Interview with Sam Hill

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi all,

I just interviewed Sam Hill for BMU. Sharing is caring :) I thought some of you might appreciate it:

Photo by rider219

Sam Hill (born 21 July 1985) is an Australian professional downhill mountain biker. He was two time consecutive UCI World Downhill Champion during years 2006-2007. He also won the 2007 UCI Elite Mens Downhill World Cup. He currently rides for the Monster Energy Specialized Downhill Team for the 2009 season.

Personal Details
Date of Birth: 21 July 1985
Place of Birth: Viveash WA
Resides: Glen Forrest WA
Web site: http://samhillmtb.com/

Major Awards/Honours
2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 Australian Male MTB Cyclist of the Year
2003 Australian Junior Male MTB Cyclist of the Year
Two time consecutive UCI World Downhill Champion 2006-2007
Winner 2007 UCI Elite Mens Downhill World Cup

BMU Interview 15/02/09

BMU: Hi Sam, many people loved riding bikes when they were kids, but lost it somewhere along the line. Many riders out there have only just recently gotten back into biking and it doesn't take long for them to hear of "Sam Hill". How does that recognition make you feel?

SH: I THINK ITS REALLY COOL. IT MAKES ME FEEL HONOURED THAT PEOPLE WOULD ASSOCIATE ME WHEN THINKING ABOUT MOUNTAIN BIKING.

BMU: Why do you ride? We know you love downhill riding and racing, but do you have a genuine passion for bicycles? Do you own and ride other bikes apart from DH bikes?

SH: I PRETTY MUCH HAVE A FULL COLLECTION OF BIKES. I JUST LOVE TO RIDE ANYTHING REALLY, SOMETIMES JUST FLOWY SINGLETRACK ON MY XC BIKE OR A MELLOW ROAD RIDE, I JUST LIKE BEING ON A BIKE. I USUALLY TAKE A BIT OF TIME OFF IT AT THE END OF EACH SEASON JUST TO KEEP IT FRESH WHEN I DO RIDE.

BMU: What bikes do you currently have in your collection?

SH: I HAVE A SPECIALIZED DEMO 8, P.3 HARDTAIL , STUMPJUMPER FOR XC RIDING, ROUBAIX ROAD BIKE,

BMU: What's your earliest memory of riding?

SH: I JUST REMEMBER BEING ABOUT 3 OR 4 AND RACING DOWN MY DRIVEWAY ON A LITTLE 16" BMX AND THROWING IT SIDEWAYS IN THE GRAVEL GETTING A DRIFT GOING AND THEN DOING IT ALL OVER AGAIN.

BMU: "Tall poppy syndrome" is a sad part of Australian culture. There always seems to be haters out there trying their best to cut successful people down, what are your thoughts on this, does this pressure affect you and how do you deal with it?

SH: I JUST TRY TO BLOCK OUT THE PRESSURE AND NOT HAVE TO DEAL WITH IT. I HAVE ENOUGH PRESSURE FROM MYSELF RACING SO I TRY NOT TO GET CAUGHT UP IN PRESSURE FROM OTHERS. JUST DO MY OWN THING.

BMU: Lance Armstrong goes as far as weighing the pasta he eats. What's your diet like?

SH: I DEFINATLY DONT WEIGH IT. I DO TRY TO EAT HEALTHY, WHEN I AM AT HOME I EAT PRETTY GOOD BUT ITS ALOT HARDER WHEN WE ARE ON THE ROAD. I PRETTY MUCH JUST TRY THE BEST I CAN DURING THE SEASON AND THEN DONT WORRY TOO MUCH DURING THE OFF SEASON.

BMU: A lot of people dream to be paid to do the things they love most but a common reality is that work and play don't mix too well, and that work could actually destory a passion. How do you find riding for work?

SH: THE LAST COUPLE OF YEARS HAVE FELT A BIT OLD TO ME, BUT I AM REALLY EXCITED ABOUT THIS SEASON, ITS ALMOST LIKE A FRESH START WITH MY NEW SPONSOR SPECIALIZED SO IM LOOKING FORWARD TO IT. TRAINING FEELS LIKE A JOB BUT WHEN THE RACES COME AROUND ALL THE WORK IS DONE AND ITS A BIT LIKE A RACING HOLIDAY.

BMU: Thanks so much for the interview Sam, you've made some amazing marks in your career and we hope you continue making more marks in future.

Gruntled

Likes Dirt
BMU: Thanks so much for the interview Sam, you've made some amazing marks in your career and we hope you continue making more marks in future.

Skidmarks?

Thanks for posting JF.

kona480

Likes Bikes
Sam Hill (born 21 July 1985) is an Australian professional downhill mountain biker. He was two time consecutive UCI World Downhill Champion during years 2006-2007. He also won the 2007 UCI Elite Mens Downhill World Cup. He currently rides for the Monster Energy Specialized Downhill Team for the 2009 season.
HOLY SHIT:eek: I have the same birthday as sam hill.
and robin williams :)

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's funny. I've met a lot of great international super star designers and artists (it's what I do for a living), and a lot of great race car drivers and mechanics (I also love cars) and I've really enjoyed speaking with, meeting and on some occasions, hanging out with them all...

...but when I saw Sam sitting there in his tent at the Stromlo World Cup, with no one around at all (IE: perfect time to say G'day!) I got nervous, froze up and didn't do anything!!! It's very un-like me to be shy like that! :eek:

I'm a bit embarassed to wear his shoes, but I'm definitely a fan. :)

Hardrock_rider_23

Likes Dirt
thats really good to see hes pumped for the enw season
thanks for sharing justin
by the way i was just wondering......

WHATS WITH THE CAPS LOCK?