and have fun, i did it last year . u guys are so critacal about what everybody says

michael_mel

Likes Bikes
smart or not ????

hey, just a question would it be smart to run my first DH race at thredbo on my hardtail or better to hire a dullie from RAW NRG ???

kidafa

Likes Dirt
race or not it doenst matter, what ever u think u will have more fun on, first race is never about winning, its about having fun

BrumbyJack

Likes Dirt
michael_mel said:
hey, just a question would it be smart to run my first DH race at thredbo on my hardtail or better to hire a dullie from RAW NRG ???
It will be more fun, easier and less daunting on a duallie..... but you could still do it on a hard tail. Plenty of people use hardtails....

Saw a guy today on an NRS-1 :) a duallie, but definitely an XC bike.... was more worried about the bike than the rider though.